Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Me" Top Flight Spitfire Build, .60 Size"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Me" Top Flight Spitfire Build, .60 Size"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:30 PM
starcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me" Top Flight Spitfire Build, .60 Size"

Howdy, Here's another Top Flight Spitfire Mk IX .60 Bird. Started with the tail section; per the instructions, have around 6 hours with sanding, glueing etc. So far so good, Check it out if your going to build one, this might give you some insight. starcop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74622.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1000242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58027.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1000243  
Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 PM
bipeguy03

Default RE: Me" Top Flight Spitfire Build, .60 Size"

keep 'em comin! I've been thinking about a TF warbird for awhile, and I always enjoy following the build threads one here!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
starcop

Hello Spitfire pilots, well, thus far I have the tail, rudder mostly completed. Ah, it's almost time to clean off the desk and get in to the meat of the project and build the wings! So far around 8 hours of build time, sanding, glueing; you know all the fun stuff. Sometimes you have to set aside being a perfectionist! I try but have to remind myself to move on; you have wings to build. heres the pics! starcop

Name:	Wu60058.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1001019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71968.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1001020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88920.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1001021  
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 AM
starcop

Howdy Friends, Just a few photos of completion; the rudder, elevator. Now it's time to Vacuum the table, clean my build desk and prepare for the "Meats" (Wings). Enough of the childs play. I still haven't decided on which retracts I'd like to install. Century Jets has a beautiful set for this model, or Spring Air. I'm heading towards Century Jets Spitfire Retrtacts; any info would be appreciated from others with this plane. After all, the landing gear is one of the most important componants on an airplane, it just doesn't make sense to skimp, or be cheap if you want a model to land properly without causing un-seen damage over time. So the Robarts, Century Jets. Spring Air; those are the choices. Radio, I'm just going to use my old SX600 JR set-up. I'm going to use either a Saito 100 4 stroke, or the O.S .61 FX, but it might be slightly under- power? Another topic for descussion. (I can't spell everything right all the time, so bare with me.) The last Spitfire I owned had the O.S .91; that motor tore it up! Once you break an engine in, "right way" they come alive. I've seen several times a guy breaks the motor in wrong, and the motor never reaches it's full potential. So engine is a topic to think about. Color scheme, I'm going with what's on the box, Mono-kote with luster-kote camo, & stripes. So if anyone wants to add anything, please do! Thanks, starcop

Tail, Rudder.

Name:	Qo40947.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1001241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83284.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1001242  
Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
hrrcflyer

Starcop,

If you dont want to fool with retract serve linkage or air for your retracts, go to www.lado-tech.com. They make 60 size retracts with a worm gear motor built into the unit so all you do is plug them into your receiver. Also, they a made completely of machined steel and are excellent quality. I've bought two sets of them. I put one set in a P51 and I bought a set for my US60 kit that I going to build. Check them out and if you have any questions, give Doug a call, he is more than helpfull with any questions you have.

Keep up the good work!!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:16 PM
starcop

Hi all, Well, after a minor hand surgury, I'll have to take a couple days off.[sm=cry_smile.gif] I was able to start the wing though; dang I want to keep going, but the "Pain" is too much. Even with pain meds; it's still hurts like heck. [sm=48_48.gif] I've decided to order the set of gear per the last post! What a nice landing gear set-up that will be, I can't wait to see them. [sm=omg_smile.gif] Alright enough smiley faces too. So I'll get back to my wing; provided the pills kick in, or it stops throbbing so I can build. Saturday is club day at the "Y", or the flying field-so I have to heal up. I'm going to be maiden flight my Corsair, plus get another flight on the Great Planes Mustang I built for fathers day. It flys excellent! So for those of you watching as I go, I hope it's amusing or maybe it helps for you to decide to build one. I hear they are wonderful to fly; provided you get the right landing gear! Every-one always skip, well most of us, the most important part of flying Warbirds. I know I've done it, and paid the price. So this time is all or nothing. Now I need to find the right engine to power her. I'd like plenty of power, I'm not concerned with fitting everything inside the cowl. Although I want to keep it clean. So it's either a four or two stroke, I'll need to do my homework. O.S is my first choice for Two stroke. starcop "out'...

Thank you, hrrcflyer for the Landing Gear info! If anyone else has info" I can use please post it. I'm all ears. [sm=49_49.gif]

Name:	Fd91194.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1001538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93833.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1001539  
Old 07-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I see I really like those gears, the prices aren't too bad either. Just not having to hook up all those nasty air lines and valves makes these gears look good.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 AM
hrrcflyer

Hey Starcop,

With regards to engine options, let me start off by saying that I love 4 strokes, escecially in war birds so my opinions on engines reflect that!

My brother and I put a Saito 100 in his Hangar 9 Spitfire barf (arf) and the only thing that stuck below the bottom of the the cowl was the front of the valve covers. So if your Top Flight is anything like the Hangar 9 arf, concealing the engine should be fairly simple. Also, if you think you need a little more power than the 100, take a look at the new Saito 115. Its more powerfull than the 100, but shares the same physical size of the Saito 91 which is a little bit smaller. If you want to go all out, a YS 110 should just about rip the wing off your Spitfire!!

I hope you get over your hand surgery real soon. I'm looking forward to seeing your build thread continue...
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
starcop

Hello Again, My hand is feeling better so I'm going to try and build; at least the left side wing. I'll have to order the Lado gear Monday, can't wait to see this set-up. Should be allot easier to install without all the Air-lines, valves, etc. This will speed things up, I'm all for that. Saturday I'm going to maiden flight, break in the 4 Stroke .91 engine; I love those maiden flights, gets the adrenaline pumping. So far I've only had one crash during a maiden flight and that was 2 years ago with a CMP Jap Zero, it was tail heavy reguardless of how much weight I added, so I think the instructions were wrong. After the Spitfire, I'm going to tackle the P47 Thunderbolt, "Jug"; maybe a little whisky...? So on-ward I go Gents, it's looking good so far, first Top Flight I've built. starcop

Well, I let it set 24 hrs with CA, then I re-inforce with Alphatic Resin; should be "good to go". "Next!" (right-wing)

I do "Z" same tink, too Z other side unt, next photo! I be movink along. Z right vink.

Name:	Qn38209.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1001926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15860.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1001927  
Old 08-02-2008, 11:06 AM
starcop

Hi All, The Right Wing, just have to let the glue set; then finish all the intricate stufferony. Can't spell very well, so bare with me. starcop

Name:	Bz78943.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1002467  
Old 08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
starcop

Hello, Not much in the way of comments; that's okay. For those of you thinking about building this aircraft, go for it! Like I said, I haven't built in years; as long as you have time and a few bills to spend, this kit is pretty straight forward, not hard at all. Here is the Wings starting to take shape, I'm building flaps- so I still have a bit of work ahead. The fusalage is straight forward too; at least from others who have built this plane. I'm using epoxy in areas that will have allot of force, then I go back over with Alphatic Resin to re-assure the CA glue. I don't fully trust CA yet. It's just a new product for myself, and I don't know it's holding strength. So heres a few more photos, hope everyone decides to build this one! Do it! Just do it! starcop

Name:	Db86093.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1002762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86007.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1002763  
Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
starcop

Howdy Again, So here are the parts I have this far. I've been building now about 10 hours at my leasure; not trying to go fast. The Rudder, Tail Assembly, Center Wing, Right and Left Wing; they just need to be skinned. So getting close to the Fusalage! [8D] I'll have a plane before you know it. This kit is wonderful to build, there are a few areas that can be slightly confusing; but it's nothing they don't cover if you just slow down and read the instructions. I've only had "one, mistake. I glued a servo tray in the wrong spot. It looked wrong, I knew it but from the plan it fit. But it was a wrong part; so I just went back in the parts list, looked up the correct number and found it. Lucky me, it was suppose to be cut down the way I installed it after removing all the glue. So it's like it never happend. Now I'm going to be stuck, because I don't have the re-tracts, now that I'm ready for them; I still have to figure out what engine I'm going to use. Then I have a servo issue, I need to buy a flight pack; I'm going with JR 537 servos. They have enough torque plus they've always worked well for me in the past. Here's a few more photos of the progress.

Matt
One area of the plans; didn't show where the wing guides goes, it's very vague. But I was able to switch it to the wing side, so it installed the same way. I see now from what the other guy was saying when he did the same thing, building this plane. It's not a big deal, you can do it either way. But you can see in the picture, your suppose to have the wing guides (Both sets) in the center wing. I have the clamps in the photo, you can see the guides I'm talking about. Both should be; on the center wing, not on the wing, but it still will go together the same. So it shouldn't matter. [&:]

Name:	Us52960.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1003637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92343.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1003638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56539.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1003639  
Old 08-03-2008, 10:48 PM
starcop

Just me, Every thing is lining up perfectly! I'm pleasantly surprised that the wood choosen for this model is not worped. So far every part lines up correctly with zero error; at least it's not even a 32nd off. I've worked myself to the point I need to order re-tracts; again I can keep building fusalage, etc; but I really at this point need wheels! Dang, I don't like to have to wait for shipping. After building 2 complete airplanes last month my wifes ready to cut me off. I built a G/Planes Mustang- $600.00 or more, the Hangar 9 Corsair- $700.00 or more; and now I'm building this Spitfire. So I guess I'd better slow it down on the spending. I'll probably buy the re-tracts next week; so I'll continue on body, wings; as far as I can go. Anyone going to build this plane? It would be nice to have some in-put. "Anyone"? So for those of you watching, I hope thus far has been cool. Till, next time. starcop

I was thinking, why not go Electric on this one? Shoot, put an AXI 4130/ 16; 60 size with 20C Lipo in series; probably a 6S. I bet this bird would have power to spare- although flight times might be an issue. I'll have to look into that, no-one I know has used electric with this Spitfire. I could always add sound if I want a true War-bird sound. This might work for the tail heavy issue this model has been known to have. I can't see this thing being tail heavy, but you don't know till it's on the C.G machine. Anyone know if electric would work for this plane? Has anyone used the AXI motor in one? Thanks, Matt

This motor is for .60 size aircraft up too 11 pounds or sail-planes up too 15 pounds. I bet this is the ticket with a adjustable motor mount. I'm thinking of this direction. Anyone know about this? They also have a 4130/ 20 for .72 to .80 so that's the motor I would want; have that little extra.

Name:	Rp42182.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1003920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19510.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1003921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78439.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1003922  
Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 AM
hrrcflyer

Starcop,

Electric in a warbird??[X(][X(]. Tell me you're joking please OK just kidding. Besides, its your plane, so you can build it however you wish. Heck, you can visit the classic pattern forum and see people who are putting electrics in classic Kaos and Aurora kits.

Keep up the good work and you'll have a flying Spitfire in no time!!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 AM
starcop

Hi hrrcflyer, "I know, "I know; electric in a classic war-bird such as this Spitfire. It's like riding a moped to a Harley Davison contest. I just want to try simplisity for a change. It would be nice to just plug and fly, no more fuel spills, clean up, etc. Although, I love the smell of fresh nitro burning. Plus it's cool to hear the engine roar. But electrics have come a long way; they even have a sound in those larger motors that is pretty cool. It's just one bird, I'm still an old fuel flyer- but every now and then, I like to change things up. Sooner or later most of the R/C will convert to electric because the cost will be more economic. Please don't kick me out of the Beer-mans Club! [sm=lol.gif] I just want "one" electric. (Joking around). Who knows when I get to that point, or build portion; I may go glow. I'm just heading that direction if everything works out, like I want it to. I have a ways to go, still need to learn about; "what packs, series, charge rates, fly times, all kinds of fun stuff. Every-one who's changed over to electric swears by it, they say they'd never go back. [:'(] I just want to fly, without breaking the bank. starcop
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
starcop

Howdy Build fans, I was able to order retracts today. Although I bought the Robart heavy duty the kit calls for. I'm just going to go the tried and true way; except for the motor. The AXI is how I'm powering the bird. I have the charger, electrical connectors from helicopters I used to fly, so this will be fool proof, no dead stick landings, no mess to clean up; just battery fee's! [&:] But, once you do it, it's all fly time. So I picked up servos, installed the flap servo, linkage, blocks to house the Robarts hinges. I didn't get a lot done, but a little is enough for tonight. Tomorrow I'll spend more time covering the wings, or skin the wings. Here are the pics. No fun without photos. starcop
Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
starcop

Hi guys, I had to delete the last pictures; they were to big. I'll re-post them when I get home from work. Speaking of work; I better get to! starcop

I have Flaps, well almost; I have the left wing done, right is just about complete. Then I should have my landing gear Thursday. [:'(] Oh, well can't win 'em all.

Name:	Rp42634.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1005046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wg12282.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1005047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73699.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1005048  
Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Keep up the good work! I have had this kit nib for ten years.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 PM
starcop

Howdy Friends, Sp planeKrazee; ten years? Wow, why don't you build it..? Just wondering, I know some people buy these kits and either never get around to building them; and the balsa "worpse", or they hold on to them for keep sakes, until they stop making the kit. I just couldn't hold a kit, I'd sooner or later start building it, even if it was a piece a day. So in about a years time I'd have it close to completion. But now days I enjoy my free time more by building and flying on the weekends. Seems like a pretty good time to me, although I don't seem to do as much of the flying part, as I tend to build every night. That's just what you have to do; when you have a kit, the moment you stop and decide to hold off, it becomes a box of half finished balsa wood- collecting dust. They know who I'm talking about. I'm just enjoying this so on-ward I go. So far so good, the Flaps are complete and doped for paint. I'm going with aluminum green, just like in the real bird when they primer the metal. I'll post photos tomorrow, I need to get a few more parts finished. [sm=punching.gif] Keep on "Building"! starcop

Oh, by the way; I did pick out the motor today, seems I'm going to show everyone at the club; especially the "Glow Boys" how a big bird performs. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 AM
PlaneKrazee

What are you planning for battery packs? 5s2p 4200? How will you access them for charging? You could make the scale fuselage tank forward of the canopy magnetically removable and have them slip as far forward as possible into cowl area for balance. I'd try to get them right behind the electric motor mount by making a larger, deeper motor box that your Axi motor bolts to and hollow out the firewall so the batteries can fit forward into the box. The kit shows the engine box six inches behind the cowl and I think thats is too far aft to get it to balance with electric power. With two pounds of batteries plus the motor you don't want to add additional nose weight for balance.

From what I have read about this model you will need to be very weight conscious, especially tail weight or it will weigh 11 or more pounds before you know it. They will fly at that weight but somehow TopFlight got the prototype to weigh what, 9 pounds? They probably used select 6 to 8 lb balsa for it, not what is in the average kit.

I have an epoxy glass fuse 1/6th scale 74" Mick Reeves kit I'd like to build someday also. They are said to come in around 12 pounds.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my TF spit weighs in at a hefty 11lbs Robart gear pumped OS 91 spII I ended up with over a lb.of lead in the nose with the battery pack right behind the engine in the cowl area,no need to get too carried away with the glue,double glueing tite bond over CA is just going to add more weight to a heavy building plane,if I build another one I will do more to lighten the airframe as much as possable,even more than I already did.

Name:	Hf98761.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1006077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96977.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1006078  
Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
starcop

Howdy Gents, I'll modify the fusalage to except batteries forward; behind the motor. I suspect I'll have to order batteries and all the materials before I start to build. I'm fairly certain I can keep it under 10 pounds; every one seems to think glue adds "so much weight" but in reality, it would take "globs" of glue to add any significant weight to the model. Most of the weight is usually from finish coat, engine, servos, retract gear and all the parts not made of balsa. Ten pounds is allot; there is no way mine will be over that, I can trim if I need to. starcop

The batteries I'm going to use; well I haven't gotten that far yet, I'm going to use dual batteries in series. I'll have to make a large enough compartment to house 2 batteries with velcro with foam pad to protect the unit. I'm in the building phase, I'm going to "McGeyver" it, (modify) when nessesary. Matt

I will possibly design a battery cover, easy to open and magnetic close. Or a plunger type spring loaded closer. I will need to be secure for flying performance.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
PlaneKrazee

Starcop,

Batteries, motor, prop.

You should search on Tom Hunt to see what he uses for his warbirds this size and copy him.

Also,

This model is built for glow. The fuse can have about 1/3rd the balsa/ply removed and be more than strong enough.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
ctxray

Hi Starcop,
I find this an interesting thread as I also have the TF Spit to build. I hope to have it done before 10 years but it won't be right away. This is my 2nd year in RC and last year I bought the Spit and DC3 kits. At almost 57 I am looking ahead to retirement and knew these were 2 kits I wanted, so I bought them while I was still making money. I also have a GP RV4 kit and 2 partly built kits that were given to me. As for the Spit, the electric setup is of interest as I have given that some thought. Any paint would do as fuel peeling it would not be an issue. What have you done in regards to washout ? Some say you need 2 or 3 degrees, some say build according to the plans. Good luck and I'll be watching for picture updates.

Bob
Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob washout is incorporated in all TF warbirds, the wing ribs have tabs to insure there is the correct washout in each wing pannel,as long as you follow the instructions there clearly done with step by step manuals, these are fairly strait forward building kits.

I have only seen one of the DC-3 kits it looked nice, but as a builder of the spit there were little surprises.

other than the weight issue,the landing gear rails are hard to line up perfectly,I ended up having to make a epoxy and micro balloons mix and wrapping the gear in plastic to set the bed,so the retracts sit perfectly strait in the rails, allowing the gear to rotate smoothly.
I used the Robart air gear recomended by TF and great planes/towerhobbies,they had a slight twist and would bind when they were screwed directly to the gear rails since I have done the rail mod they work perfect the ammount of epoxy is minimal but just a little twist caused the sticking issue.
somthing to keep a eye on,it was quite simple to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.