Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Just purchased a GP Ultra Sport 60!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Just purchased a GP Ultra Sport 60!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Strick67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a GP Ultra Sport 60!

A breif introduction of myself. Im 25 years old and live in Doylestown, PA. I have flown before, probably about 10 years ago with my grandfather. Probably about 25 flights total on a Sig Kadet, I can still remember the way it used to float around, almost jokingly hard to crash! Anyway, Im itching to get back into the hobby and have done a bit of reading on the Kit forum and the Ultra Sport seems to get nothing but praise from intermediate->top notch exp pilots. I currently am using Real Flight G3.5 and I cant remember the last time I crashed while not trying something along the lines of extreme 3D (Not really what Im trying to get into, at least not now[8D]). The Sim is another reason why I chose this kis, I absolutly LOVE the way it performs. I've built RC boats in the past and finished an ARF plane or two, and really want the challenge of putting together a kit from scratch. Craftsmanship is something I pride myself on, so I'm really excited to see how this turns out.

Since I've given most of my RC gear to a cousin, Im looking to get new stuff. Whats a well rounded Radio I can use and grow with? I eventually want to get into flying Warbirds (P51, Corsair ect) and posibly use the raido for a Heli later if possible. Whats a good engine to get for this model? I"ve read it likes the speed of a 2 stroke, but I am really interested in learning more about 4 strokes. Also, I'm thinking of making this in to a tail dragger style plane with retracts (Im going to assume most will advise against this, but I like the setup of a dragger). Any other recomendations/tips for a rusty pilot? Thanks in advance! -Ryan
Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Just purchased a GP Ultra Sport 60!

Well, you've picked the best plane ever.

I also agree with taildragger/retracts. It may be a bit advanced for you, but if you've got the sim time, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

I'm one of those who prefers a 2-stroke (Even though I'm a 4-stroke lover at heart) But since you want to explore 4-strokes, AND you eventually want to get into Warbirds, I would suggest the OS 91 Surpass. It is moderately priced, has loads of power and it's one of the most reliable engines I own (I actually own several of them - as well as many other 4-strokes in various sizes and brands) AND it is an excellent choice for just about every 60-size warbird on the market.

In fact, I just got back from the field and was watching my dad fly the Top Flight P-51 that I just reviewed for RCU Magazine with the OS 91. What a great combo! The review has not gone live yet but should do so any day (Week?) now (Whenever RCU decides to post it)

One last thing - Add flaps! If you looked through the US threads you've probably seen my Flap modification. It's worth the extra effort!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan,

The ultra sport is a good choice.

I regards to the radio equipment. Depending on your budget and preference, you can use from many brands. Low budget options are 6-or-7-channel radios around $350.00 and less, including the 8-channel Airtronics on sale now. Mid to high budget are 9 or more channel radios. These start from $500.00 and up. Most of the radios have three mode options: aerobatic, sailplane, and heli.

Technology wise, most of them are spread spectrum transmission. So, there is no channel interference with other pilots. I believe there are a few options left with synthetic channel. These are conventional channel radios that can be programmed to any channel on the spot.

This are my 2 cents without going deep into a particular brand/model.

Pedro
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
MinnFlyer

As far as radios go, even on a budget you can get a good 6-channel radio (72MHz) w/4 servos for under $200:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXRXF6**&P=SM

I have been flying for over 40 years and have never needed more than 6 channels. My ultra Sport has retracts and flaps, so it uses all 6

If you can afford a little more, I highly recommend stepping up to a spread spectrum radio (2.4GHz). Here's the same radio in a 2.4GHz version (also w/ 4 servos) :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSFY3&P=SM
Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

The futaba 7C is also a good radio. It has a lot more features than the 6ex but is still a economic radio. I really like mine. I have had it for 3 years and dont see needing another radio anytime soon.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Strick67

Thanks for the heads up guys, good advice so far. Im beginning to gather tools/supplies to start construction next week when the kit arives from Tower. So far I have aquired a nice X-Acto set, about 4 different types of glue, sand paper ect. I really need to grab 10ish or so clamps, anybody recomend a good one? As far as my work surface is concerend, whats a good one to use? I'll be working on a counter top thats in a finished basement thats about 9' long, plenty of room. I just need to find something to put ontop of it so I can pin my work down, I was thinking cealing tiles (I may have a few laying around).

My next purchase will be the power plant for this plane, as Im pretty positive I need it to shape/build the cowl of the plane. I have been doing a bit of research on the O.S. .91 Surpass II and it seems like an awesome engine that I can definatly grow with. Its a bit pricey at (370$ if i remember correctly), but it comes with a fuel pump, is this needed? They also offer one without.

As for a raido Im leaning towards a Futaba, I've always loved their products and have never had a qualm with them. I was thinking a 7ch PCM model, but may opt for a 9 or 10 channel to get the big purchase out of the way.

Whats a good covering to use for this project? Retracts? So many decisions to make!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
MinnFlyer

A ceiling tile works well for pinning.

Get the 91 Surpass WITHOUT the pump. It's only about $200 and I have heard a lot of bad things about the pump. Besides, it's just not needed.

I just reviewed the Futaba 10C radio. If you want to go big, that's the one to get. TONS of features at a VERY respectable price. However, it is WAAAY more than you will ever need. I would recommend sticking with the 6 or 7 ch.

Covering: I prefer Ultracote, but I also use MonoKote if there's a particular color I need. I did some covering videos a few years ago where I covered an UltraSport 40 wing. Here they are if you want some pointers:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=726
Old 07-30-2008, 01:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
Get the 91 Surpass WITHOUT the pump. It's only about $200 and I have heard a lot of bad things about the pump. Besides, it's just not needed.
Mike,
When was the last time you priced a OS 91 Surpass???? It's more like $299!!! [X(]

Ken
Old 07-30-2008, 01:49 PM
MinnFlyer

My LHS had them for about $219 if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they've gone up
Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

My LHS had them for about $219 if I'm not mistaken. Maybe they've gone up
WOW!!! Put me down for 2 of 'em if they are that price!!!!!

Ken
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
MinnFlyer

When they open up again, I'll let you know!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I was wondering if that was the same shop that they were talking about in the other tread. Sad to hear about. I liked that shop.

Isn't that the same guy that sets up the table in Toledo??

Ken
Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
MinnFlyer

Yup, Sounds like they will be re-opening
Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken and Mike-

Tried to send you guys a PM about Hobby Warehouse, but I think I got too wordy and timed out. I'll send Mike an e-mail that he can forward on to Ken.

-Scott
Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Ultracote is definetly the way to go with covering. Look up monokote windex method. Generally I cover my planes in ultracote and then use the windex method with monokote for the trim. It works great.

Also look at the magnum 91 4 stroke. Its a great engine. Probably my favorite all around sport engine.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Navy18

Quick question, I am also building an Ultrasport 60 and heard the prop clearance with the 91 Surpass is troublesome... is this correct? What is the best prop combo for the shortlegged ultrasport with a 91?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 AM
MinnFlyer

I would use a Graupner 13.5 x 8

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/grprop.htm
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

This kit is SANDING INTENSIVE

Do yourself a favor and get a good 3D sander like [link=http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911633000P]THIS[/link] One.

Also, if you really want to make this plane stand out from the rest, choose the option to do the wing fillets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53403.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1043703  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Navy18

OK, the instruction manual is alittle sparse on techniques for the wing fillet.... what are the known tricks/methods to producing a high quality wing-root fillet that will last?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

I was really surprised at how easy it was to do. All you have to do is:

1. Place a large piece of wax paper over your wings to avoid gluing the wing to the fuse
2. mix up some 30 minute epoxy and stick the wing fillet ply to the wing saddle (where the wing rests)
3. screw your wing to the plane making sure that the wax paper will catch all of the excess epoxy
(This creates a perfect curve for your fillet)
4. While this is drying, cut little pieces of triangle stock about 1/4 inch wide
5. attach these to the wing fillet and outside of the fuse body for strength.
6. After this dries, you can remove the wing from the fuse and use light filler to fill in the gaps inbetween the small pieces of triangle stock
7. sand smooth!

Wish I took pictures of this procedure....
Old 09-30-2008, 11:24 AM
MinnFlyer

What I did was - once the fillet base is glued in place, I added Tri-Stock to the corner of the fillet from the TE to the highest point of the wing. The angle doesn't have to match perfectly because this is only used for bulking up the area so you don't need so much wood filler.

Then fill the area with Elmer's wood filler.

Once it is filled, wet you finger and smooth it out, or use a wet spoon to get a nice even curve.

Let dry and sand. Touch-ups may be necessary
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Navy18

I guess since I am not yet building the fuselage, this seems alittle fuzzy to understand. It sounds like you already have a basic fillet built and you are trying to add area to it. Is this correct? Is there a thread with pics for the unenlightened?

Thanks guys... I agree, from the planes I've seen, this does make it stand out.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: tmproff

Wish I took pictures of this procedure....
I'll make a point of doing that
Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
hrrcflyer

Ryan,

If I could add my 2 cents worth here, I'd say build it with retracts!!!!. There are many good quality mechanical and pneumatic units available, however if you are lazy like me, take a look at the units at www.lado-tech.com. These retracts are electric with a motor built into each retract to operate the gear. The best part about them is you don't have to fool with air lines, linkages, retract servo's etc. All you do is plug them into your receiver and you are good to go. I have a set for my US60 which I plan on building this winter.

If you want allot of valuable information including excellent pictures on building your Ultrasport, look up Minnflyer's US60 build thread here on RCU. He gives many helpfull tips, including adding flaps AND moving your landing gear out a bay to accomodate longer gear which is needed for the larger props.

Good luck with your US60 and if you run into any problems you can ask them here and you'll have an answer in no time.!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Navy18

It sounds like you already have a basic fillet built and you are trying to add area to it. Is this correct?
In the kit there are two very thin Die-Cut plywood fillet bottoms. You glue these to the wing saddle as a base.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74838.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1043738  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.