Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Engine mounting in Fiberglass fuselage?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Engine mounting in Fiberglass fuselage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Sledneck
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mounting in Fiberglass fuselage?

I have decided to build a Dirty Birdy kit that I have It is and old G&S Hobby's wood kit. I have a fiberglass fuselage that I bought too.
For the life of me, I cant figure out the best way to mount the engine. I think the only options would be to either, Try and epoxy a plywood firewall in the proper location and using a traditional plastic mount which I think would be very difficult to do unless, I cut the fuselage even with where the firewall would mount and then try to fiberglass it back together or just let it be removable with small screws. Or, epoxy some hardwood or plywood rails for mounting the engine letting them go all the way to the leading edge of the wing.
Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of what works?

Thanks
Vince
Old 08-10-2008, 06:19 PM
echostud

Default RE: Engine mounting in Fiberglass fuselage?

Try to make contact with some of the suppliers of Q40 racing planes; they should be able to get you some photos about mounting engines/mounts in a FG fuselage. It's not a real difficult task, just time consuming to get it right.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Sledneck
Banned

Doesn't anyone have any info???
Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask this question on the Classic Pattern forum. There are lots of guys there who can walk you through this one.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Sledneck
Banned

Thank you
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Sledneck
Banned

WELL..... The RCUniverse police are out in full force "Lightfoot" He deleted my same topic in the classic pattern forum. BTW (dbacque) I got some very good information in the classic pattern forum about my question But, Now the topic has been deleted for multiple posting. He should have deleted this one... He must be really bored and nothing better to do with his time. He should have done a bit more investigating before jumping the gun. So.... Now this topic will sit here unanswered for all to view taking up precious RCUniverse server space.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
jjscott

Here's a technique from FM May 1980:

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45522.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	1009734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12524.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	1009735  
Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Sledneck
Banned

Thank you Jim.. That is one of the methods that someone in the Classic pattern forum gave me.
Here is a few more questions... Maybe another magazine article???
Hingeing a balsa rudder to the fuse? I was going to remove just the rear edge of the fuselage and epoxy a 1/2" deep strip of balsa back in and then reshape to the fuselage. Glassing over when completed.
Last but not least was the horizontal stab. I was thinking of building it out of the balsa parts tracing a pattern in the correct location on the fuse and cutting out for it. Then sliding the complete stab in at 0 incidence then building up wing fillets out of micro balloons. Or would it be better to make the stab in two pieces, epoxy to the fuse, and then doing the fillets?

Can you tell this is my first try with a fiberglass fuse???..lol

Vince
Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 AM
jjscott

I second debacque's earlier suggestion. Open a new thread in the classic pattern forum. Title it something like "Need building tips for glass Dirty Birdy". You'll get all the help you need there. Control throws, balance point, engine suggestions, build and finish tips, etc.

Jim