Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

T-Craft Maiden flight, workin out the bugs

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

T-Craft Maiden flight, workin out the bugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default T-Craft Maiden flight, workin out the bugs

Well i flew my GP T-craft 20 today in about 10-15 knots of wind with gusts up to 20. I have an os 30 surpass on there. I ran a tank through it to break in with a 10x4 prop. After the first tank i refueled and fired it up again. At full throttle i had it spinning 11,300 RPM witch was about 200 RPM rich of peek. the plane took off into the wind fine but was VERY slow. it flew very scale like. Needs a touch of rudder in the turns. A couple of scary things though. i tried to do a loop on full rates and the plane pitched up and immediately went into a spin. I pulled out the power, leveled the ailerons, gave it opposite rudder and pushed forward on the stick. it came out of the spin about 30 feet off the ground. I thought it was a goner. Any way this thing wants to spin. i took some of the throw out of the elevator. I'm sure the wind did not help either. This thing gets blown around easily. I would say 5-10 knots would be the max wind to fly the plane. Any way does any one else have this setup? how does it handle? I have a 9x4 prop i flew it with as well. i could not tell a difference in performance. I think the next thing i'm going to do is put 20 sized floats on it. Any one else running this engine prop combo with floats? how did it preform. Overall i would say the 30 Surpass is a great engine for scale performance but if you want to get wild you need a 25 fx or a 40, 52 surpass.
thanks for the input
-MAtt

Oh i'm not running the plane with wing struts or with wheel pants
Old 08-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: T-Craft Maiden flight, workin out the bugs

Dont have this setup but I did stay at a holiday inn last night. <g> Seriously, I have a gp decathalon that would snap at the top of a loop. Reducing the elevator throw cured it of that nasty habit. Had to tone it down to about 1/4" elevator throw and it was nice and gentle after that. Floats would be a good thing. Like to see a picture of that.
Edwin
Old 08-16-2008, 07:25 AM
DaveB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My T-Craft is powered with the O.S. 26 4 stroke and is a little too small. The prop is a 9X6 and is a good match. As far as handling is concerned, if I rotate a little early it wants to tip stall. I have to make sure I reach high speed on taking off. Other wise it's an easy flier.

DaveB
Old 08-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Flyboywbl

ok i'm still with a 9x6 and i was able to lean out the engine about 1/4 turn. all i can say is WOW what an improvement. No wind to day the plane flew like the little acrobat it was designed to be. now with full power and straight and level flight i can do loops, snap rolls, knife edge, ect. Not enough power for 3D but who cares. Thats what my Showtime 4D 90 and Pizzaz are for. I have no doubt that with floats this thing will be fine with power. Probably can't do as much as with out the floats but thats fine by me. What a great little kit. The greatest thing is i can fly for 20+ minutes on one tank. And with a 6 oz tank who cares how much glow fuel costs. (the heli's and bigger engines are another story). I would highly recommend getting this kit. I would say for slightly more power go with the os 40 surpass instead of the 30.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:33 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this set up. Started with a Saito .30, and it flew well with the struts and wheel pants. It would do nice aerobatics and great touch and goes. I put it on floats and upped the power to a Saito 40. I liked it enough to get a second kit as a replacement if the worst should happen. I will build the second one with a longer wing to help carry the floats, but as is it does well. You might try a 10-6 or 10-5 prop as I think it works much better.

Regards,

Dave
Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 AM
scott282
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine snapped on very little elevator input. I ended up adding a few oz (to the nose) to balance it nose heavy. Fly's with a old OS .35 fp.

Scott.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13354.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1013262  
Old 08-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Flyboywbl

i've fallin in love with this plane!!! flies so nicely! Fits in my small car (which is nice since the Tahoe costs so damn much to fill up) and the plane it self sips fuel. I do have a 10x4 prop that i tried b4 i leaned it out the said 1/4 turn. the plane barley flew. I'll give it another shot today. Do you really think it could swing a 10x5 or 10x6? I would actually like the plane to slow down more. We don't have that long of a runway and i don't like to ground loop planes to get them to stop. This is a high wing so there is less likely of a chance to scrape the wing but it's just hard on every thing. Thanks for the input guys.
-Matt
Old 08-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Flyboywbl

hey scott82, did you use Missal Red Monokote and Lusterkote? I've bought two cans of the lusterkote and both of them don't match the covering. It's very frustrating. I had to go to Home Depot and buy some rustolium red spray paint that kind of is the same. A little darker and not as orange. But you can tell the difference either way up close that they are not the same color. In the air you can't tell but it buggs me.