Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Kits

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Kits

Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Kits

The empire buy out was a good thing. The Kits will improve, customer service will improve. We win!

There is a few goldberg kits that I would like to try, after the shake out.

john
Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 8178

I built a Goldberg Skylark kit in 1966 and as I recall the kit was pretty good.

The bad part is that I probably remember the details of your Skylark better than what I had for breakfast this morning. (G)

I was flying control line combat right before I switched to R/C. I should state that it was easier to find a place to fly R/C than it was control line anything in my area. That's the only reason I stopped flying control line. Not because I took up R/C. Had I been able, I would have done both.

Anyhoo, after flying such high speed, highly responsive combat ships, R/C models flew like sedated cows, if you catch my drift. So, when the wife started building her Goldberg Skylark kit, I suggested making the ailerons from larger aileron stock.

As you certainly know, the early Falcons and Skylarks (56, of course) required you to modify the included trailing edge stock into ailerons, which didn't give you large enough ailerons to fly with, if you were a control freak like me. Being 22 years old and just married, I passed along this observation to my wife, who had just soloed flying control line and her AAMCO OS .35 powered A-Ray trainer. Being a dutiful wife, she bought some balsa and made two humongous ailerons and fitted them to her Skylark 56. You should have seen the guys expressions when the Skylark 56 she built made its debut at the field.

The theory was that if it turned out to be too much control authority for comfortable flying, we would simply begin removing a 1/4" of aileron of the trailing edge at a time until it was "just right". It actually worked out quite well. The wife could even fly it well with all of the humongous ailerons in place and left them uncut. She was and still is, an incredibly fast learner when it comes to flying those models and was a good builder right from the git-go. Unfortunately for me, she tired of R/C and switched to other hobbies. But she still pits for me occasionally.

The R/C system malfunction god (small g) finally imposed his sacrificial requirement and claimed the Skylark 56 as his own. But the wife did get in a summer's plus worth of flying before the 1968 Micro Avionics system claimed the Skylark.

Ed Cregger

Old 10-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Capt. Bill

I am building a CG Gentle Lady kit to replace an old Gentle Lady. The new kit is laser cut and is the first kit I have built that was laser cut, most of the ones I build are old kits from the 1980s. I expected everything to be perfect but a Gentle Lady has 40 ribs and a third were a 1/16" too long. That was minor but the bad part is when you have a sheet of 1/8" ply pieces and they are not cut all the way through the sheet. I hope this is not typical of the laser cutting process. The manual tells you to install 1/16" ply triplers on the formers but they are not in the parts list, shown on the plans, or included in the kit. If you want perfectly cut pieces get an old OK Models Pilot kit. Their die cutting even in 1/8" ply was impeccable.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 AM
NM2K

The Japanese manufacturers raised the bar of excellence in virtually every field in which they endeavored. That's what you have to do when you intend to penetrate a market that has already developed its old trustworthy names (USA). They did a fine job at it too.

The absolute crudest kits I have ever seen were the 1960's control line kits that were produced by PDQ Models of Millville, NJ, USA. Their crudeness is beyond description. However, I must say that the models, once built according to their rough plans, were very good flying models.

The only recently offered model (20 years ago) that approached the PDQ kits was a Global Birdie Ten kit that I bought. Since the airfoil wasn't symmetrical, I sold it unbuilt. Had it had a symmetrical airfoil, I would have persisted and built the model. I figured that by the time I reengineered the model to my specs., it would have been less work to just design and build my own version of the Dirty Birdy.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 PM
jship

Ed, You may miss a few great flying planes with your symmetrical or out the door rule.
Just a thought;
John
Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: jship

Ed, You may miss a few great flying planes with your symmetrical or out the door rule.
Just a thought;
John

You are correct, Sir! I have since seen the light - honest!

At the time I was expecting a smaller rendition of the Dirty Birdy. I totally missed the fact that that little airplane would have been a fun ship anyway.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Navy18

For what it may be worth, I have built many an Extra and even though the Goldberg kit is a much worse build compared to the Great Planes 60 Extra, the Goldberg flies noticeably better... I did not like feeding the 1.08 but the combo was a nice one. A servo failure finally did her in but the result was worth the lousy wood. Also, the Super Chipmunk was an equally nice flyer... this time with an OS91.

Sorry to hear the kits are getting a bad rap in regards to what is just poor quality control.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60479.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1062144  
Old 11-23-2008, 02:01 PM
rbratt

Hi,

I have a Goldberg Jr Tiger Kit that I got years ago for my birthday. I never had a chance to build it but I recently got it out of my parents attic and am hoping to build it now. The issue is the manual is missing, though I do have the plans. Does anyone have a copy of the manual that goes with this kit? I would be willing to pay for a copy of it. Or does anyone know of a similar plane I can use as a reference? I have contacted Goldberg which is now Great Planes and they do not have a copy of this manual. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Capt. Bill

By the way I did find the 1/16" ply former triplers. They were on one of the sheets, just not shown on the parts lists.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

ORIGINAL: bronicabill

Well, some things never change! The poor quality of Goldberg kits is one of them!

The last Goldberg kit I built was about 16 years ago. It was a Goldberg Extra 300 that I built for a friend. I had never cussed as much as I did building that thing! The parts fit sucked, the die cutting was more like die crushing, and the wood quality was poor and frequently the density was not suited for the task. If I hadn't been building it for a friend I probably would have smashed it with a hammer before I finished it.

Fast forward 16 years. I'm building a Goldberg Extra 300 of my own. I had forgotten how bad of a kit it was back then when I ordered mine, and I also didn't realize Great Planes had one in kit form that was only slightly smaller (and $50 less expensive) or I would have bought it instead! Anyway, the only difference I see now, aside from the much higher price, is that the ribs and some other parts are laser cut... or should I say laser scorched. The wood quality still sucks, I have some ribs that are rock hard and others crumble in your hand. I've replaced most of the wing sheeting because what was in the kit was so warped it was useless. What was usable was rock hard and needed to be replaced anyway. The parts still don't fit; I've had to reshape just about everything I've pulled out of the box to make it work. One of the two shaped inboard trailing edge pieces was a shade under 1/16" thinner than it was supposed to be, so I have to laminate some sheeting on it and sand it down to the right thickness. Some of the parts were almost toasted by the laser, and others weren't even cut halfway through. On top of all of that I'm going to have to spend another $60+ on a fiberglass cowling wheel pants, and aluminum gear for this thing because the stock components are of unsuitable quality!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me! Well this is twice, and I can assure you there will NOT be another!

Maybe I'm just being too picky, but I remember when I used to build kits all of the time and stuff was of much better quality. Heck, the Japanese kits like Yoshioka and MK were so good you barely had to even touch a knife or sandpaper until it was time to finish the model! Boy do I wish those kits were still available!

Oh well, back to ARFs after this one. I just don't have enough time to waste on crappy quality kits, and I'd rather be flying than building anyway. I just thought it would be fun to build my own airplane again, but the fun is long gone.

Sorry for the long rant, but it's been building (no pun intended) for weeks now! [>:]

The last Goldberg kits that I built were the Ultimate Biplane and the Anniversary Cub. Both went together smoothly and without a problem. That was in 1992. After that I bought their kit of the Bucker Jungmann, or whatever its name was. When I opened the box and saw all of the plastic parts, I closed the box and sold the kit on the internet. As far as I'm concerned, Goldberg model kits died when Carl passed on. Now, it is just a brand name, which stands for nothing. Makes me wonder why the folks at the Tower conglomerate even bothered buying it. Oh, it was probably included with the Lanier deal. Another questionable purchase, as far as I'm concerned. I have never owned anything by Lanier that ended up being a good purchase.

When kits are really bad, it is actually easier to scratch build. It is more expensive to scratch build, but if it comes out wrong, you have only one person to blame. Maybe that's why folks don't scratch build much? <G>

Ed Cregger
Ed, i will give you a PM about the Carl Goldberg Ultamate. Take care, Capt,n
Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 PM
stang78

Well, I have to put my 2 cents worth in on the quality of Goldberg Chipmunk kits. First of all I built one when they first came out and the build was uneventful. It was my 5th kit and I had already built several Goldberg kits prior. So I was familiar with the box lock construction. Fast forward to christmas 2008. My wife thought that she would be nice and buy me a new one to build over the winter. Piece of cake, right? NOT! I had forgotten that Goldberg had been bought out twice over the last several years. It was obvious that someone got the bright idea to change die cutting to laser cutting. Sig did and their kits are really nice. But as I looked through the kit, I noticed that about 34 pieces of wood were missing. I was a bit mad to say the least. So I called Great Planes{The new Goldberg, Carl must be turning in his grave about now} I have to admit that I was impressed by the service that I got from them. I had new wood in 2 days! Ok, I started building tail surfaces, no problem. Then the wing. I started noticing that the laser cutting wasn't very accurate. But in the computer world, garbage in, garbage out. So I made adjustments and the wing turned out pretty nice. I had been reading forums on the Chipmunk build and alot of people were not happy with the accuracy of the laser cutting. I started to build the fuse and thats when things weren't great. Alot of the former slots were 1/8" too short on the fuse sides for the formers. So I cut a little off the formers to compensate. I have to admit that I miss the old style of kitting airplanes, but I guess things have to progress. Fortunately, I have been building for 25 years so I was able to make the corrections on the kit and move forward. I think it will be a nice plane to have again. I think it would be a good idea for Great Planes or whoever is in charge of production quality of Goldberg kits to take a moment from time to time to make sure the kits are top notch and correct any problems that there might be. I will always be a "Builder" of kits, but sometimes an ARF will get you in the air quicker. Just food for thought for kit makers.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

rbratt: You can download the instruction manual from :

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/index.html

I like to have a 60 size ship for sport flying, so I bought the Tiger 60 kit.

I am very sad! (Awwwww poor baby!)

Why? Because this kit is an abomination! No where even NEAR CG kits of yester-year.

The instruction manual is laced with inaccuracies. The plans are drawn by someone who should NOT be drawing plans. Building directly over the plans proved very cheeky because some parts dont match the plans. The Fit of some structural components is amazingly "off".

One elevator half is as smooth as glass and the other's like Bluto's beard, with an 11 gram difference in weight between the two.Same holds true for the "Block" wood wingtips. The ailerons can go directly to Coney Island for extra parts on their roller coaster.

Friday afternoon kit, Monday morning Kit...whatever. They are slipping, that's for darn sure.

I know what It takes me to earn a buck, and spending money for this type of nonsense ticks me off.

I hope someone steps up to the plate and gives "that" man the respect he deserves! If not...they should pack it in.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 AM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've built and sometimes abandoned many kits over the years. Goldbergs are hard to build but fly great. Sigs are good quality. Great planes are also good quality but complicated. I now only scratch build simple stik and quickee 500 pylon types. The ARF's have us spoiled. I don't think the kits were ever easy to build or particularly good quality, and what with the craftsmanship in a lot of these ARF's so high and the price so low, you really wonder why you build a kit or scratch build, but I like to save the $50, and it give me something to do on rainy and snowy days. The kits days are probably numbered for the most part, but there will always be a few around, for those that like the challenge, or the old timers like me, that just can't used to the idea of a guy in a foreign country doing for me what I can do myself.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:35 PM
jackbell

I agree wholeheartadly
I am building a Chipmunk for a friend and the wood is terrible. The quality of the wood is crap!!
I havve had to replace most of the sheeting on the fuse and the wing. The formers for the body have all had to be fitted before I could even think of using any glue. The wing waas the same.
However they do fly well, but sure a re a ***** to build.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
lousyflyer

Well, I think some of you guys are slamming the CG kits pretty hard. I don't know if any of you ever saw a Bud Nosen kit, but somewhere in the insructions there should have been a section on BARK REMOVAL ! My biggest gripe about Goldberg kits was warped leading edge stock, and EXTREME variations in density between left and right L.E. stock. My Skylark 56 Mk II flew like a dream come true - until the dowel pin broke out of the leading edge and the fuse and wing parted company! It was flying at wide open throttle, and after separation the fuselage began to spin rapidly and centrifugal force flung the receiver battery pack out of the plane, leaving me helpless at reducing the engine speed. The fuselage went up like a missile, then went over in a beautiful arc and plummeted down from over 500 feet, wide open into the surrounding woods, about 1/2 mile away. I'll never forget that sound: EEAAHHHHHHEEEEE.......silence!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
bpeel

I am new to this RC stuff (although my dad built and flew them for years) and am in middle of building my first kit, a C.G. Eagle 2. I must say that I am very impressed so far with both the quality of the laser cutting, as well as the quality of the wood - only a couple small pieces had to be "fixed". Overall, it is going together just as the book says and I can't wait to get it done to see how it flies. No pic's = no cam. Me thinks I'll try a Sig kit next just to compare (the Something Extra looks like fun).
Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

CG kits are a transition kit design, they were produced with die cutting, at the time was a time saving measure, and back then the wood supply was excellent and plentifull. But as balsa has gone up in cost and measures to keep the price down, balsa quality suffers. Plus another factor is these kits weren't designed in cad, they were modernized builders planes, sig still sells them to this day, they call them craftsman kits, you have to cut out the printed balsa sheets, just like they did when sig started. Now fast forward to 2007-2008ish, great planes buys carl goldberg models, but the plans were scanned and translated to cad, pro-E or solid works. So the lazer cutting is a intervention of Great planes on carl goldberg models, but the execution was poorly done. Almost all CG models I've ever had always needed more work than a cad designed plane to build right, the wood quality is a major negative factor, but if you stick with it, the plane will be one of the niceset and truest flying planes you'll have. They didn't need to jazz them up because the designs were aerodynamicly proven designs that were correct and stable. So the general plane is good, but the quality of the materials are keeping it from being great. Have you noticed how the ultimate bipe is a wonderfull plane, because it was not designed by rube himself. The work put into assembly of the plane was well done. Of course this is my own 2 cents on CGM, I like them and always will, but sig is still above them in quality, and now Great Planes is better designed than carl goldbarg in fit and finish, but Carl goldberg is more durable and honest a flying plane.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Bass1

My first Goldberg kit was a control line/free flight "Ranger 30" back in 1963 or so. I still remember the build vividly. Sorry about being off topic here but... this thread just brought back a great childhood memory
Old 04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

I remember the Ranger too. Built strong and light with a dope finish. Hand launched and test glided till it was perfect. Then, I filled the tank on the cox pee-wee .010(big mistake), launched it, up she climbed till it was a downwind speck in the sky...and never saw it again
Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Bass1

mistake), launched it, up she climbed till it was a downwind speck in the sky...and never saw it again
... Was it red and white???
Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM
tryingagain

I have not seen any of the newer Goldberg kits so it is hard to comment. I do know I have built several Goldberg kits but years ago. (25 or more) The Skylane 62 was possibly my favorite build of all time and also a terrific flyer. It was solid and dependable and the new ARF does not do it justice. I am sorry to hear about the new Gentle Lady. It was also a fun build and also to fly. I even learned control line flying with the LiL Wizard a basically indestructable (though in fairness not the most nimble) control line trainer. Has anyone seen the Early RC Falcon 56 kit or any of their other Goldberg remakes? I am curious about their quality.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jship

The empire buy out was a good thing. The Kits will improve, customer service will improve. We win!

There is a few goldberg kits that I would like to try, after the shake out.

john
Yes, the buy out worked out very well for us builders!! Didn't it!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:21 PM
mjepps72

I think it just depends on how much YOU like to build and your skill level at doing so. To myself and many others who enjoy building just as much, if not more, than flying, the lack of quality in a particular kit is just another step.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Well, I do have a nosen kit sitting in the basement and I also have had a few goldbergs, the goldbergs are much better than the nosen but just a little better than the pica kits, GP is slowly trying to revamp the name brand into something as another offering. The wood quality going back 5 years ago, was ok, but back in the late 80 to early 90's, almost every part just fell out of the sheets with a small tap on the table. Right now Die cut stuff has to be cut out in the corners and if you lucky, it actually went all the way through. I have a sophicated lady to build sitting downstairs as well, the parts look fantastic, but I'm assuming that it was the last of the freshly setup die cut runs for this bird before being phased out. I'm seeing the trend to introduce new arfs that are different than something that is tried and true, they now offer the ultimate in an arf but it's much different than the kit version. Could this spell a phase out of the good old kit ultimate, and reinstate old designs as they are computerized and kitted as retro kits or more likely arfs? Who knows, all I know is I'd love to see the jungmann come back, I would actually prefer them to drop the ultimate and reissue tha jungmann instead. Nothing wrong with the ultimate, but the jungmann seems to have more class at the field and less seen out there, these days, everybody and thier brother make an ultimate. Just my 2 cents to the pot
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41 PM
dbarnes

Does anyone have a copy of C/G Lil Jumping bean plans available, or know where to get a copy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.