Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Warped wing

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Warped wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 11:12 PM
nav8tor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped wing

While checking the incedence of the top wing on the GP Ultimate I'm building, I found that the left wing tip has a positive incedence of 1.75° and the right tip is down .25°. I want to try and twist the wing to correct the error. What is the best way to do this? I've been told that steam can help.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:17 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Default Warped wing

I had a warped wing that was much worse. I went to a pal of mine and he wet the wing with a mixture of water and ammonia then secured it to a table and shimmed the warpes in the oppisite direction just a little past where you want it. Waited a few days and the wing was perfect. It has stayed that way for a couple of months now. I didnt believe it could be done. It was a completed d-tube structure. Hope this helps
Good luck
Brian
Old 03-15-2002, 11:26 PM
nav8tor

Default Wetting the wing

Thanks for the reply. How wet did he get the wing? Did he use a spray bottle?
Old 03-15-2002, 11:28 PM
bigbri

Default Warped wing

I am heading over to his house now I will get the details for you and update this thread later tonight or early tomorrow
Brian
Old 03-17-2002, 10:26 AM
bigbri

Default Warped wing

OK here it is.....take a spray bottle and fill it with water and about 1/4 cup ammonia. Spray the wing untill it is very damp. Then secure the wing to a table using clamps or weights.
Then using a shim start to straighting the warp. Now if the warp is......say a 1/4 inch you have to shim the wing back to neutral and then 1/4 inch in the oppasite direction! This should not be done in one step. Shim it in small increments and come back every couple of hours and shim it a little more untill it is where you want it.
Now you must wait a few days untill the wing is COMPLETELY dry. Do not accelerate the drying with heat or monokote gun. Once dry remove the wing from the board and it should spring back slightly and be straight or close to it. Repeat as necessary untill the wing is fixed.
Like I said I built a Fazer with a NASTY warp and this method worked for me. It was perfect the first try.
Good luck
Brian