Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Nightly team building...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Nightly team building...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Nightly team building...

I was just curious how many of you out there get together with friends maybe one night a week or something during the winter to build? A couple friends of mine have discussed it before.. Of course it would be nice to have a large shop with lots of room. Throw a good airplane dvd into the player, shoot the crap... and build, .. A few friends of mine get together to slot car race in the winter and it REALLY helps you through the long dark season !
Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nightly team building...

whats being built? what night? is it an online build too?
Old 09-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine and I get together when we have a project. We have built 3 pr 4 planes together including a recent scratch build. Sometime we will work on some of the more tedious things on our own like sanding, sheeting, etc. but we do the major building together. Its great bc you have 2 heads working on problems rather than 1.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 AM
MuSo

Actualy this is very funny, Add 12 beers and at the end your flying without Glow or Fuel :P
Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

We don't have a scheduled night or anything, but I've had building sessions with friends in the workshop many times.

It is good fun.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

A buddy of mine & I are just finishing up Fokker DVII's that we started last January. I go over to his house about 4 times a week to build. It has been great, the old saying "Two heads are better than one", well it's true. It has been very beneficial when it comes to solving problems & we laugh & have a jolly ole time. It's worked out so well that we have taken in another friend that's a builder. This time we are building Glenn Torrance Fokker DRI's, should be lots of fun. Go for it & have a great time.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM
jrbmoto

I once split up a build with a friend. We built a Goldberg Ultimate, he built the wings and I built the fuselage and tail. It was our favorite plane for several years!

-Johnny-
Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
foodstick

Yeah It would be nice to get something like this going..especially with a huge open shop area, A buddy and I used to build gliders at night back when I first entered the hobby...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
ghost-RCU

Both planes are now covered. Next is painting. Building them together has been great fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30605.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1034790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75422.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1034791  
Old 09-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Peter_J_Weller
My Feedback: (2)

We are getting together this winter and building Four*120's with small gas engines on them right now we have three set and looking for a fourth in Arvada Colorado The shop is heated and fridge is full.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
foodstick

Ghost, I like the looks of your D7's I just finished building one myself, I am sure you will like the way they fly..

Peter , sounds like you have a plan going ! I have never seen a 4* 120 fly with gas power yet.... but it has to be a perfect combination. A friend of mine just inherited one but I don't think its airworthy yet.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
ghost-RCU

Thanks Foodstick, It was a fun build. We put RCV 91cd motors in them with a flex pipe, they sound great.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Knight_74

We have been meeting on Tuesday and or Wednesdays for the past two years. Currently we are
finishing up some Goldberg Ultimates. Then it will be time to figure out what to do for this building season.
Here is a link to our first build:
http://www.theflyingknights.com/phpB...opic.php?t=169
It has been a lot of fun although I think there is more beer drinking and BSing going on than building at times.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
foodstick

It looks like besides having fun you ended up with something to show for it. Looks like some nice finished planes, I like your stallion head on the wing as well, its a sharp logo ....
Old 09-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

what are we going to build?!? i want in!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 PM
foodstick

I need to start a new kit like I need to finish the 4 projects I have going now ! And it still sounds tempting Lately I have been working the small electric end of the hobby, and the bigger gas plane side. I just never was worth a darn with glow motors, and I have gotten comfortable working on, and flying the bigger stuff.. I still get nervous with a crowd around ! Ah well maybe two or three weeks before my eyes go I will have nerves of steel and liquid nitrogen for blood !!! ha ha ha Honestly I really envy people that feel no stress in front of a crowd when flying ... I keep trying to build up to it, but flying in small groups of friends is just so much more relaxing...