Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

3 great plane Kits I finsised this weekend!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

3 great plane Kits I finsised this weekend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 PM
brenthampton79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 great plane Kits I finsised this weekend!!!

Well here are a pic of each of the planes I finally completed this weekend. All three are greatplanes and they are the Cap 232, Giles 202, and the super decathlon. I also have the GP Ultimate and extra 300s built as well from a few years back. I have always wanted to get these 40 size aerobats together at the same time and get a pic. My wife is going to do some photo's of them this week all together and hopefully one day we're going to get the full scales and the models out for a photo of all them together. Well enough bragging here are the pics and give me your thoughts on them, thanks
Brent
P.S. Pedro if you're still on here, then this is the giles that I asked so many questions about and have finally completed, I went with the 55 ax. Also no test flights on any yet they are brand spaken new not even put fuel in the tanks yet, this will be a stressful weekend
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85226.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1034157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26301.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1034158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw41305.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1034159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht86982.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1034160  
Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM
andrew66

Default RE: 3 great plane Kits I finsised this weekend!!!

nice planes! i especially like the decathaon. just to make it a little more stressfull, u should get a video of all three maidens.
again, very nice work.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:15 PM
brenthampton79

Thanks for the compliments, and I think the decathlon will probably be the most fun to fly in the long run, although I like my 40 size extra quite a bit and enjoy putting it through its paces, but I beleive the decathlon will be a little more laid back

I may see if sweet thing will charge her vid. cam up and try that, I usually try to loop and roll all my new planes on the first test flight, guess its a lucky omen for the plane in the future I suppose, I know most will yell at me for it

Also I must add that my wife helped a lot with the decathlon starburst and the giles zig zag orange stripes. If it wasn't for her I would probably have straight stripes on everything
Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like the Giles, One of the planes I have never owned?? Anyway, I love yellow and I too am A straight line guy!! Good looking builds and your wife did good!!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch out for the Decathalon. It can be an exhilerating wild and woolly fun plane. I was too much a novice when I first flew mine. But as I started turning up the throws, it turned into a whole different personallity. Tons of fun. Mine was built without the washout and has pretty touchy ground handling. In the beginning when I finally got it tamed, the throws were 3/16"u/d elev, rudder 1/4" l/r, and ailerons 1/4" u/d. I eventually worked up to the recommended throws. Really touchy on the stick with an aft cg, but would snap really fast (this is when I told it to). Has an evil snap at the top of a loop if you pull it too tight. It goes into a spin that takes a few rotations to come out of so dont take it too low when spinning. You'll love it. Need to get mine out of the garage, been sitting for too long.
Edwin
Old 09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Didn't McGyver once fly 2 planes at the same time on one radio? I think with new computerized 2.4 technology you OUGHT to be able to fly all three at once !!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:20 AM
brenthampton79

Thanks for the compliments, Gray I couldn't decide on the giles I just knew I wanted it to look kind of sporty I think the neon yellow helped that, also i should be able to see this thing, I'll get some better pics in a few days, on the cap the rips are carbon fiber ultrakote you probably can't see them that good, i took them with my cell phone,

Edwin, yeah I've heard that about the super decathlon so im really looking forward to flying it, I almost put larger ailerons on it like I did the cap, guess that was a good idea to stick with stock.

Food, I don't think im up for that yet but i plan to test them on the same day I hope this weekend, but I have a few things to do though my brother is moving into a new house and also they are having a pancake flyin over at a local airport so My wife and I are planning on taking the acro over there to check that out and then on to another to try to catch up with a guy with a su-26 and get some pointers on the full scale aerobatics and try to see if im ready to enter my first contest, that should be interesting , needless to say this weekend will be busy it looks like but i'm hoping to get the things running this week and broken in and ready during the day at work since we're slow right now.

Thanks all for the compliments
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 PM
GRANT ED

Very nice. Did you build all three at the same time?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
brenthampton79

yes I built all three pretty much at the same time, the decathlon started out first then I had to wait one some parts to come in so my impacience caused me to start my giles then I got to another stopping spot on it then I pulled the cap out like a a goof ball and started putting it together, next thing i know im covering both the giles and the cap at the same time while im trimming the decathlon out so yeah pretty much the same time, I know i got a little crazy and now i have another extra 300 40 size and 60 size gp im going to build next and im going to try to control myself and only build one at a time, (it won't happen though) I want another 40 size because my current one is the worst out of the 4 I have built in the past and rolls funny and had nothing but problems plus i didn't go with larger ailerons that I had on the last and that was a mistake
Brent
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
brenthampton79

More pics of the planes and also of the 5 ofem together thanks for looking.

Brent

Old 09-18-2008, 08:34 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79

Thanks for the compliments, and I think the decathlon will probably be the most fun to fly in the long run, although I like my 40 size extra quite a bit and enjoy putting it through its paces, but I beleive the decathlon will be a little more laid back

I may see if sweet thing will charge her vid. cam up and try that, I usually try to loop and roll all my new planes on the first test flight, guess its a lucky omen for the plane in the future I suppose, I know most will yell at me for it

Also I must add that my wife helped a lot with the decathlon starburst and the giles zig zag orange stripes. If it wasn't for her I would probably have straight stripes on everything
Of all the planes shown, the Decathlon will require the most skill to fly. I think you will like it, but it requires the most scale like handling, especially take off and landing. Enjoy!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 AM
HFrank

Man, that's a BEAUTIFUL airplane collection, congratulations.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 AM
prgonzalez

Well here are a pic of each of the planes I finally completed this weekend. All three are greatplanes and they are the Cap 232, Giles 202, and the super decathlon. I also have the GP Ultimate and extra 300s built as well from a few years back. I have always wanted to get these 40 size aerobats together at the same time and get a pic. My wife is going to do some photo's of them this week all together and hopefully one day we're going to get the full scales and the models out for a photo of all them together. Well enough bragging here are the pics and give me your thoughts on them, thanks
Brent
P.S. Pedro if you're still on here, then this is the giles that I asked so many questions about and have finally completed, I went with the 55 ax. Also no test flights on any yet they are brand spaken new not even put fuel in the tanks yet, this will be a stressful weekend
Hi Brent,

Yes, I am still around. I am so happy for you. I am seeing your nice Giles and company. Tell us more about the final setup on each model. You know, weight, engines, tank size, servos, rx, etc.

You have a NICE LOOKING HIGH PERFORMANCE fleet now.

I have been flying my Giles with a 0.90 2-stroke engine and all I can tell you, it is an awesome beast. Snap rolls are so fast and wild. I know you will enjoy yours. With the 55AX, she will be easier to handle than mine. I guess yours is close to 6 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53966.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1035472  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
brenthampton79

Jim, I think that the decathlon will be the most fun for late afternoon flying after the hot rods arounk, My brother and I bought a full scale 7kcab citabria this summer and its a blast to go out cruising around in with the window open, so I'm looking forward to flying the decathlon

Thanks Frank for the compliment

Pedro I will try to get the weights and set ups in the "my models" part on rcu today maybe.

The giles is pretty well stock with a 55ax and a futaba 8 channel reciever with bb futaba servo's, I have the gp fueling probe, and gp switch setup, I also opted for a fiberglass cowl, since i haven't had much luck with the plastic ones in the past, I also went with fiberglass wheel pants that I bought off of tower( Phoenix models decathlon replacement pants, for 13 to 14 bucks you can't beat that, i just prime them and spray with my color of choice)

The cap i did put larger ailerons on and also has the same radio set up as the giles I also wient with nylon screws for the landing gear on both the cap and giles, the cap has a 46ax for power with slimline pitts muff which is on all the planes, (ultimate, extra, giles, cap, and decathlon)

The decatlhlon has the same radio set as well, the only mod i really did to this was went with aluminum struts instead of the balsa ones, has a 46ax on it

I'll try to get wieghts after while

Again thanks

p.s. I pulled my extra 40 and 60 gp kits out last night and getting ready to build them
the 40 I'm going to mod this one a lot more than the previous stock one ( not real happy with the current extra its the 4th one i've built and its the worst flying one so far)
and the lhs sold the 60 extra for 85 bucks so I thought that was fair, he pretty much just sells arfs anymore, not to many kit builders around here.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM
prgonzalez

Brent,

With you building many planes at one time, you are the worth of two or more builders.

Take care of building on a flat surface and fit all parts better than before and your new extras will fly straight and true. Patience is needed [X(], oh well, maybe that is the most difficult for you

Have fun with your fleet and enjoy your next buildings and remember post your pictures and movies .

Pedro

Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
brenthampton79

pedro that was one of the problems with this one i think I have since built a new flat table, whats bad the first three where built on that same taible, oh well, and I was in a hurry the last time because i didn't have an aerobat to fly so im sure i got a little impatient, and I was younger with other things on my mind at the time if you know what i mean haha. I beleive these 3 will fly good i've paid as much attention as i know how to this time , The new one I'm going after it like i did when I was 14 on the first one, im drilling holes in the fuse in places to lighten it up in some areas and going to do some more mods to this one on top of that, going for dual ailerons, I will let everyone know when i start the new one with a new topic and try to keep up better this time, our spray season is about over so i'll have about 2 or 3 months of boredom again
Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM
brenthampton79

also pedro i looks like your giles is holding up well and still looks good too, that gives me hope for mine
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
brenthampton79

Well all three planes test flown today!!! Success all are still able to be flown tomorrow
The decathlon was exactly what I expected, and I didn't feel it was to hard to handle on the ground, however i did pretty much land in three point attitude, but I could see how one thats not used to the physics of a taildragger could fight it a little.
The giles I think needs more power 55ax isn't enough I beleive the 75 ax would have been what I was looking for, I think ill tune on the engine a little more to see if i can get more performance out of it though

The cap flew great just like my extra that I had with a 46 on it except it was just a little more tamed than the extra.

I will try to weigh them tomorrow, I forgot to get around to that.
Brent
Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 AM
brenthampton79

here are the video's
The gile landing gear came off , I installed nylon bolts on the bottom and forgot to tighten them down woops! no damage other than a little pride
http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_0105.flv
http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_0107.flv
http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_0103.flv
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 AM
MuSo

It looks like you will have a lot of fun in the future, flying this planes.

Good job man.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
prgonzalez

... The giles I think needs more power 55ax isn't enough I beleive the 75 ax would have been what I was looking for, I think ill tune on the engine a little more to see if i can get more performance out of it though ...

Brent
I totally agree with the assessment. I have a 0.90 2-stroke in mine and it is more than enough power. She has unlimited vertical at 3/4 stick while a bit thirsty with less than 9 mins flight time. I am going to change it to a TH 0.75 and test. I would be happy with 12 mins flight time while maintaining unlimited vertical for performing basic IMAC and sport pattern sequences.

Pedro
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
brenthampton79

yeah pedro i agree the 75 would be just right for this plane i think. I am posting the weights of all the gp kits i have on my models, the giles weighed in at 7lbs and 9oz. kind of heavy i think what did yours weigh?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
MuSo

What about your Ultimate?
How it flies?
How much it weight?

Raffa.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 PM
brenthampton79

muso the ultimate flies pretty good I think, i haven't flown it a lot I pretty much fly the extra, I am now starting to explore the ultimates capabilites, i haven't got it to snap roll yet, but i believe i don't have enough elevator throw on it though, the ultimate does fly good though stable and all, easy to take off and land in my opinion, not sure the 3 blade prop was the way to go though doesn't make much thrust with the apc 10x7, just installed the master airscrew and haven't flown it yet with that one, hopefully this weekend I wil get to. If you look under the my name it will have the weight of the ultimate in there its like 6 lbs and 14 oz. i think it has a 46 fx with a slimline muff, im not into 3-d really since i also like to do the full scale aerobatics as well in my brother's and my Acrosport II.

also muso thanks for the comopliments.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 AM
prgonzalez

yeah pedro i agree the 75 would be just right for this plane i think. I am posting the weights of all the gp kits i have on my models, the giles weighed in at 7lbs and 9oz. kind of heavy i think what did yours weigh?
Brent,

7lbs and 9oz with a 55AX? That weight is out of GP's expected weight range of 6 to 7lbs. Are you sure it is not 6lbs and 9oz with that 55AX?

I have read about people getting more than 7 lbs with this Giles using 0.90 to 1.0 4-strokers.

I was able to achieve 7.0 lbs (Ready To Fly) with a heavy 0.90 2-stroke engine, 6 servos, ABS cowl with FG reinforcement, no wheelpants, foam wheels, and a 2200mA NiMH battery. If I go with a 0.75 engine, I expect one ounce less or maybe break even, I don't know right now. I would have to weigh the TH engine and compare. My SK engine weight is about 25 Oz plus 3 Oz pitts muffler. I cut weight everywhere I could without being agressive about it. With 7.0 lbs I do not feel the plane being heavy. But, it is not a trainer like either. It flies smooth and landings are relatively slower than expected for the type of model.

By the way, all of my linkages are carbon fiber pushrods with titanium ends (Central Hobby) and ball links clevises. However, I have aluminum control horns instead of plastic and pull-pull rudder. I do not know how this setup compares to the standard 2-56 wires I assume you have in you Giles. I can still save a bit more than one oz by using one elevator servo and installing a Carbon Fiber D.E.P.S. instead of independant elevator servos as I have now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.