Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Easy way to set wing incidence ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Easy way to set wing incidence ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy way to set wing incidence ?

OK. I've built a bunch of kits & I decided it was time to try a "scratch build" It's about what I expected. Ya gotta do a lot of thinking & fitting,etc. Everything has been going pretty good. Oh, yea, it is a Mid West "60 size" Super Hots w/ Super Tiger 75. I have all 'wood work done". I'm now setting the horizontal stab & can't seem to get the incidence correct. Didn't really have to do it with the kits. I checked with Tower & the Robart's incidence meter is 20 bucks. Now I'm not a tight wad but there has to be an easy way without buying the stupid meter. Or am I stupid for not wanting to buy it ?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:37 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Easy way to set wing incidence ?

If you have a flat building board you can jig up the model so the horizontal reference line is parallel to your board and then just measure to the leading and trailing edges. If you also shim the board so it is level, you can use a carpenter's level to set your surfaces. Here is my Morane A1 set up with the level and a plumb bob if you look closely. the blocks under the wing spars set the wing incidence. The top longeron, which is on the bottom in the photo, is level with the bench top. Eventually the stab will go on level with the bench top.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23852.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1037797  
Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ask your club members if someone has a meter they will loan you. If not, buy one. It's well worth the money.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy one??? I have three. Couldn't build without them.

While it's possible to get by without one, using an incidence meter helps to insure a good flying model.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy the meter!! I used the cheap Tower laser meter for years, worked OK and did the job but then I broke down and bought the Robarts and they have helped make my life easier and my planes straighter. I just gave one of my students my old Tower meter. After you get A meter, just for grins you should incidence your ARFs and kit built planes. You have A surprise in your future!!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
outdoorhunting

OK,OK, I'm gonna spring for the meter.. Oh, Oh, I just checked TH & the Robart's meter is 30 bucks, before long that'll be the price of a gallon of fuel !! I guess a fellow needs to have the right equipment to do things right, huh . Like I said, I'm not a titewad, Man, I wonder if I waited ,maybe I could find one at a rummage sale. HA !~ HA!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

I'm suprised so many posts in favor of the meter. I tossed my mine years ago and use the distance method as described by R8893. It's more accurate assuming you have a flat level board, a good quality triangle. Calculate the inverse sine of the difference in height divided by the wings chord to get the incidence angle in degrees. No sticky meters, no $6 batteries, etc.

Height l.e. - Height t.e. = chord x sine (degrees of incidence)

Degrees of incidence = sine(-1) [(Hl.e. - Ht.e.) / chord]
Old 09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
MinnFlyer

If I was good at math I'd have a better job

Here's the formula for using the meter:

1) Put meter on wing.

2) Read number needle is pointing to
Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ODH, you were joking but I really did wait before I got my Robarts to come up in A rummage sale. Well, not quite but it was A big club auction. I spotted them in A milk crate and took A look, Oh My God!!! That crate was full of really good stuff. I ended up paying 25 bucks for the crate and got my meters I wanted plus so much other good stuff I can't even remember it all. I did sell the drill press vise that was in there for 25 bucks but kept and use everything else! My meters were brand new, maybe they once belonged to the crate cruncher at some point?? Minn forgot to mention taping A small level along the datum line before the meter so the plane is level, then you have to use your mark one eyeball!! Math hurts my head!!
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
MinnFlyer

Auctions RULE for great deals!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 AM
outdoorhunting

I like that formula !!!! Even I can figure that out.. Thanks guys. As soon as I click on the OK button down below here, I will be visiting The Big Store & get a meter ordered !!!!