Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub landing gear upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub landing gear upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Huntster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub landing gear upgrade

I have the Wire landing gear that came with my Balsa USA kit. This was my first scale plane so my cub isn't the best scale plane in the world.

Would it be worth the $100 for the upgraded landing gear set? By robart or others...... Any opinions... I use my cub to drop skydivers so true scale is NOT a requirement.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:08 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub landing gear upgrade

Sounds like the answer is no. Most Cub kits, including the BUSA and SIG kits, are out-of-scale in a number of ways so unless you were going all out, I can't see the rationale behind putting $100 into scale gear (which may still not be 100% scale). Just build it and fly it; the Cub is a great airplane.

When the gear wires on my Kyosho Cub ARF broke, it took me a single evening to solder together a brand new undercarriage which was stronger and (somewhat) more scale. And it worked beautifully for over a hundred flights (before I flew the Cub into the trees).

Recent Cub Convert
Old 10-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Huntster

I have been flying my cub off and on for about 6 years now.. It is about 15 lbs. and it broke on the main wire where it bends (no fixing this one) I'll need to replace it all together.

I had a very difficult time soldering it the way it spoke of in the manual. Several years ago I was working in the ShipYards and had brought my gear to the pipe shop and one of the guys there helped me braze it. It had been spot on up until I tried to land it (deadstick) in a field .... Not many options but with the gear being the only issue I'll take it!!!!

$100 is a bunch of money ot dump into one bird but do the fully functioning struts work real well on rough terrain or on hard landings.... MY bird is heavy.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:34 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the Robart gear on my Sig Cub and they work great, on a herd landing you can see the bungee suspension give under the strain. I have over 100 flights and so far they work great. I am attaching a couple of pics.
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81947.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1045832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85095.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1045833  
Old 10-04-2008, 02:09 PM
iron eagel

http://www.piperj3gear.com/
Well worth the money and will really reduce the abuse to your airframe.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
carl01
My Feedback: (4)

Im on the fence between the sig 1/4 scale cub or the balsa usa . I know this has been discussed before but im always interested in everyones opinions Thanks Carl
Old 10-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Huntster

I don't have any experience with the Sig kit..... However the BalsaUSA kit was of very good quality. I was happy with it... It was my first LARGE scale kit...... It's still flying after 7 years.... (and YES I did knock on wood!!! )
Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Back 8 or 9 yrs ago the BUSA Cub was more popular
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the BUSA Cub better because of the wing attach method. Hidden screws hold the wing halves on instead of visible bolts down through the top of the wing. The structure also lends itself better to modification (as when adding the greenhouse for an L-4 conversion)
Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm building the busa J3 right now along with the L4. Doing a two fer. I'm pausing on the L4 for the moment and continuing on with the J3 until it flys. Both are framed up and all the major components done. Its been a good build so far. Will definately do a scale gear for both.
Edwin