Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Painting balsa wood

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Painting balsa wood

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 04:56 PM
cometravi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Painting balsa wood

Hi Guys,
I have read a zillion posts about painting balsa and each one leaves me more confused than the other so i thought i'll write down what i understood and you guys can correct me if i am wrong.

I have this bare balsa fuselage:

1. Apply primer on the balsa wood (the ones used on cars. Hey I have one for wood surfaces called Primer Surfacer White. Will that be ok)

2. Allow it to dry

3. Sand

4. Apply second coat of primer

5. Allow it to dry

6. Sand

7. If smooth surface is achieved then paint. (I have synthetic enamel, is that good?)

8. Sand buff and then polish. (No idea how to do this and with what!!)

I am sure i have got it wrong so please tell me how to do it right!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:11 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is better to get a filler primer so you get the wood grain filled or use something like balsarite to fill the grain before you prime, or you won't get rid of the grain. It will not be easy to get rid of it all, but can be done. Another option is to use red devil spackle compound, (it is very very light), thinned with water and painted on and sanded to fill the grain before priming. Then prime and paint. Should work well. I use the spackel to fill fiberglass before priming. Use light sandpaper to sand it off and it gets smooth.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a lighter alternative, I cover balsa in dope and tissue....eliminates the grain problem without adding a lot of weight.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:57 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm missing something here, but not covering the wood with something (other than paint) isn't a very good idea. Unless it's a very small free flight or electric maybe.

Balsa is extremely weak. Covering, whether it's Monokote or fiberglass or... is the only agent you've got to strengthen that fuse.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:29 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Weak balsa? Bosh!

Look at this one. The wing and nacelles are film, fuselage and tail are paint. Approx 8 years old, still looks good.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	81929_18613.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	48020  
Old 05-28-2003, 02:46 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by DBCherry
Balsa is extremely weak. Covering, whether it's Monokote or fiberglass or... is the only agent you've got to strengthen that fuse.
I have had lots of planes that were only painted that were balsa. My Wood Dirty Birdy 60 was all balsa painted with no glass or monokote. They are stronger than you think.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

I use silk span to cover my balsa surfaces before painting like on this Spitfire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82277_18064.jpg
Views:	1754
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	48021  
Old 08-19-2003, 05:31 PM
cometravi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hy i have this bipe which was once painted ages ago by someone. I am recovering it. Some of the paint in the fuse has stripped off etc but the surface is like silky smooth. Can I just apply a coat of thinned epoxy over the fuse to seal it, then sand it smooth, apply a coat of primer and then use a automobile spray paint to paint the fuse and then use a lacquer to seal the paint?
Old 08-19-2003, 06:07 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Comet:
Originally posted by cometravi
...Can I just apply a coat of thinned epoxy over the fuse to seal it, then sand it smooth, apply a coat of primer and then use a automobile spray paint to paint the fuse and then use a lacquer to seal the paint?
Yes.

If you expect it to fly, though, that's another matter. You are heading toward a LOT of weight.

Do a good sanding job, put primer only on bare spots and sand 99% of it away. Where it's already painted primer is wasted, and the epoxy will be nothing but weight. Auto paints in themselves tend to be heavy, and most do require a sealer coat. Ordinary lacquer wont do though, it's not fuel proof.

Your best way, in my opinion, is just using fuel proof paints to start with. Quick, easy, the lightest way, and possibly cheaper than using the auto paint/sealer combination.

Bill.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Gollywock

Default Painting Bare Wood

Its been My experience that a nitrate sanding sealer will provide an excellent base on bare wood. As mentioned earlier, dope and tissue works very good to fill the grain. Thats how a lot of ukie guys get that outstanding finish. Jim
Old 03-18-2012, 12:07 AM
amilcar

Default RE: Painting balsa wood

dope and baby powder ...aplied ,sand ,second coat sand,primer ,paint
Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 AM
box car

Default RE: Painting balsa wood

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_info.php?products_id=130