Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

The BEST Covering Material

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

The BEST Covering Material

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
dansdeals3489

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The BEST Covering Material

I thought I would put up an interesting thread about the best covering material. I am in the process of building my first kit, a TF Cessna 182, and what to know everybodies opinions on what covering material to use. I want to cover mine white with some simple multi colored graphics. I also heard of mixing different brands of covering. For a first time coverer what do all you guys recomend and why? I want to yield the best look and the easiest process........
Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: The BEST Covering Material

I like Ultracote. You can massage wrinkles out of it you'd never get out of Monocote. Ultracote is also tougher than Monocote. That being said, I'm going to try Solartex on my current project, seems a lot of people like it over most others.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the best covering? No simple answer, depends on the size, type power (electric or internal combustion), type fuel used plus many other factors. For small models, you may even have to go to one of the ultra light stuff like silkspan or for the large one a fabric such as Ceconite, one of the Tex's or other fabrics or, for the in between sizes, one of the films such as Monocote, Ultracote, Oracover or ????. Be more specific in your requirements. Google will also give you lots of leads if you try "model coverings" or similar search words.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
MasterAlex

You mean [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHU91&P=0]this[/link] plane?

Me, personally, I'd recommend Ultracoat (also known as Oracover) because I believe it's a little easier and more forgiving to use. I would suggest reviewing MinnFllyer's great How-to [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726]video[/link] on the subject as well. I believe he uses both ultracoat and Monocoat in his project.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ultracote sticks with a lower temp and goes around corners a LOT easier than Monokote.

For that reason, it's pretty easy to put Ultracote stripes or graphics on top of a Monokote base. The Ultracote activates and sticks before you've come close to the heat required for shrinking or wrinkling the Monokote.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt try ultracoat yet..

the main reasons im using monokote:
i used monokote from the beginning mostly because i have that little piece left and i need to match it to the same material...
RCKen's tutorial was done with monokote i think and at minnflyers videos monokote was active and that is how i learned to cover.
monokote is the cheapest and you have many colors to choose from, also spray paint and trim solvent.
yes the wrinkles, well i learned how to avoid them, ignoring them is a good method too.

Alex
Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

Ultracote sticks with a lower temp and goes around corners a LOT easier than Monokote.

For that reason, it's pretty easy to put Ultracote stripes or graphics on top of a Monokote base. The Ultracote activates and sticks before you've come close to the heat required for shrinking or wrinkling the Monokote.
You can also put Monokote graphics on top of Ultracote or Monokote. To make graphics out of MK, cut it to your desired shape, spray the surface of the base (the plane) with windex and apply the MK. Slide it where you want it and squegee out the bubbles. The windex will activate the glue on the MK and it will adhere well without any heat application.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: Rodney

What is the best covering? No simple answer, depends on the size, type power (electric or internal combustion), type fuel used plus many other factors. For small models, you may even have to go to one of the ultra light stuff like silkspan or for the large one a fabric such as Ceconite, one of the Tex's or other fabrics or, for the in between sizes, one of the films such as Monocote, Ultracote, Oracover or ????. Be more specific in your requirements. Google will also give you lots of leads if you try "model coverings" or similar search words.
At the start of this thread I posted that I am build a Top Flite Cessna 182. It will have a 4 stroke magnum or O.S. (haven't decided yet) but it will be Nitro. I just want something that will yeild great results and not be a pain in my butt.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
dansdeals3489

So, basically, what everyone is saying is that Ultracote is better than Monocote?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not better, it's not worse. The people that have posted here prefer to use Ultacoat over Monokote. However, there are others that prefer Monokote over Ultracoat. Either one will do a good job on your plane. It's almost a "Chevy vs. Ford" arguement. Everybody has their favorites and like to trash the other one. I've used both and had outstanding results with both. If asked what I prefer I would tell you that I like the finish I get with Monokote better than the Ultracoat. However, I will admit that for somebody starting out, or without a lot of experience, the Ultracoat is usually easier to apply. On the other hand, Monokote has more colors available than the Ultracoat does. So it really boils down to whichever one you prefer to use. There are pluses and minuses for both brands.

Ken
Old 10-21-2008, 05:46 PM
SpeedBoy

After read the lines above I really wish use ultracote , the only thing that make me think twice is its cost [>:] .
Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my preference is fiberglass, silk, silkspan, koverall, anything but plastic coverings.

david
Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 PM
andrew66

i really like koverall. i used to use monokote and ultrakote, but find that the koverall (when used with sitx it) does the best job on models with complex curves. and once its shrunk down, it stays that way. it takes more time and effort, but will produce amazing results. only down side, is u have to paint it.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:25 PM
dhal22

but it looks so good when painted. you can take extra pride in your work.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
TFF

Monokote seems to have more tensile strength but not as flexible. The opaque colors are pretty solid. Ultra cote a little more flexible but the colors some times are not as opaque so you can see the wood grain sometimes. I like Koverall for fabric looks but the weave can be filled to make it look like a hard surface ; it also has no glue on it so you have to put it on the surface to be covered. Painted Coverite does not seem to shrink much so it has to be put on careful as big ones wont shrink out. You get a fabric look. Solartex has the color impregnated in the fabric. Fabric look unless filled and painted. Glass and resin has to be filled and painted. Probably the best look and not hard to do but has more steps. Dope and silk or silkspan similar as glass but you use dope like the resin in a way.
Flat surfaces are pretty easy; curves, flexibility is nice. If you have the flight control corrugations, there is no one better than the other.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: TFF

Monokote seems to have more tensile strength but not as flexible. The opaque colors are pretty solid. Ultra cote a little more flexible but the colors some times are not as opaque so you can see the wood grain sometimes. I like Koverall for fabric looks but the weave can be filled to make it look like a hard surface ; it also has no glue on it so you have to put it on the surface to be covered. Painted Coverite does not seem to shrink much so it has to be put on careful as big ones wont shrink out. You get a fabric look. Solartex has the color impregnated in the fabric. Fabric look unless filled and painted. Glass and resin has to be filled and painted. Probably the best look and not hard to do but has more steps. Dope and silk or silkspan similar as glass but you use dope like the resin in a way.
Flat surfaces are pretty easy; curves, flexibility is nice. If you have the flight control corrugations, there is no one better than the other.
For this Cessna project would dope and silk look good? I would like a good painted surface but have never worked with fiberglass. How hard is it to dope and silk, would it be good for a beginer?, could it be painted?, what steps are involved?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
TFF

That is a tough question. It is not hard as it use to be all there was available. Dope is paint ;it is also used to glue the silk down. The basics of it is you first dope every thing with clear dope a couple of times; with the silk wet you lay it out and brush and sometimes rub in with your fingers dope to bond it to the under coats. After a couple of more coats of dope and some light sanding use some dope based sanding sealer or laquer auto primer to fill the weave. Once smouth , paint with colored dope or some other fuel proof paint. Most people do not like the smell, but it can be a great finish. The cost of good silk can be a little expensive too. Glass is not much different except it is a little more sticky and you have to let it cure before moving to the next side. You might look into using poly and glass. You will still have to fill with auto primer and paint. I like finishing planes with paint so it is not too bad. I still use Monokote too.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 PM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: TFF

That is a tough question. It is not hard as it use to be all there was available. Dope is paint ;it is also used to glue the silk down. The basics of it is you first dope every thing with clear dope a couple of times; with the silk wet you lay it out and brush and sometimes rub in with your fingers dope to bond it to the under coats. After a couple of more coats of dope and some light sanding use some dope based sanding sealer or laquer auto primer to fill the weave. Once smouth , paint with colored dope or some other fuel proof paint. Most people do not like the smell, but it can be a great finish. The cost of good silk can be a little expensive too. Glass is not much different except it is a little more sticky and you have to let it cure before moving to the next side. You might look into using poly and glass. You will still have to fill with auto primer and paint. I like finishing planes with paint so it is not too bad. I still use Monokote too.
I am interested in doing this. To me it sounds easier than covering it with plastic covering. Does it lay out a nice smooth surface when you fill in the weave? Where is a good place to buy silk and dope?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 AM
dhal22

if your project is fully sheeted then use 3/4 oz fiberglass, if you have open areas use sig koverall. both can be applied with minwax water based polyurethane/polycrilic. the koverall needs sig stixit underneath and an iron to shrink it but it is a great product to work with. silk is expensive and dope has fumes. glass and poly is easy.

david
Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 AM
eroc144

ORIGINAL: dhal22
both can be applied with minwax water based polyurethane/polycrilic. the koverall needs sig stixit underneath.
I love koverall but normally apply it with dope. I've never read about applying koverall with WBPU - have you tried it? Can you do it w/o stix-it?

EG

Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 AM
HFrank

For it's strenght, durability, glossy finish and huge colour selection, MONOKOTE is my choice #1
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: HFrank

For it's strenght, durability, glossy finish and huge colour selection, MONOKOTE is my choice #1
Agreed. You can't get results like these without Monokote!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38079.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1056882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85040.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1056883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20235.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1056884  
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM
andrew66

ORIGINAL: eroc144

ORIGINAL: dhal22
both can be applied with minwax water based polyurethane/polycrilic. the koverall needs sig stixit underneath.
I love koverall but normally apply it with dope. I've never read about applying koverall with WBPU - have you tried it? Can you do it w/o stix-it?

EG

ive read somewhere (i think it was in the scratch building forums) that u apply the WBPU just like u would with dope. i would use some kind of sealer on the wood though, cause the WBPU will warp the wood. i would really like to try this on my next build, cause there are no harmful fumes. i guess a guy could always test a small piece to see how it works out.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
CrateCruncher

For my aerodynamics/engine test mules I use monokote because its light and patches so fast.
For WWI scale I use polyester dress liner because it is so cheap and looks just like linen.
For pattern planes I like 3/4 fiberglass and automotive paint, polished and waxed it looks so hot.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:32 PM
dansdeals3489

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

For my aerodynamics/engine test mules I use monokote because its light and patches so fast.
For WWI scale I use polyester dress liner because it is so cheap and looks just like linen.
For pattern planes I like 3/4 fiberglass and automotive paint, polished and waxed it looks so hot.
I am really thinking I am going to fiberglass my project. Can you post some pictures of yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.