Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Chipmunk & FA-80?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Chipmunk & FA-80?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Chipmunk & FA-80?

I'm looking for opinions about whether or not a Saito FA80 and the Goldberg Chipmunk would be a good combination. What is desired is a model that at least resembles a full-scale airplane and would have good flight characteristics.

Having looked at the manual online, it is clear that one would probably have to re-engineer the ailerons to get individual servos instead of the bellcrank system on the plans. But other than that, will the engine fit in the space provided, and how does the model handle if balanced and trimmed properly?

I notice that CG recommends a 4S 90 for this (or up to a 60 glow). But I don't require unlimited vertical and wouldn't know what to do if I had it!

Thanks for reading this post and considering my questions, Dzl
Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Goldberg Chipmunk & FA-80?

Hi,

The Saito wouldn't be totally enclosed as the chippy has quite a tight cowl. I have a 75ST in mine and the power is just right. A mate of mine has an RCV 90 in a Spitty and if I were doing it again I think I would go with this motor as I have been impressed with its' performance and with a flexible exhaust and the unique design of the motor it would be possible to have it totally enclosed in the Chippy's cowl.

On the other hand with the motor side mounted and the head hanging out in the breeze there arn't any problems with cooling or access to the glow plug.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be a fine combination. If you have not already purchased the engine, you might as well get the .91 (some will say to even go for the 1.00, but I would think the .91 would be enough). You should be able to mount it inverted to hide most of the engine. Take some pics and keep us informed on how it goes!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this combo and the FA-80 just wasn't up to it.

I switched to an OS 91 and it was great!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Dzlstunter

MinnFlyer: "...the FA-80 just wasn't up to it." How did it fly with the FA80? Dzl

Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The FA 80 was enough to fly it, but it was very underpowered.

The FA 80 was one of Saito's earlier engines. It was heavy and didn't have much in the way of power. It was one of my first 4-strokes and I was very disappointed with it. It turned me off to Saito for a very long time. Their newer FA 82 is a much more powerful engine than the 80 was.

I originally flew mine with a 13x7 prop. I decided on this prop because I used a 12x7 on my OS 70 and a 14x7 on my OS 91, so I figured a 13" prop would be right for an 80 (I didn't have the manual and this was before the internet)

I couldn't get the engine to run properly. I even tried a pump and that helped but not much. Later I found out that it ran very well with a 12x7. Well, big deal, I can use a 12x7 on a 70 which was lighter. All in all, I was very disappointed with the engine.

For the Chippy, get yourself a good 91 4-stroke and you'll love it!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Navy18

Agree with Minnflyer... I had the chipmunk with an OS 91 and it was a perfect combo. No detractors and flew like a champ... once again, like the Extra, the expiration date came too quickly.