Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Wonder

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Wonder

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SIG Wonder

I'm scheming on one of these presently and wanted to get some feedback. I'm going to make it as light as possible so a few things are going to be left out...

Such as wingtips, fancy cowl (the front of the plane will be rounded) and the canopy...IF the canopy doesn't assist in controlling the plane...I'm thinking it is simply decoration...well?
Old 05-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default SIG Wonder

I haven't built mine yet, but have read the manual now a few times. You can do anything you want, it doesn't matter. Leave off the canopy, I don't think it's a big deal. You do have to cover the wings though, I would at least do that.

BTW, I'm thinking Thunder Tiger 15 for mine, what are you using?

Tom
Old 05-27-2003, 03:55 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SIG Wonder

Go 4 it.

These little planes are a blast. I've got one with an OS 25 in it
Old 05-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Wonder

Gene,

I built mine pretty much standard. The cowl didn't add much and looks nice. As far as the wingtips go, if I did one again I'd leave them off and replace them with light ply tip plates. The profile canopy does nothing - I've seen many with it left off.

I used a Magnum .21 with mine. Keep it light and mind the balance point and its a great little speedster. Good luck with yours.

Best,
Kelly
Old 05-27-2003, 07:36 PM
ramcharger

Default SIG Wonder

I have been flying my Sig Wonder for 3 or 4 yrs. It weighs a tad over 34 oz. It has a OS 15FP, 270 maH, 2 high speed Futaba micro servos, and S148 on the throttle, a 2 oz fuel tank, and 2 servos are taped and then CA'd. It is light, and lightning quick. I bought a OS 25FX for it but decicded otherwise. Big engines are only useful if you are pulling a streamer. I also used the Russian tails. Its covered with MonoKote. Use different colors for the top and bottom of wing. If you are seroius about weight get rid of the throttle servo, I'm considering it. Weight reduction is everthing for a fun time with a Wonder.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Gene Chernosky

Default My plans...

OK, in order to keep it light, all of the construction possible will be with Super-Phatic adhesive...No CA other than on the CA hinges. No wing-tips, cowl or canopy will be on it. Engine will be a TT GP .15 with the baffle removed and the tailpipe bored...mounted as close to the firewall as possible (trimming the ends of the mounts off, too). On the bench it is turning 13.3K w/ an APC 8x5 using 10% nitro/20% lubed fuel and an OS #8 plug...that will be the prop I will use. I'm going to use a lightweight spinner nut instead of a plastic spinner. Servos will be two HiTec HS-85's (.7 oz ea.) for the control surfaces and an Expert 200 (.3 oz) for the throttle. Battery pack will be a AAA NiMH 720 mAh pack, receiver a JR R610, standard switch. Fuel tank will be a round Sullivan 2 oz. Russian rudders and control surfaces are planned, and the ailerons/elevator will be tapered. I'm hoping it will weigh in the mid 20's ounce-wise, less fuel.

Also, what kind of throws are y'all using on the elevators and ailerons? I have a JR XP-8103 and will probably dial in some exponential to keep the center of the stick less sensitive.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Tom Nied

Default SIG Wonder

Knock your socks off, build the lightest Wonder ever built. I don't plan for any competition with mine, I'm just going to build a nice Wonder with canopy and some kind of wing tip and a simple front cowl. What is more important to me is a well balanced, straight wing aircraft. Don't forget these little speed demons land on their bellies and have to be able to take some beating. Some strength can lend to a longer lifespan. But build it anyway you want, go for it.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:19 PM
ramcharger

Default SIG Wonder

I just flew my Wonder this morning and it is sitting close to the computer so I can give you my wthrows. The elevator throw is between 3/8 and 5/16 inch measured where the elevator is 1-1/4 inch wide. The ailerons move 5/16 inch measured where the aileron is 1-1/4 inch wide. Not sure how this compares to instructions. I kept the bulky wing tips on however I believe I hollowed them out some, not sure, I know I have a steel screw in one for balance. Mid twenties will be tough. My fuel tank is not round, it is squarish with a slanted front. The fuel tank installation is a challenge.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Gene Chernosky

Default Necessary components are at 15 ozs.

I put together the engine/muffler/prop, the tank, all of the radio gear, then all of the misc. hardware that has to be used (motor mount, pushrods, clevises, torque rods, bolts, etc.) and weighed all of it on an Ohaus spring scale good up to 4 1/2 lbs. ...everything weighed in at ~15 ozs. It will be tough to get the airframe at ~10 ozs and keep it strong/durable where it needs to be...but I'm going to do my best!

It might be a while before I get to put it together, but I will post the weight and a few pics when the time comes.

BTW, for throws...the instructions call for 1/4" on the elevator and 5/16" on the ailerons...each way.

Thanks for the interest in this post...your replies are somewhat appreciated!
Old 05-29-2003, 04:20 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Default SIG Wonder

Gene,

I'm not sure why you want to make it super-light, but it flies like a champ when built stock.

I have seen a couple without the half-cowl, and with flat wing tips. Can you say UGLY?

Mine has a mere OS 15 FP and weighs 35 ounces wet, yet it goes like stink and is definitely not for a rookie. If you make a true rocket out of it, I hope you've been practising your Ta'chi...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82334_351.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	48209  
Old 05-29-2003, 05:38 PM
at6fan
My Feedback: (13)

Default Wonder!!!

Hi guys,

I'm on year number three for my wonder. I fly it all the time. I built it stock as per the kit. Undercambered wingtips and tapered ailerons. I use an old OS 15FP with a 7-4 master airscrew prop. It's the most fun you can have on 4 ounces of gas. Yes I crammed a 4 ounce tank up front and it flies wide open for 25 minutes. Cheap fun, I highly recommend this plane to anyone. Be extra careful with the CG especially if hand launching it by yourself. All it needs is a little push into the wind (very important into the wind!) at a 45 degree angle and you're off. Enjoy

Lynn
Old 05-30-2003, 12:38 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default SIG Wonder

i've flown and built several. my favorite was with the fox 19 as pictured on the box. that thing would turn 18k on an 8-4, as advertised, and was a great combo! they aren't around any more, but we have also used os 15's and 25's, asp 12's and the norvel 15 pulls them well, and very light! your magnum will be fine. I would go w/ an 8-4 on a stock magnum, but with your mods you know what works best on your particular engine! don't sweat the weight too much. it is fun to see how light you can get 'em, but they fly just fine stock. have fun!
Old 05-30-2003, 08:59 PM
David Cutler

Default Re: Wonder!!!

Originally posted by at6fan
It's the most fun you can have on 4 ounces of gas.
. . depends on which gas, I s'pose.

-DC
Old 06-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Tom Nied

Default RE: SIG Wonder

Four years later and I'm ready to start the build. I've reread this forum, and have some thoughts. Light is good. Enough power will be fine. I'm usings TT .15GP. It sounds like it's a blast to fly. Build it, fly it, and have fun. Anyone want to add thoughts about your "Wonder" feel free to post, and pictures are a good also. I think there's many ways to build one of these, it seems to have a fairly wide envelope in it's design. Just look at the different models Bruce Tharpe shows in the manual. I think it's a winner and think this is going to be fun.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:50 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Here is a picture of a Wonder that I built. I should have never sold it, and have another in the box and plan to build it when I get a chance. It was quite fast with the MDS 18 and tuned pipe. It flew with an 8x4 prop. I am not sure what to use for a motor on this one. I am considering an electric brushless setup and the Magnum 30 four stroke. I noticed Magnum is also coming out with a redesigned 15 and may go with that. I have flown another wonder with the norvel 15 and that motor was a nice runner. I may also put a piece of music wire on the bottom skid to help with landing on the ice in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65241.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	484852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12636.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	484853  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Tom Nied

That's cool mnrcaerobat, thanks for sharing that with me. It seems there is many ways to build, modify, power a Wonder. I'm going to power mine with a TT GP.15, should be plenty for me. Some like to really overpower and just see how much motor they can put on. What ever turns you on, and whatever you have on hand. Took me an hour to do the primary wing construction up to the sheeting of the leading edge and trailing edge. Going together just fine and I'm enjoying the build, more that I thought I would. Really getting into this little plane. Should be a blast. Thanks Brian.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:50 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Bumping up an old thread I know, since Sig has re-released these I decided to go ahead and order one to scratch the itch for another build .

I wanted one of these 10yrs ago but just never got around to one. Tracking number says it will be here tomorrow
Old 12-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Tom Nied

Darn it, here's another project I didn't finish. It's built right up to final completion. Forlornly sitting on a shelf. I know one thing that bothered me when I last worked on it were the wing tips. I decided to just glue blocks on and carve to form a fairly regular wingtip, instead of the awesomely cool Hoerner style. My thought was that they would be prone to breakage. So now I've got these solid balsa wingtips that I wish I had hollowed out. Maybe I shouldn't worry about them and just plunge forward. I should at least bring all the pieces together.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Don't worry about it Tom. I've got solid blocks on mine and it's an absolute riot to fly.

Dave
Old 12-27-2015, 04:47 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbacque
Don't worry about it Tom. I've got solid blocks on mine and it's an absolute riot to fly.

Dave
Everyone says they are a blast to fly, excited to build one

Cant decide between a O.S .25FX on a tuned pipe, or the E-Flite power 25 1250kv on 4s