Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Learjet .40 Build

Old 11-07-2008, 08:04 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Learjet .40 Build

Hello,

I will document my Great Planes Learjet .40 build here. I expect this build to take all winter. I plan to do something to progress the build everyday even if its only for 5 minutes. I'll update with photos over the length of the build.

I've been in the hobby for over 10 years but this will be the most difficult build I have done so far. I have previously built a 4-star 60 kit, SureShark kit, Morris Yellow Jacket kit and many, many ARFs.

I bought this Learjet from a friend who has way too many kits to build for a family man. I couldnt stand to know that such a beautiful airplane would sit unused for who knows how long so I had to have it. I have always loved the look of the old -20 series Lears with tip tanks.

The Learjet will be fixed gear with a TT .46 engine and a goal to build as light an airplane as possible since I have heard these usually come out on the heavy side. The covering scheme will most likely be in the scheme of the full scale business jets I fly for work.

Chris

"nothing screams poor craftmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81342.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1067459  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:12 PM
brenthampton79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Learjet .40 Build

I just picked one of these up on ebay about two or three weeks ago and hope to get started on mine as soon as i can after finishing the last of the year projects up. I am considering putting two electric ducted fans with retracts on mine.

Im on board im ready to see how this goes together and what it ends up weighing

Brent
Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great! Can't wait to see it!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 AM
salat
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can anybody make scans from plans please?

Thank you,
Kostya
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm about five hours into the build and the vertical stab is built. I am starting the wing and horizontal stab tomorrow. I am working on the wing in the garage and the tail in the house. When I get frustrated with one part, or am putting off a part of the build I dislike I can go work on the other for a while.

Name:	Tr50077.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1069824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26764.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1069825  
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Began framing the right wing panel today. Took about 4 hours to get the plans laid out and get this much of the wing framed. Im going out of town for the next 3 days so I wont get any more work started until this weekend. That will give me time to get some new epoxy. This kit shows what a jump in technology laser cut kits were. This is my first die cut kit build and it sure is more work.

Name:	Hf99685.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1070545  
Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This weekend was too cold to work in the garage on the wing so I started framing the horizontal stab. I stopped short of sheeting it because sheeting is boring. I decided to frame up the fuselage instead. I framed that up this morning. Took about 4 hours to frame both the fuse and HS to this point. I've put in about 10 hours total work time thus far for an average of 1 hour per day.

-Chris

Name:	Ge94559.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1073809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27431.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1073810  
Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do you (or anyone) have any leads on the spinner that is made for the learjet? I need 2 of them.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:27 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The one that came with my kit is made by Great Planes. It is 2-1/4" (57mm) Part number GPMQ4542.

Good luck, I Googled it but could not find one for sale. Try ebay maybe.

-Chris
Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 PM
hawkpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Chris, I keep hoping that I will get lucky and find a few in a shop somewhere.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Props4ever

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vupilot:

Looking good so far, i had a pleasure of making one of these Learjets when they first came out about 13 years ago!, form what i remember it was pretty good and straight forward build. I ended up scaling it more then i should have as model become heavier then should have but then back then it was one of my first kits put together and i liked it so much that i used to go to airport to take pictures of real Learjet 35A and come home to replicate on my model!. It was fun doing it. Once i finished my model i took it to Beauty contests held at our annual hobby show here in Toronto, i did good once and came out with bunch of prizes with it. That particular learjet hasn't flown as yet, i was chickened out back then, though it suffered some hanger rash over all these years but i still have it on me. Then i recently got another Learjet from a friend and wanted to fly it but things happened with it also and before i could fly her it crashed in someone else hands!, so waiting for rebuild through this winter season.

Keep it up, you will enjoy it very much, they are nice planes to have and to fly also but tend to stick longer on ground before rotating for take offs...
Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Props4ever,

Do you have any pictures of yours you could post?
I too am a little concerned with how it will fly. I have a long paved runway to use so that should help. I'd love to see some pictures if you have any, I've only seen two others on the internet and one in person hanging from a hobby shop ceiling near Dulles Airport in VA.

I've been working on mine this afternoon, Ill post pictures tonight
Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
hawkpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am getting ready to build mine. I am going to do one glow am looking into making the other one edf. I am also looking into adding flaps and dual aileron servos (micro). I have read several posts that the landing speed is high, I checked on g4 and the ls is around 35mph (sim of course, but I have found them to be pretty accurate for some things). I am thinking that flaps would help it land a little slower for shorter strips. Anyone else thought of this, or has done it?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:00 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well today I made my big screw up....

I built the lower main spar of the left wing upside down and did not catch it until I had 3 ribs and the trailing edge glued in.

To fix my screw up I had to carefully remove the 3 ribs from the spar flip the spar over and remove the spar joiner and re-glue the joiner to the top of the spar instead of the bottom. Lost an hour fixing that but at least I caught it before I had more ribs glued in.

Hawk pilot
- I'm sure flaps would help you slow down a little (and look cool) but I think with the extra weight for the servos, pushrods and control horns would make it a wash. The chord (width) of the ailerons would mean your flaps would be quite narrow in width and perhaps not as effective unless you modify the wing structure quite a bit for wider flaps.

Im my case I have a long runway with plenty of grass runoff at both ends. I figure, its a Learjet, its going to land faster than many models if its designed to look scale in appearance. Full scale Learjet 35's arent the best short field performers either. Just my opinion but I do think the flaps would look great.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:38 PM
hawkpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I thought about modifying the wing for wider flaps. I am putting an os 55ax up front, so I am hoping the extra power will help, but your right, it sure would look cool with flaps, lights, scale struts.....well I can dream. I have some thought that it would be overkill on it, but cant afford one of the expensive df or turbine kits, maybe one day......[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 11-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Props4ever

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey,

I guess i can take digitals of 4x6s from that time and post them here or just take new ones...I have added flaps, spoilers, functional LG doors, finished it in silkspan and dope then painted it, also added scale type main LGs too..

Yes i am sure flaps will help this model significantly as it need s it for takoffs and landings specially when it's such a high wing loading airplane!..29oz/sq in is heavy for 55" wingspan model...
Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
hawkpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to see some pics of that also. Maybe my idea is not overkill.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here it is so far. 25 man hours into it. All the basic structure is there but barely. Lots of work to go but I feel a milestone has been passed. I'm going for a .46 TT pro but I think a .55 is the way to go if you are doing retracts and other scale features. It is a pretty good size airplane so I'm wondering if I will have enough power but I'm going to stick with the .46 and see how it flies.

Name:	Jg14356.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1075228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15095.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1075229  
Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Props4ever

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vupilot

Here it is so far. 25 man hours into it. All the basic structure is there but barely. Lots of work to go but I feel a milestone has been passed. I'm going for a .46 TT pro but I think a .55 is the way to go if you are doing retracts and other scale features. It is a pretty good size airplane so I'm wondering if I will have enough power but I'm going to stick with the .46 and see how it flies.

Go with any 50sz 2 stoke engine on this Learjet, one of the key reasons why my second one crashed was it has OS46SF on it!, not a good engine choice for this model or even 46FX in my opinion specially flying off the grass. I will take pictures of my first the original one tomorrow and post them in here..

Pat,

I wouldn't go more then flaps on it!, spoilers with weight of additional extra servos will make it heavy model, it is already heavy on wing loading!....I over killed my model just to make it into more scale type then it is...if you want to fly it then keep it light if you can..

Picture of my 2nd one a night before it crashed!...

Name:	Pn37775.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1075236  
Old 11-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Leadfoot-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vupilot

I too am a little concerned with how it will fly. I have a long paved runway to use so that should help.
With fixed gear, a paved runway and the TT 46, you should have no problem getting a stock built Learjet flying. The TT 46's I have had in the past put out power similar to an OS 46 FX which would flies the Learjet just fine, even from grass and with mechanical retracts installed. Even a good running 46 SF will do, just won't give you a high top speed.

In terms of flaps, not sure if they are really needed. The Learjet I flew did not have them installed, but could still be landed at a reasonable speed once you are comfortable with the plane. Even the GP Patriot and DC F-20 could be landed at a fairly slow speed once you got a handle on when it would stall.

Steve
Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
hawkpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That was a nice looking jet. I am going to cover mine in black and put my company logos on it like my company has its own jet, ok so maybe it is to advertise a little at the field too.......
Old 11-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Props4ever

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hawkpilot

That was a nice looking jet. I am going to cover mine in black and put my company logos on it like my company has its own jet, ok so maybe it is to advertise a little at the field too.......
Yeah it was and still is even though it's damaged but still looks good.
I already done same logo thing on my first Learjet when i had back then formed a model rebuilding company, venture wasn't successful enough so i had to wrap it up after 2 years of running it. It would do you good specially at events and fly-ins...go for it Pat.

Sorry guys wasn't feeling to good to go out in this coolllddd weather to take pics of my first LJ but i will try to do it soon for you guys to see it.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:16 PM
full rudder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys, I started buiding this kit about 8 years ago and just started again on it this week! Had to stop for moving and work and bla bla bla ... Anyway I already had the wings completed (not joined) and all tail surfaces done. I count myself lucky to have bought that spinner back then and left it in the box. Mine has the mechanical retracts and will be powered by an MDS .48. I might change my mind and put a os .61FX and tune pipe but I'm kind of worried about total weight at this point. I'll stick around this thread and try to post some pics if you don't mind the company
Old 11-27-2008, 10:47 PM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I welcome other GP Learjet builders/flyers to post pictures here. I really enjoy seeing others GP Learjets as I have not seen many.

I have not done much work at all lately. I am about ready to start sheeting everything but have lots of little tasks before its ready and thus wont bore you all with those pictures until I start sheeting

-Chris
Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 AM
vupilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just finished the sheer webbing on the wing spar between each rib. Boring work in which you dont see or feel any sense of progress when this step is completed. I put it off and with the holidays it took me more than a week to do the 4 hours of work. I have a good excuse though, it was warmish (50F) the last few days so I went to the field and flew my other planes and put up christmas lights at home.

Next, I will be sheeting the wing and I'll post pictures of that as I progress

-Chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service