Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:17 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
[ATTACH]2138371[/IMG][ATTACH]2138370[/IMG][ATTACH]2138369[/IMG][ATTACH]2138368[/IMG]istill have some nib kits for sale as well as 25 nib engines. at 87 i will not get around to using them. PRICES LESS THAN DISCOUNT HOUSES
my wife just passed away & we have been busy with that. i went to a resturant and tripped & fell down 3 steps landed on concrete ouch! nothing cracked as far as we can see on cat scans but after 2 weeks i can stand but cant walk yet.
if you want to buy some of my stuff be patient with me and i will get withyou. please send me your e mail address as this is the easy way for me to correspondthanks for your interst FRANKIE [email protected]
HAPPY NEW YEAR FLYING & BUILDING TO ALL YOU GUY'S.
Trainer master, I am sorry for your loss, but i must wish best of luck to you and a speedy recovery. I would like to ask, do you have any royal kits?
Old 12-29-2015, 11:00 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Ollie, you shouldn't tempt the weak, subscribed and now I want one!

Sorry . . . well, sort of.

I'm very happy with the build, thus far; and the airfoil is well proven, so I am expecting very good things from the finished product. We started building the fuse, now too, so will have some more to post in the next couple of days.

Neglected to post Tim's email contact info in my original post. My apologies -- this is it: [email protected]

I am looking forward to you getting a kit, and hope you'll join the build with us. Please post feedback, questions, and of course PICS of your progress!

Ollie
Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

The Fun Fly is available from SLEC for £80 plus postage.

I built mine because I was impressed by the flying characteristics of another built by a friend. Mine is powered by an OS 40 FP. I plan to maiden it later today.

Wish me luck.

Picture of my mates Alan Ayres and Kit Davidson's Fun Flys (Flies?) After having flown Kit's model I decided to build my own. Alan's has an OS 35SF and Kit's a Thunder Tiger GP 42.

I was going to finish mine in yellow too until someone pointed out that three identical yellow models in the air at the same time might be quite dangerous!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SLEC Fun Flies! (1).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	531.7 KB
ID:	2156142  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 04-05-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:00 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

In case you all missed it, SIG has a new kit they are looking to produce if they see enough demand, a 14' Rascal kit. A real kit, CNC routed, not an ARF. I have one on order.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i fly any & all sorry no royal kits i may have some royal silk
Old 04-08-2016, 01:39 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
In case you all missed it, SIG has a new kit they are looking to produce if they see enough demand, a 14' Rascal kit. A real kit, CNC routed, not an ARF. I have one on order.
AHA! You're talking about the Rascal-168 they unveiled at the 2016 Toledo Weak Signals Expo!! FABULOUS kit, huge, light, a real work of art in bare-bones. SIGPlanes (SIGPlanes ) is already carrying them - slated for late-summer delivery.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:29 AM
acdii

Holy crap, first time I saw the actual specs. 8' long fuse! Gonna need a bigger truck! Something tells me I wont be able to slip 3' of it into the back window.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As I understand it, the tailfeathers are removable. Not sure whether this is just horizontal or vertical too though.

She's a monster, no doubt about it. I have the feeling she's also a kitten to fly - 50-60cc engine recommendation tells me she's got a super-light wing-loading.

Did you happen to watch the short video?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 AM
acdii

Yep, at the booth while talking with them about it. The tail is removable so it will slide between seats of a mini van, and supposedly through the center sliding window of a pickup, but mine has a topper and is only 5 1/2' long, so at least 2 1/2' or more of the plane will have to slide through that window, and I am not sure if it will be wide enough, also the center section is 6' long. I can fit my 4*120 wing which is shortened by a bay on each side in there, but its half the width of this planes wing.

By the time it is all said and done, I would be looking at investing about $3000 into it. $900 for the kit, another $900 or so for the Saito twin, at least several hundred for covering, going to take a lot of plastic to cover this plane, and then there are the servos, and batteries, maybe RX if I wind up using up what I already have. He is using heavy duty servos too, so expect to pay between $100 and $140 for each of them.

If I gut my CARF Extra 330L, I have plenty of radio gear, but a DA 100 on the nose would be WAY overkill. It does have a powerbox, dual LiOn packs, and 8 servos that could be used.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:54 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Pleased to report that the maiden of the SLEC Fun Fly was successful. It was a bit windy so I flew the ARTF Stick 1500 first as I don't really mind if I crash that one!I managed quite a long flight with a landing on the 10 metre wide runway, however, I clipped the prop on landing and filed a few millimetres off one of the blades. Then I faffed about watching others fly, thought about flying the Gemini instead, thought about not flying the Fun Fly but finally decided that I was a competent enough pilot so off I went.

The take off didn't go in the direction I'd planned but I soon got hold of it. It required a fair bit of up trim and a small amount of left aileron but after that I just flew it about on low rates most of the time. Loops, rolls, immelmans, (immelmen?) even a Cuban Eight, then I decided to quite while I was ahead. I brought her in somewhat hesitantly and on finals I heard Fabrice, the club's treasurer, who had just arrived, shout out, "Sur la piste!...Sur la piste!" which means, "On the runway!" I'm pleased to say that I put her down on the runway, without clipping the prop and taxied her back to me. It was not my best landing ever but it was a maiden flight and there was no damage; better than some of Fabrice's later landings with his Goldberg Piper Cub! Then I flew the Gemini and managed to land that on the piste, again, it was not a perfect landing but I'm still getting used to this model too.

I got Roger to take a couple of pictures of your humble servant posing with the model in my NCB suit which matches the colour of the model! I'm going for a haircut and beardtrim on Tuesday. I may even dispense with the winter whiskers, they make me look like a badger or a homeless person!

Perhaps I'll opt for an aviator's moustache.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:35 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Pleased to report that the maiden of the SLEC Fun Fly was successful. It was a bit windy so I flew the ARTF Stick 1500 first as I don't really mind if I crash that one!I managed quite a long flight with a landing on the 10 metre wide runway, however, I clipped the prop on landing and filed a few millimetres off one of the blades. Then I faffed about watching others fly, thought about flying the Gemini instead, thought about not flying the Fun Fly but finally decided that I was a competent enough pilot so off I went.

The take off didn't go in the direction I'd planned but I soon got hold of it. It required a fair bit of up trim and a small amount of left aileron but after that I just flew it about on low rates most of the time. Loops, rolls, immelmans, (immelmen?) even a Cuban Eight, then I decided to quite while I was ahead. I brought her in somewhat hesitantly and on finals I heard Fabrice, the club's treasurer, who had just arrived, shout out, "Sur la piste!...Sur la piste!" which means, "On the runway!" I'm pleased to say that I put her down on the runway, without clipping the prop and taxied her back to me. It was not my best landing ever but it was a maiden flight and there was no damage; better than some of Fabrice's later landings with his Goldberg Piper Cub! Then I flew the Gemini and managed to land that on the piste, again, it was not a perfect landing but I'm still getting used to this model too.

I got Roger to take a couple of pictures of your humble servant posing with the model in my NCB suit which matches the colour of the model! I'm going for a haircut and beardtrim on Tuesday. I may even dispense with the winter whiskers, they make me look like a badger or a homeless person!

Perhaps I'll opt for an aviator's moustache.

Congratulations! I don't care what the Frewnch say about you or your flying! ;-)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

At the flying field last Sunday, when I maidened the Fun Fly, Roger Aubard, the club's leading pilot, said that he had a model, a Nieuport 17, he'd like to give me. I had seen the fuselage in his workshop in the past and I wasn't sure what scale it was. I went round to pick it up yesterday.

It turns out that it isn't a Nieuport after all. It's a 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel!!!

It will take me years to build it and as I have other projects to complete first, it will be some time before I can get started on it, however, I'm flattered that Roger thinks that my building skills are good enough for such an advanced model.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

At the flying field last Sunday, when I maidened the Fun Fly, Roger Aubard, the club's leading pilot, said that he had a model, a Nieuport 17, he'd like to give me. I had seen the fuselage in his workshop in the past and I wasn't sure what scale it was. I went round to pick it up yesterday.

It turns out that it isn't a Nieuport after all. It's a 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel!!!

It will take me years to build it and as I have other projects to complete first, it will be some time before I can get started on it, however, I'm flattered that Roger thinks that my building skills are good enough for such an advanced model.

No pictures, didn't happen! ;-)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Oh ye of little faith.

Picture of Sopwith fuselage in my (dark) attic, taken five minutes ago. The two cardboard boxes contain the rest of the kit; it was quite difficult to lift the larger box up the stairs.

Metre rule lends proportion, Gemini assures authenticity!

Old 04-13-2016, 10:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks! Looks like it has nice bones building to date is clean!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Capt. Bill

I don't have the tools or ability to be a scratch builder nor the patience to cut out ribs and formers. I do enjoy building kits though. My first kit was a Midwest Tri-Squire back in 1971 and I still remember the thrill I had at seeing something that I had built flying. Even today I still get a lot of satisfaction from flying something that started as several pieces of wood in a box and I built.

Probably a lot of people go the ARFs since they are there and they are afraid they don't have the skill to build one and make it look as nice as the factory built ARFs or the guy in the club that brings out the show pieces. Your first kit may not be perfect but your second will be better and your skills will build. A simple color scheme with a few wrinkles in the covering will fly just as well.

As to where to get them, several years back I got on Ebay and found many of the older kits up for sale. Most at a reasonable price or even cheaper than when they came out figuring inflation. It seems there are as not as many now but take a look. In the last several years I picked up the following

Midwest Twin-Stik and Sweet 'n Low Stik
Andrews Trainermaster
Southern R/C Bobcat (40 size Tiger Tail)
Original Goldberg Gentle Lady
Bridi Warlord 40,Warlord 25 and Killer Chaos
Pilot QB40S
Ace All Star Bipe
Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 kit not the current ARF

I have seen just about every kit made in the 1970s and 1980s on Ebay at one time or another.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Scratch building isn't that hard all you really need is a few hand tools. Granted power tools speed up the process but carpenters built for many centuries before the first power tools ever came along. I will admit cutting out wing ribs with a ruler, Xacto knife, and a sanding block does take time. I cut two sets out of 3/16" balsa of 17 individually sized wing ribs for a tapered wing that way. You would be surprised how fast it goes once you get into the groove. I had wing ribs from 4.75" to 17.75" and I got it done working off and on in my free time in one week. Liteply isn't bad either but for aircraft plywood you do need a good sharp coping saw.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'm building a little Veron Cardinal which was my first successful model aircraft when I was 12 years old in 1960, but this model will have a two-channel radio installed to save me from chasing it!

http://www.vintagemodelworks.co.uk/?page_id=63

Name:	Cardinal In The Bones.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	2167450  
Old 06-12-2016, 04:03 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm building a little Veron Cardinal which was my first successful model aircraft when I was 12 years old in 1960, but this model will have a two-channel radio installed to save me from chasing it!

http://www.vintagemodelworks.co.uk/?page_id=63

Hello
I have a similar model (fubar) I scratched up from plans, would like to put in the air but need a small reciever on 27 meg do you have any suggestions?

This bird is notorius for leaving the universe after launch.

Name:	fubar with spitzy.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	773.6 KB
ID:	2167458  
Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I have a similar model (fubar) I scratched up from plans, would like to put in the air but need a small on 27 meg do you have any suggestions?..
If you have a receiver, and if it is size that matters, try removing the case leaving the electronics naked, except for maybe a protective cover. Should reduce both size and weight, if that suits you better. Otherwise maybe buy a new cheap 2.4GHz radio if a 2 channel is available, Good luck.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
If you have a receiver, and if it is size that matters, try removing the case leaving the electronics naked, except for maybe a protective cover. Should reduce both size and weight, if that suits you better. Otherwise maybe buy a new cheap 2.4GHz radio if a 2 channel is available, Good luck.
Thanks, you have fired this old brain of mine, I will do as you say I now remember I have a 2.4 radio from a swapmeet that should do just fine ........ Being able to ask for help online is really fantastic ..................Again, Thanks
Old 06-13-2016, 10:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Here is the fuselage to my 1970s Vk Models Fokker DR.1 kit in progress. Power will be a Thunder tiger .46 Pro.It's a fun kit to build.

Name:	P1100772.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	2167699   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100771.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	2167700   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100770.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	2167701   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100769.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2167702   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100755.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2167703  
Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 PM
peter_pan2k

Hi
I'm new new to the blog but not building. Just finished a Sig Spacewalker. I'm a bit of a nut and always have to tinker. I add lights and smoke to the Gemini 300 FT. Don't care much to build to scale detail. Love function over form and like to choose my own color just to be unique. This was a long build. took me all winter but here in Alaska we got plenty of that. I snipped it off of eBay for $100.00 less than new at Sig. Just snipped a 100" Seamaster 120 for $175.00. That where I get my kits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fY0joYEcLU
Old 07-05-2016, 08:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

That is some serious smoke you got there!

Speaking of projects I took a shot at laminating 3/64" X 3/16" Bass for my tail feathers. It was a lot easier than I suspected once I cut the forms to wrap it around.. Here are the pictures.

[ATTACH]2171271[/IMG][ATTACH]2171272[/IMG]

Name:	P1100783.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	2171271   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100781.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	2171272  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
That is some serious smoke you got there!

Speaking of projects I took a shot at laminating 3/64" X 3/16" Bass for my tail feathers. It was a lot easier than I suspected once I cut the forms to wrap it around.. Here are the pictures.

Nice work, looks lightweight and strong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.