Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:41 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Here is a good link for those of us who like to fly low and dust the crops.

http://www.teamduster.com/home.html

Hollis is a very easy going southern gentleman and great to speak with. I have the 72 inch version and always draws comments when flying it.

JimO
Old 12-11-2008, 03:23 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Balsawings

Guys, I do find you conversation interesting, but when I see there has been traffic in this topic I hope to find new information about a kit manufacturer I didn't know about. This discussion really needs to be under a separate topic. A person now has to wade through your posts if a new post comes up about an actual kit manufacturer. How about leaving this one for only posts about kit manufacturers or suppliers?

Bob Cox
SPA 374
Miami, FL
Sorry guys!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:55 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher
Here's a neat kit manufacturer in Germany no one has mentioned.
[link=http://www.fmbb.de/Englischhome/Englischhome.htm]Barth Flying Models[/link]
Reading through the German text, it appears that this company is just a reseller for kits from other manufacturers, for example, Proctor and Mick Reeves.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:55 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

[link=http://www.fmbb.de/Englischhome/Englischhome.htm]Barth Flying Models[/link]
Reading through the German text, it appears that this company is just a reseller for kits from other manufacturers, for example, Proctor and Mick Reeves.
Then you don't comprehend German very well. While they share marketing arrangements with other kit manufacturers, the Spad, Junkers, Waco, etc are all designed/manufactured in-house. I believe they recently developed a giant scale GeeBee also.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
abufletcher

Oops, sorry. Guess I didn't get to those pages! [sm=red_smile.gif] So is this the Junkers that Proctor markets? The 1/3 scale Spad XIII is impressive (with a 2700cm wing span).
Old 12-18-2008, 05:59 PM
CrateCruncher

Yes, Proctor lists several Barth kits on their site. They go in and out of production from time to time. I believe the Junkers and Spad kits aren't available right now but I'm pretty certain the Waco's (1/4 and 1/3) are always in production.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Darren40
My Feedback: (2)

I can think of a couple more manufacturers:

www.redstarrc.com

and, Unionville Hobby who don't have a website but are available from www.greathobbies.ca

There's also plans and parts available from Traplet Publications. Same for Bob Holman @www.bhplans.com

I noticed long ago that the selection of kits available was disappearing, especially if you're into scale warbirds. Most of my kits aren't available anymore, and I have a pretty healthy collection.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Darren40

Here's another. I've built one of their Chipmunks and then bought another kit of the same.

www.airsailmodels.co.nz/
Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 PM
zippytoall

Hi guys a newbie so don't flame me so bad. Here's a list of where I've seen kits at...

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

http://www.hobbyhangar.com/test/acc.htm

http://www.precisioncutkits.com/instock.html

http://www.kitcutters.com/index.htm

http://www.amr-rc.com/

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/index.html

http://www.scalercmodels.com/models_for_sale.html

I've purchased one from hobbyhangar waiting on its arrival
Old 12-27-2008, 08:32 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

ace has short kits, ziroli has plans and kits and is producing glass fuses too. there is always scatch building off plans, kitcutter companys can cut a kit from a set of plans. if we get real wild we could always design our own. i have several designs of my own, real wild things that some day i would love to put together, like a delta with a fire breathing engine up front with 6 d sized rocket engine to be fired in sequence, maybe a speed record?? a plane like the pond racer, beechcraft star ship, so on and so on!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello crate cruncher I am in manor and currently have a 97" bulldog on the bench (painting) I believe a kit is available as are the fiberglass parts. get in touch with me if you wish I am just down the road.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:24 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

This is Peter Barth's company. He manufactures his kits in Germany. They are sold via Proctor here in the U.S. Peter sells Proctors stuff in Germany. I have built Barth's 33% Waco and it is a truly great kit of this plane. Peter is a aero space engineer who is working on the Euro fighter project. He also is a avis RC modeler.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: michou41a

Witch kit you like to see in a near future? small scale? shoulder wings, low wings? for glow or gas engine? wich size,

all ideas are welcome

Michel
Bucker Jungmeister in a 30-40% range. Done up like your Waco...all the goddies in the kit and some options as well. This is a beautiful German trainer and there is just no quailty kits of this plane out there. I think the market is there for this model if it is done right and not priced for the elite.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Just one dumb ? Am I a kit manufacture if I get a set of plans and some balsa and ply and manufacture my own RC airplane.

[Hmmm I think I already know the answer]
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: michou41a

Witch kit you like to see in a near future? small scale? shoulder wings, low wings? for glow or gas engine? wich size,

all ideas are welcome

Michel
Bucker Jungmeister in a 30-40% range. Done up like your Waco...all the goddies in the kit and some options as well. This is a beautiful German trainer and there is just no quailty kits of this plane out there. I think the market is there for this model if it is done right and not priced for the elite.

DITTO on that!!

Another Bucker fan.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM
crazychristoph

http://www.wholesaleplanes.com

Its pretty much a towerhobbies equivalent, a good price comparing alternative.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 AM
HelloScott

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Some of us are hording them in the basement.....
I'm one of those! I've bought most of the kits that I used to want at the hobby shop on eBay. I've noticed too that they are appreciating well. Wish I'd bought kits instead of putting my money into a 401K! I'd have a much better return on my investment!

Scott
Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Woogaus

Not really a kit site, but he does have a lot of drawings and info there.

[link=http://rcvehicles.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=rcvehicles&cdn=hobbies&tm=23&gps=161_781_1020_621&f=20&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.willingtons.com/mymac/mmacphome.htm]RC Cook Book[/link]

And my 2 cents of the ATF/RTF issues, if it hadn't been for a RTF Superstar 40 that got me up and flying quickly, so I could experience the joy of flying, I probably wouldn't be in this hobby, I love to build know and have built a few kits, and that old RTF is on third engine and it's second wing that I built myself, not to mention how many times I rebuilt the nose when I was getting started, I was one of those guys that tried to learn to fly on my own.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Brent G
My Feedback: (5)

I have been designing and scratch building since I got back into the hobby 5 years ago. I started flying when I was 13, way back when using a craft radio. My first plane was a Falcon 56 mkII. Back then ARF's were few and far between and the quality was awfull. Kits were your primary option. Now the shoe is on the other foot. ARF's are everywhere and the quality for the most part is pretty good. What would be nice to see is an option form the ARF manufacturers to purchas a kit version of the plane. That request would probably fall on def ears though.

I too have been frustrated with kits that just wern't designed correctly. It just seems like the people that designed these planes never built one or flew them. By designing planes for my own use I put in a lot of features that just make SENSE.

I would really like to find a kit manufacture that would like to take my designs to market. I have been selling a few kits of my designs. I just can't afford to take them to market in the quantity that would make them more competative on price myself. I fly giant scale aerobatic planes, 3D and IMAC. If anyone knows of a company that is looking for designs let me know. I would love to see more of my planes in the air. If no one is interested thats, ok. I will just keep designing the stuff I like to fly.

I have enjoyed this forum and would like to see it continue. Building is a big part of this hobby that unfortunatly not many are taking advantage of.

Here are some pictures of my 50cc yak and my new 106" yak that is still on the building board!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34846.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1119352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22222.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1119353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40228.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1119354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38349.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1119355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98637.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1119356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60740.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1119357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69496.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1119358  
Old 01-29-2009, 03:05 AM
airman1977

www.chinmodel.com for RC scale airplane kits manufacturer from Thailand, kits available throught http://stores.shop.ebay.com/airman-R...-airplane-kits
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97592.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1122310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32123.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1122312  
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
greatlab

Brent G,I can understand your desire to build your own. And I can understand some of the others how they feel about not being able to find enough kits and at an affordable price. I to have just returned to our hobby after about ten years of recovering from cancer. I just finished reading all of the entries and someone said something about Kraft servos. I still have a working set in my original trainer. Doping a plane seems like yesterday to me and most of my twenty two planes are from plans from different designers. Anyone who hasn't made the time to build an airplane has missed 99% of the joy that comes from our hobby/sport. I feel the producers of todays ARF's and kits have seemed to have lost track of that same joy for the all mighty dollar. I for one do not see the need for an ARF in my hanger but will not talk down about those who wish to purchase one. I have purchased one just to have something new to return to this hobby with. It was such a bad experience for me that I will return to my drawing and building tables for my next one. I just wanted to take a minute to thank all of the people who took the time to post the different web sites where kits could still be found. I plan to visit each and everyone over the next few weeks for my next plane. What it will be, only time will tell. To any of the newbie to this great hobby of ours, take or make the time to build at least one plane in your lifetime. The joy you experience as the wheel leave the runway for the first time will be a greater high than you can ever hope to achieve with one of those new ARF's. Just knowing you had a hand in making that plane fly and to be able to see what it was like "back in the day" will give you a whole new respect of where your plane really came from. You might even learn how to make a few repairs or upgrades which will make your plane a greater joy to fly.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 PM
smkrcflyer

This place has some nice looking warbird kits.

http://www.flyrcmodels.com/
Old 03-22-2009, 11:19 AM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Hey all, I was just looking and didn't see many kits on ebay nor here and the prices for what's there seem to be lower. Is it the economy and or people just not selling right now? I've got a couple three that I might sell but not if I can't get what I paid for them.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 PM
chashint

There may be a few more links in this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6354257
Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 AM
poot43725

This is a good question considering the advancement in die cutting and cad design kits you would think manufacturers would make kits available. If I'm going to take the time to built an arf i'd just as soon build a kit. Its more satisfying when the plans arent all so clear you figure it out and set back and smile when it works. I hope manufacturers see this thread and gets their light bulbs turned on and as Cold Reboot said "make some axis power aircraft so we can dogfight against zeroes instead of two Corsairs going at it

Currently building T/F .60 Gold Edition Corsair

remember: If you didn't pull your hair out building it, it wasn't worth building

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.