Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Fuse Twist... TF P-51 1/7

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Fuse Twist... TF P-51 1/7

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
pmillerusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Twist... TF P-51 1/7

Just getting to mount the stab and fin and I see that I have a twist in the fuse.

The stab was well aligned with the wings when I glued it in, (that step looked 100%) and then I aligned the fin 90 degrees to the stab (I didn’t look to see how that affected the stab/wing alignment – I didn’t think it would) . I think when I clamped the fin post to the rear of the fuse, it induced some twist.

With the model sitting on the bench (verified as flat) and making sure the wing tips are at equal heights, the stab tips are off about ¼” (to the bench surface)

With the model well supported, I can put a 1lb weight on the high tip of the stab and it takes the twist out, but obviously it springs back. Would wetting the “short” side of the fuse allow it to swell and then dry in place?

Pictures later tonight...

thoughts?

Thanks,

Old 12-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuse Twist... TF P-51 1/7

I have yet had a need to try this but I have heard from more than one source that amonia can work wonders at loosening up the lignin in the wood and make it very flexible. I might try amonia in a spray bottle with a dampened wash cloth draped over the fuselage overnight. Straighten the fuselage and stabs while wet and let it dry (24 hours?). Just a thought.

Bill