Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SR Telemaster engine choice

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SR Telemaster engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Jim Haskins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR Telemaster engine choice

Hi All, I just received my Telemaster kit from HL, and have been reading previous threads for two days now trying to decide how to bash it. I have several notes based on info gathered here and am anxcious to start. I intend to mount a camera and bomb drop, inboard flaps, increased area tail feathers W/rear mounted servos. And a fiberglass cowl. My dilima is; WHAT SIZE ENGINE Ihave available in new condition an early SAITO 65, SUPERTIGRE G60, HB60 or eary FS120. I would like to use the Saito but tend to build a little heavy. I know the adds say they fly well on a 46 BUT? IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 PM
qldviking

Default RE: SR Telemaster engine choice

personally, from your selection I'd use the g60
Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with the Saito. The plane will fly about the same with all those engines
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The HB is going to be stone reliable...I believe the Telemaster is a German design might as well put a German engine in it.

I've had both the Kit and ARF versions and the kit flys better in my opinion. It's lighter. I loaded the ARF version up with alot of extras and I wish I hadn't. They're a blast when built very light. Any of the engines you have will work. Pick up a Edson mount from Mecoa and you can run any engine you want. (Quick Change)

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/mounts/edson/edson.htm

They're great airplanes.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Ram Jet

Wonderful engine mount but it looks a might heavy for anything under a .40.

Bill
Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Wonderful engine mount but it looks a might heavy for anything under a .40.

Bill
I've got two of them. They're undercut or hollow on the back side.

I agree they're probably overkill for small models but in something like a Senior Telemaster that could/would be used as a test bed for many of your favorites they work very well.
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Jim Haskins

Broken Wings I like the mount. Will order one just as soon as I can get them to accept Pay Pal.. How much will servos in the aft part of the fuse affect added weight in the nose?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Jim Haskins

Broken Wings I like the mount. Will order one just as soon as I can get them to accept Pay Pal.. How much will servos in the aft part of the fuse affect added weight in the nose?
I can't say as I've never done that... The kit Fuse is all stick built where as the ARF has some sheeting. The tail section can get "flexable" and you can get some twist if you load it up with extra weight. If I were you....[sm=shades_smile.gif] I'd just build the kit per the plans and learn to do all the Telemaster "tricks" like the (jump off the ground take off) the (fly backwards) and the (Damn, I wish it would land)... It's probably not going to be your last Telemaster.

Once you have the plans and a materials list it would be very easy to knock out an extra Fuselage with all of your mods. I'm addicted to Telemasters and have one in the box and one in the Hanger.

Look into covering with Silkspan and Polycrilic. For about $36 you can buy a large roll of the SGM (small gas models) it goes a long way. They look really cool in "Balsa Color" as the bones show through in the light. Covering Senior Telemasters can get $$$.

You can also check out http://www.airfieldmodels.com/ Caffein Man is his handle here on RCU. He's a Master Builder and I've learned so much from his web site. (sanding everything before you glue it together, the use of gussets, etc.)

Just take your time, enjoy the build and you'll come out with a killer model.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to be nit picky but the ARF fuse is not sheeted at all. It is flimsy enough that after a season of flying (with a tower .75 for power and no crashes) the tail would vibrate at full throttle to the point I was afraid to fly it.

Be it the kit or arf, I would recommend sheeting the fuse. I had some 1/16 balse laying around and after stripping, sheeting, and recovering the cg didn't change much. The structure is much more solid for minimal weight gain.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Broken Wings

Mine came fully sheeted on the bottom and the top and sides are sheeted and have cut outs.... Maybe I got a "Late" model.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Bigshark

You are correct sir! The bottom is solid balsa sheet. I was incorrect on my "not sheeted at all" comment. The structure is not stick built then sheeted, it is more of a soft balsa box with lightening holes cut into it on the top and sides.

Regardless, the structure needs beefing up in my opinion. How did yours fair over time? What engine were you using? My tail shook so bady that the elevator was a blur after one season of flying.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Bigshark

You are correct sir! The bottom is solid balsa sheet. I was incorrect on my "not sheeted at all" comment. The structure is not stick built then sheeted, it is more of a soft balsa box with lightening holes cut into it on the top and sides.

Regardless, the structure needs beefing up in my opinion. How did yours fair over time? What engine were you using? My tail shook so bady that the elevator was a blur after one season of flying.

So far so good, I agree that the ARF is prone to the "Shakes". I recovered it because the Yellow self paper went away. I did add some tri stock in the rear end to beef it up when it was naked. I also increased the rudder and added a flutes nose gear along with a bunch of other "junk" that I didn't need.

I like the kit better and I think it flys better. I've used several engines in mine. (Edson Mount) Old Red Head HB.61, Old OS 90 rear rocker, OS AX .75, K&B Sportster .65 and a OS Max H-80 rear carburetor.

In my opinion, I've found that over powering them does little for the model and there are better "Utillity" models for camera/bomb drop like the Flying King.

When my ARF goes away I'll stick to the kit built Telemasters.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an old OS .61 in my kit built, that was about perfect for me. I have seen them with so many different engines and they all worked very well. I loved that plane in the wind and never got over flying backwards, just too much fun!! Mine had A bolt on wing, bomb drop and inboard flaps. I was allowed the pleasure to fly another one this year and it took two days to wipe the smile off my face!
Old 12-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Bigshark

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Bigshark

So far so good, I agree that the ARF is prone to the "Shakes". I recovered it because the Yellow self paper went away. I did add some tri stock in the rear end to beef it up when it was naked. I also increased the rudder and added a flutes nose gear along with a bunch of other "junk" that I didn't need.

I like the kit better and I think it flys better. I've used several engines in mine. (Edson Mount) Old Red Head HB.61, Old OS 90 rear rocker, OS AX .75, K&B Sportster .65 and a OS Max H-80 rear carburetor.

In my opinion, I've found that over powering them does little for the model and there are better "Utillity" models for camera/bomb drop like the Flying King.

When my ARF goes away I'll stick to the kit built Telemasters.

I was going to do the kit to start with but the ARF was on sale and just about the same price as the kit at the time.

If I anger the plane gods and lose my ARF the kit will be what replaces it. The flying king looks just a little too much like a flying Greyhound bus to me. I'll make a tele'
Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
vmsguy

I've recently finished a Senior Telemaster from a short kit.. Almost a scratch build, actually. A previous post said the tail can get twisty...

'Mo definitely...!

I tried putting diagonal braces throughout the tail area, etc. It stiffened the tail up... but not enough for my satisfaction. Balsa is so light and flexible, even braced, there's enough flex in the material...

If I were to build another, I'd swap in some spruce for center side and top pieces. I've got some pictures I can post when I get home tonight....

As for a motor, I can't say.. I built my bird to fly electric.

Picture #1... cross bracing put in place. I later added diagonals across the tail, where control rods would allow.
Picture #2... Adding the final center strip. It would be this piece on top, bottom, and sides I'd consider replacing with something stiffer than balsa...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18357.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1090224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75709.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1090225  
Old 12-15-2008, 06:34 PM
spadeng

I have a Supertigre 61 on mine and it fits perfect in the engine rails. plenty of power with a 12x7 prop.