Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Ultra Sport or Juno Tsunami?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
GP Ultra Sport
47.54%
Juno RC Tsunami
52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

GP Ultra Sport or Juno Tsunami?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default GP Ultra Sport or Juno Tsunami?

I'm going to need to replace an Ultra Sport 40 that I lost to a mid-air this past weekend. I loved the way that Ultra Sport flew, so replacing it with another would not be a bad idea. It was the original style Ultra Sport kit, not the Ultra Sport Plus. This kit has been around for years - actually I think it got discontinued for a while but is in production again - and has been an awesome plane for anyone I've ever known who flew one.

That being said, I've always been drawn to the Juno Tsunami as well. The lack of popularity for the Tsunami is both a pro and a con unfortunately. I like the idea of having a plane most people have never heard of let alone seen, but it's hard to get reviews on it at the same time. The Tsunami looks like it could be a rocket, but I want to make sure it performs well at low speed as well. With a thinner wing (I think it's thin based on the pics I've seen) I worry that it might not want to slow down when the power comes off, which is not necessarily a feature I like.

What do you guys think? Any reviews on the Tsunami?

The plane will be powered by a Webra 50.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Ultra Sport or Juno Tsunami?

You got a link to the Tsunami????
Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
XTOL

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

You got a link to the Tsunami????

http://www.junorc.com/

Ive had my eye on a Tsunami for quite a while. Its on
my short list of planes to build. Juno had talked about
a Tsunami 60 so Ive kind of been waiting on that.

Of course there is only one correct answer to your question.
Build them BOTH!

They are both terrific planes. The Ultra Sport is legendary and
one of the best sport planes ever and the Tsunami has been round
the block a few times as well. It was originally a Direct Connection kit.

You wont go wrong which ever way you go.

Mike Hammer
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Ultra Sport for sure...Put a YS63 in the nose while yer at it!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Tsunami is a very similar design to the UltraSport.

Go with the UltraSport .60 and retracts. The kit is on sale at the moment for $99.99.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Auburn02

ORIGINAL: XTOL
Of course there is only one correct answer to your question.
Build them BOTH!
Hmm, I like your style. I do also have a tired old 4 Star I've been trying to kill... [8D]

I sent Derek at Juno an email this afternoon just to make sure the plane (and the company!) are still around. I remember seeing posts from 2006 about the Tsunami 60 that was "coming next year" so I figured it would be better to check on that before submitting an order.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Fxrs_tim

Juno is still in business, and from what I've heard, the Tsunami is a GREAT airplane. I've been holding out for the 60 sized one - hopefully Derek will get a kit together for it one of these days.

Here's a link to a current build thread on the Tsunami in the Classic Pattern forum: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7951975/tm.htm

Tim
Old 12-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Auburn02

I did hear back from Juno, who confirmed that the Tsunami is still available but not until January. I'm curious if those of you who voted for the Ultra Sport did so because you liked it more than the Tsunami, or do you just not know anything about the Tsunami? I guess I still like the idea of having a plane at the field that no one has seen. A 60 size isn't going to happen. I've got other larger planes but this is to replace my all around beater and my Webra 50 needs a new home.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Auburn02

ORIGINAL: Fxrs_tim

Here's a link to a current build thread on the Tsunami in the Classic Pattern forum: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7951975/tm.htm

Tim
Thanks for that link, seeing how the plane is constructed is a big help.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
HFrank

Hello Cobra99, the Tsunami is lighter and as you said, it has thinner airfoil than the US40, so it can fly real fast with a strong .46 in the nose, but it can also fly steady and smooth. Landings (even dead sticks) are at a very confortable speed, I could say they're really a piece of cake. Love mine. [8D]
Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 AM
XTOL

ORIGINAL: Cobra99

I did hear back from Juno, who confirmed that the Tsunami is still available but not until January.

A 60 size isn't going to happen.

Did Derek say this? Is the 60 Tsunami no longer going to happen?
If so thats a shame. I was really wanting one. Oh well the 40 is
still on my short list.

One other thing...the Juno kits are reissues of the original Direct Connection
kits. They are just the same. The old DC kits were great kits but require
a bit more effort than your typical Great Planes or Sig kit.

Ive not seen or flown a Tsunami but a fellow at our field has a DC F20
and he said the build was challenging. Lots of carving and sanding.

Ive seen the kit and plans and flown a DC 60 size Kaos.
I hope to build a Tsunami soon but it will probably have to wait
until next year. This winter Im building a Bridi UFO from the
RCM plans.

Mike Hammer
Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Auburn02

Sorry to make it sound that way. I was saying a 60 size plane is not going to happen for me, as in I'm only interested in a 40 size plane right now. I did not ask Derek about the Tsunami 60 nor did he mention anything about it.

I can appreciate a good kit build. The build thread on the Tsunami reminds me of a Bridi Vagabond I built a couple years back, what with making your own formers from balsa sticks and all. I think I'm up to the challenge. If I feel the same way a month from now when Juno is shipping kits again I think I'll go ahead and order it.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
qldviking

I'd go with the tsunami too, great plane to fly, and despite the slimmer airfoil its a real easy plane at low speeds too. Building is not too difficult at all either
Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 AM
XTOL

Sorry to make it sound that way. I was saying a 60 size plane is not going to happen for me, as in I'm only interested in a 40 size plane right now. I did not ask Derek about the Tsunami 60 nor did he mention anything about it.

I can appreciate a good kit build. The build thread on the Tsunami reminds me of a Bridi Vagabond I built a couple years back, what with making your own formers from balsa sticks and all. I think I'm up to the challenge. If I feel the same way a month from now when Juno is shipping kits again I think I'll go ahead and order it.

Ok...Thats good. Hopefully the 60 Tsunami will happen soon.

If you've built a Vagabond then a Tsunami should be no problem.

There is also the "watzthat" factor. Bringing something other than
another cookie cutter ARF to the field is always fun.

Mike Hammer
Old 12-16-2008, 11:48 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a Tsunami build thread in the Classic Pattern Forum if you want to see one in the flesh. Not sure if it was a DC kit or Juno.

Edit - here is the thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7951975/tm.htm

Mark
Old 12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Fxrs_tim

Derek sent me a msg and said that the Tsunami 60 is on the back burner for now. He another plane in the works, but I'll let him announce it.

Tim
Old 12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
dk823

What Tim said is correct. The Ultimate Kaos 60 will be the next release. The problem with the Tsunami 60 is, and has always been, the canopy. I have to make a mold for pulling the canopies. For the past two years, it's all I can do just to keep up with orders. I used to advertise a bit, but stoppped because I couldn't keep up with the orders. Eventually, the plan is to make all the kits nearly all laser cut to free up my time for other things. The UK60 will be relatively easy to get into production. There is a UK40 too, but I'm not sure if I'm going to bring it to market. Based on my experience since Juno R/C began, the 60-sized kits are better sellers and have a larger profit margin as well. At the very least, I plan to release the UK60 next year. If demand is there, the UK40 would be next. If I can solve the canopy issue on the T60, then I'd get that one out too.

Long term. I have a Me262 projet, A-7 projet, Bugatti R100, and Mig 21. The Mig 21 version I am working on is a bit different. It's a modified version, with the air intake below the cockpit (e.g. F-16-ish). Only two prototypes of this version were built. I like the looks of it, and it lends itself to a propjet rather easily. Anyway, that's what's brewing at Juno R/C.

For those interested in Juno R/C kits for 2009, I suggest sending me an e-mail and getting on the list. The orders are already pouring in for next year.

Derek
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 PM
SpeedBoy

I agree with XTOL .... build them BOTH , probably the question would be .... how fast do you want to go ???

I think the Tsunami can be faster due to the tinner airfoil but so that installing retracts could be a hassle , I don't know if someone has been able to do it if so would be good to know what brand of retracts were used .

If I were you Cobra99 my decision probably would depend if there is possible using retracts on the Tsunami if there isn't I would decide for the Ultra Sport as I love when the wheels disappear some seconds after take off and you get a cleaner/visual airframe .

Anyway you won't go wrong which ever way you go [8D].

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1091043  
Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Auburn02

Well, I wasn't planning on installing retracts on either, but it's always on my mind with just about any kit. Maybe a Tsunami with fixed gear and a US40 with retracts is the best path to take.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I feel better now about building a Thunderbird kit (a DC product) I had stashed away knowing he will be rereleased since he is probably the most beautiful of all of the Kaos designs. Interestingly, I laid the plans out next to a G.P. Dirty Birdy plan set and the dimensions are virtually identical. Will be putting in my orders after the first of the year. I don't think the price of these kits can be beat, either.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Auburn02

The Ultra Sport is pulling ahead in the poll, but with no explanation as to why.

ORIGINAL: SpeedBoy

If I were you Cobra99 my decision probably would depend if there is possible using retracts on the Tsunami if there isn't I would decide for the Ultra Sport as I love when the wheels disappear some seconds after take off and you get a cleaner/visual airframe .
Which retracts are you using in your Ultra Sport? I just finished a GP Mustang (40-size kit) with some light duty Hobbico mechanicals, and I seem to remember the last set of retracts I had used years ago (B&D air) were much sturdier. On of my favorite things to do with most of my planes is shoot approaches and touch and goes, so if I went with retracts I want something that's going to stand up to the increased wear and tear. Not excessive wear and tear of course, as I don't make bad landings.

Also, got anymore pics of that Ultra Sport?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:03 PM
SpeedBoy

Which retracts are you using in your Ultra Sport? I just finished a GP Mustang (40-size kit) with some light duty Hobbico mechanicals, and I seem to remember the last set of retracts I had used years ago (B&D air) were much sturdier. On of my favorite things to do with most of my planes is shoot approaches and touch and goes, so if I went with retracts I want something that's going to stand up to the increased wear and tear. Not excessive wear and tear of course, as I don't make bad landings.

Also, got anymore pics of that Ultra Sport?
Cobra ,

The retracts I'm using are Dave Brown !! WHAT A GREAT RETRACTS !! they have been used for 6 years now and let me tell you what , I haven't need make any adjustment since I buit the airplane , well I just needed change the tires due to the high milage after hundreds of flights . I have also a Patriot (see my avatar) with the same brand of retracts and 4 years with no problem on it . [sm=thumbs_up.gif] . Dave Brown are my first choice on retracts and I recommend them wiiiiiiiiiiiiidely.

And yes I have these pics to share with you , hope you like it ( the last pic was taken last Saturday)

P.S. share the same hobby with your father .... !!!!!!!!!! PRICELESS !!!!!!!!!!

Name:	Jh15799.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1091602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81960.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1091603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71659.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	1091604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97666.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1091605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93032.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	1091606  
Old 12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
SpeedBoy

Upsss I forgot the bottom side pic.

Name:	Zw69309.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1091607  
Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Auburn02

That really looks great man. Ironically, the last plane I mentioned that I had with retracts? Patriot!

Now I've really got a plan...the Webra 50 in a Tsunami kit with fixed gears, and my YS 45 w/tuned pipe in a new Ultra Sport with retracts. I better get to work! I was actually considering building a tricycle version of the Ultra Sport if I did that one (out of 7 planes I fly right now, only one is tricycle gear), but with retracts the taildragger wins hands down.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 AM
SpeedBoy

Yeaaaaa wise decision in everything .

Well , ironically YS-45 , tuned pipe and taildragger is the set-up you see on the pics above hehe and the airplane is very very fast for what it is . I have another US 40 in its box waiting for build and I'm planning to buy the Tsunami too .... it seems that we have the same taste on kits hehe Ultra Sport , Tsunami , Patriot . Just curios .... are you building a Shrike or its just me ??? lol .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.