Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Plans and Kit Cutters

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Plans and Kit Cutters

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Rufcut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans and Kit Cutters

I've built a couple of kits over the years and I have decided to get back into building. Trouble is I can't seem to find a kit that I like. Can someone recommend a place to buy plans and also a good kit cutter to cut the kit. Also, any tips you might have about getting a kit custom cut. I like the Golden Age era airplanes or maybe an amphibian. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rufcut
Old 12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: Plans and Kit Cutters

Here are a seaplane and a anphibian I am working on!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41277.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1090805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87113.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1090806  
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on what you what to build. There's a lot of plans available, just gotta narrow your focus.

FB
Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM
qldviking

Theree are plenty of plans available, just have a look on ebay, theres one seller there that has a range of large scale, which I have bought quite a few of, they are good quality and reasonably priced. For kit cutting try Lazer Lizard, I got 2 of thier kits, and they were very nicely and accurately cut, reasonable price too and good quality balsa and ply
Old 12-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Ram Jet

Try these guys:

http://lazer-works.com/misc.html

Bill
Old 12-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Rufcut

Thanks guys. As I research these kit cutters, I notice a lot of these guys don't stay in business for too long. Others have too much business and aren't taking orders right now. This will be my first custom build so I don't want to try anything too elaborate. Thanks for the links.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rufcut

Thanks guys. As I research these kit cutters, I notice a lot of these guys don't stay in business for too long. Others have too much business and aren't taking orders right now. This will be my first custom build so I don't want to try anything too elaborate. Thanks for the links.
Give Mace Gill a try. He took over from his dad, Chuck after Chuck passed away. They have been doing this for years, and I have had them cut several for me. Never a problem, and they are reasonable and prompt. Very accurate cutting too. The company is called the Aeroplane Works.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Give Mace Gill a try. He took over from his dad, Chuck after Chuck passed away. They have been doing this for years, and I have had them cut several for me. Never a problem, and they are reasonable and prompt. Very accurate cutting too. The company is called the Aeroplane Works.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Bill

Unfortunately, Mace sold his company, and he's no longer in the business.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Rufcut

Thanks for the lead, Stick. Unfortunately, Tom is correct that Mace Gill sold the business. It is now being operated by John Monaghan and the company is called The Aeroplane Factory. Once I select a model, I'll give him a call. I'm still looking for a model that really catches my interest. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM
TomCrump

Since Mace has left us, I use Precision Cut Kits.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Eureka Aircraft. Don has a great selection of pattern type short kits and they all fly great!

FB
Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
puff daddy

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
As a past customer of John's!!! (Aeroplane Factory, Wich was the Aeroplane Works) I do not recomend him. Unless you have months to spend of. "It's almost done, I'll get it out next week, I'm having a hard time getting the wood, I've been sick, Etc. Etc. Etc." find somone else. PCK or Lasercut USA If you can handle a short kit. both have excellent reputations. My honest opinion.
Wish Mace would of never sold the company. He was an honest and stand up guy. But that's the way it went. Randy
Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I also recommend Precision Cut Kits as a kit cutter. For vintage and Golden Age plans, look at www.vintagercplans.com. Most have cowls available for them. If the particular scale doesn't suit you, you could size it up.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Pierrot57

Hi,

I've a big problem with John Monaghan, i'v order since the 5 august 2008 a B25 from Ziroli, I've paid the 5 august via paypal,

John said many times: problem with wood, I'm sick, you order was send tis week.

At the begining he say 4 to 6 weeks to deliver.... after 18 weeks nothing,

last week he said your order was send the monday 15 december, since his last mail, i've send 3 mails, no news from him.

Best.

Pierre.

Sorry for my language, i'm french.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Pierrot57

Somebody else has problems with John from Aeroplane Factory?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:25 PM
The sign man

Keep your eyes open for Flying Models magazine this upcoming month they will have a plane called the Twin Lizzy with plans available for building.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Rufcut

Thanks for the lead. Still doing my due dilligence I like the "Coot 1-A" and the "Norseman". As usual, I feel like I'm getting in over my head but that's half the fun, right.[X(]
Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
rmyret
My Feedback: (67)

Tried PCK. Kit promised in four months. Many phone calls and E mails. Many excuses; too busy etc. Finally got the kit more than one year later. Started to build and found that wrong size stock was used to cut fuselage formers. Called PCK and was told to build it any way that the wood was metric. I said No way. 3/16 stock was substituted for 1/4 stock. The Parts are supposed to interlock together. Just imagine the slop in fitting 3/16 parts in 1/4 slots. Still waiting for proper sized parts.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Nathan_L

Personally I think it's hit or miss. In the last year I've ordered stuff cut from 3 different companies - all listed in this thread. Some people say they get great kits from XXX company while others don't.

The first kit was cut from the wrong material and some pieces at the wrong scale (which did not match the plans nor the rest of the kit).

Another company that comes highly recommended I never could get in touch with even tho thier website says they commonly had the kit I needed in stock. No returns on calls, emails and even a written letter.

The third I got from Mace and it was great and right on..but as mentioned he's no longer in business and from what I read I'm not sure why the guy even bought him out...not only from listening to his customers but his own post on certain message boards.

I think you just kind of take your chances.

I'm just starting another plane now and it's off Ziroli plans and this time around I'm just cutting the kit myself. Less headache and at it will match the plans for size/shape and material.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 AM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry to hear about PCK. Was going to order a kit cut tomorrow morning. Now will have to rethink about PCK. To bad.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Tsutomu Mabuchi

ORIGINAL: Pierrot57

Hi,

I've a big problem with John Monaghan, i'v order since the 5 august 2008 a B25 from Ziroli, I've paid the 5 august via paypal,

last week he said your order was send the monday 15 december, since his last mail, i've send 3 mails, no news from him.

Best.

Pierre.

I have ordered Ziloli PT17 kit and paid by PayPal in March 2008 and received nothing yet.
He said it would take long at that time and I thought 2 or 3 months.
Since it was so long that I forgot that I have ordered my PT17, but I remembered
on Dec. last year that I was waiting the kit then emailed him about my order.
I have had no answer from him as of now.
Does Aeroplane Factory(renamed from Aeroplane Works) still exist?

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Guys,
Buy a 1/8" band saw, scroll saw and a disc sander and cut your own. I have cut numerous kits including 2 1/4 scale bipes and it does not take that long to cut your own kit and you get it the way you want it. The most time I have spent cutting a kit is about 20 hrs. One good weekends worth of work and your kit is ready to go.
Anthony
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 AM
vmsguy

I'll throw in another vote for Lazerworks... out of Wichita Falls, TX. (See post #5)

Trying to remember.. I've gotten 3 different short kits from them. One of the kits, (Sweepee) I sent them plans and they made it into a short kit. The other kits, they had "on file." I had the short kits, delivered on my doorstep within 10 days of placing the order....

Currently, I have Ed working on a 1/4 Scale Pitts. He said he'll be able to start conversion in a couple weeks... For what it's worth.. I believe him. When he gave me time estimates on the Sweepee... he was right on the money...
Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used lazer-works many times and have always been very happy with their services. I've never waited more than a couple weeks for my order and the wood quality and accuracy were excelent. Eddie always answers the phone and never gives you any BS. He's a "tell it like it is" kinda guy. Here are a couple threads I did on lazer-works kits.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7750322/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6244306/tm.htm

-Johnny-
Old 02-21-2009, 03:58 AM
TomCrump

ORIGINAL: Tsutomu Mabuchi

ORIGINAL: Pierrot57

Hi,

Best.

Pierre.

I have ordered Ziloli PT17 kit and paid by PayPal in March 2008 and received nothing yet.
He said it would take long at that time and I thought 2 or 3 months.
Since it was so long that I forgot that I have ordered my PT17, but I remembered
on Dec. last year that I was waiting the kit then emailed him about my order.
I have had no answer from him as of now.
Does Aeroplane Factory(renamed from Aeroplane Works) still exist?

Tsutomu Mabuchi

Do not confuse the Aeroplane Factory with the Aeroplane Works.

Mace Gill was the original owner. When he sold the company, it was renamed. Mace is a stand up guy, and always delivered on his promises.

The new owner, has not been able to live up to this reputation, for whatever reason. He has since closed up shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.