Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Piper Cub J3 1/4 - SIG or Balsa USA

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Piper Cub J3 1/4 - SIG or Balsa USA

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Piper Cub J3 1/4 - SIG or Balsa USA

ORIGINAL: BelAirBob

SunDevilPilot,

I have my 1/4 Sig Cub already covered. Am I too late to modify for the Robart gear? I still am not clear on what you have to do to make it fit.

Thanks

bob
I have started a thread on my build of the Sig 1/4 Cub. You can see the modification made to the fuselage to make the Robart gear fit. They are just a little bit shorter, front to rear, than the stock gear configuration. To make it fit I just doubled the size of the rear mount. Here is a direct link to some photos:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9510781

Hope this helps,

SunDevilPilot
Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Piper Cub J3 1/4 - SIG or Balsa USA

OK....thank you

bob
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Wrldctzn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormovic
The sig is the way to go. The struts are functional. I have built two of the Sig kits and they are super quality and I think dead on tru scale. The sig will fly fine with a 4 stroke .90. Anothe choice is the 1/5 scale sig. To me this is the best Cub kit on the market and goes together like a Swiss watch. With it you will have the functioning fold down door and fold up window designed into it.
I am about to start on a SIG Cub 1/4 but I would like to make it electric. Any recommendations on motors and ESC?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:27 PM
martair

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys

I am planing to build a 1/4 scale piper as well.
It is still unclear to me which one to choose!?
I think the SIG has a more scale overall appearance where as the BALSA USA has a nicer cabin with smaller pillars and a functioning door!
Even though I see pictures of the SIG with a door as well. Is that been an upgrade??
I was wondering of either of the two models have been substantially upgraded in the last few years!?
On the website of Stewart Aircraft Corporation it says that the BALSA USA has been completely revised and upgraded.
Any comments or experiences from your side would be very much appreciated!
RGDS Martin
Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by martair
Hi guysI am planing to build a 1/4 scale piper as well.It is still unclear to me which one to choose!? I think the SIG has a more scale overall appearance where as the BALSA USA has a nicer cabin with smaller pillars and a functioning door!Even though I see pictures of the SIG with a door as well. Is that been an upgrade??I was wondering of either of the two models have been substantially upgraded in the last few years!?On the website of Stewart Aircraft Corporation it says that the BALSA USA has been completely revised and upgraded.Any comments or experiences from your side would be very much appreciated!RGDS Martin
The Sig kit wasn't upgraded... the door / window mod you have seen on other sig 1/4 scale cubs was done by the builder... the door frame has to be re-enforced, preferably during the build... I'm in the process of cutting out the door on a already built 15 year old cub... its a bit more tedious doing the door after the fuselage has been built, but not impossible... I'll be posting some images on the ***Cub Brotherhood*** thread when I finish prepping all the bits an pieces... right now I have the right side fuse almost ready to glue in the re-enforcement wire, then I will move on to the left side fuse and re-enforce that side... then I'll be able to go back and cut out the door and window on the right side and then remove the 2 formers that the re-enforcement wires replace... then the cockpit will be free of any obstructions and can be fitted out with the interior.

Go to this link... Cub Man has posted instructions on how to do the door / window mod on the sig cub

http://thecubden.org/j3l4-related/op...oor-and-window

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 02-21-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:15 AM
wetbird
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
The Sig kit wasn't upgraded... the door / window mod you have seen on other sig 1/4 scale cubs was done by the builder... the door frame has to be re-enforced, preferably during the build... I'm in the process of cutting out the door on a already built 15 year old cub... its a bit more tedious doing the door after the fuselage has been built, but not impossible... I'll be posting some images on the ***Cub Brotherhood*** thread when I finish prepping all the bits an pieces... right now I have the right side fuse almost ready to glue in the re-enforcement wire, then I will move on to the left side fuse and re-enforce that side... then I'll be able to go back and cut out the door and window on the right side and then remove the 2 formers that the re-enforcement wires replace... then the cockpit will be free of any obstructions and can be fitted out with the interior.

Go to this link... Cub Man has posted instructions on how to do the door / window mod on the sig cub

Opening Door and window. ? The Cub Den

John M,
Hello John M
This is Gerry. I came across your thread about adding a door & window to the Sig 1/4 scale J3 Cub. I wish I had came across your thread sooner, I've already cut & built the door & window. I knew I needed to reinforced where I cut the right side frame out for the door & window, but didn't think I needed to add 5/32 piano wire to help reinforce that area. Do you have photos of your project of adding the door & window to your already built Cub? I know it's been about 4 years when you were doing that. My Cub is still in the building process, but of course I've gone passed that part of the build. I'm close to being done, the fuselage, wing, tail section are all done.
I'm adding floats to this plane, so I still have that to do. The hardware for installing the floats are already added to the fuselage.
I would love to see some photos, if you have them posted on here for the door & window project, I would like to see them. Can you point the way for me. I've been looking on here for your photos you said you were going to post, but I can't find them. Any help would be appreciated!

This is where I'm at in my build, the door & window is built, but need to do the reinforcing like in that article you posted. Thank you for that.