Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Engine mounting

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Engine mounting

Old 12-29-2008, 09:55 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mounting

Can an engine be mounted in the 9 o'clock position in a 40 size Supersportster? Wiil weight be transfered to that side? If so, will the weight shift need to be compensated for in the opposite wing tip? Any input would be appriciated. Thanks Joe
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Engine mounting

the weight is on the center line of the plane so it will not know the difference. you will be fine......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68714.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1099167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54509.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1099168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62028.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1099169  
Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some people laterally balance their planes to compensate for this but I rarely bother. I'm just a sport flyer.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting idea. Both my SS's had the engine upright but a side mount would look really clean. I always like to mock the plane up with the engine and all the other components before covering anyhow so if there was a balance issue (likely very slight) you could take care of it before the covering goes on.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I mount engines depending upon the cowl and or exhaust exits. On my favorite sport flier, Sig SSE I origionaly had the engine upright and all of the fuel residue would enter around the removable canopy. This winter I cut the nose off and mounted the motor on its side and now the exhaust from the muffler will exit out the bottom of the plane, a lot cleaner for the wing joint and canopy.

The distance from center that the weight is displaced is so small it has little effect, if any in some cases. Mount the motor in any position that favors the airframe/engine combination and always ballance the airplane lateraly.

Blue Skies
Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The side mount may change the lateral balance some, but don't let that deter you from side mounting. You will likely have more of a weight difference from other things, like heavy wood or more glue on one wing. I always laterally balance my planes. Even if you are only a sport pilot, a plane that is not laterally balanced can give inconsistant performance. Especially in a loop, it will tend to pull to the heavy wing side.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
rica1
My Feedback: (32)

If the engine is side mounted and the head is on the right side, I try to mount throttle servo, pump, regulator etc. on the opposite side of the firewall or in the fuselage. Not that it makes any big difference, I just don't want to add any more weight than needed when balancing the plane latterly.