Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Early 90's MAN with Muffler Article?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Early 90's MAN with Muffler Article?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early 90's MAN with Muffler Article?

As the title says, I am looking for an early 90's Model Airplane News that had an article on constructing homebuilt mufflers. I think it was in 92 or 93 and I believe the issue had a German aircraft on the cover, maybe an Me-109. The author was european and the article had details on the theory of acoustics and practical advice and details for homebuilt mufflers and mini-pipes similar to mousse can pipes.

Any help or info would be great. A scan would fantastic.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Early 90's MAN with Muffler Article?

I have no idea which issue it was, but I too am interested in obtaining such an article. If you find out, please post it here. I'm sure many others would be interested too. Good luck in your search.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mark and Ed,
I have that article stashed away somewhere. I will look for it later today. I used the information in that article to build mufflers for a Henschel 129 that exhausted through scale pipes. It took me several tries, but I ended up with mufflers that had the same back pressure (tank pressure) as the factory mufflers, and were slightly quieter. It took a lot of cut and try. The keypoint that finally achieved the results is that the tailpipe has to be the same length as the expansion chamber and has to have half its length inside the expansion chamber. Due to constraints of getting the mufflers inside the scale cowl, I was not able to follow all of the suggestions. I had one version that had a tuning effect and gave about a 10% rpm gain with the same prop. That's about a 33% power increase.
Chuck
Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Found it, by Tore Paulson. Nov, 1995. It is 6 pages long. What is your question?
Chuck