Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

I love SIG

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

I love SIG

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
_Chuck_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love SIG

I got an LT-40 kit this summer. It's finally building time. After searching the house, it looks like I have lost the manual. (I probably just could have followed Ken's thread, but I'm not that confident yet. )

I emailed SIG this morning and already have received a response with an attachment containing the manual.

Many thanks to Mike at SIG.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
chemie

Default RE: I love SIG

That's interesting. I have looked online as I like to read a manual before buying. Never thought about asking for a "lost one" to get the pdf.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Help can come in many forms.

I have been to a few SIG funflys, and I saw a 1/4 cub hammer in to the fields, they drug the carcass back into the pits ,and Hazel Sig walked the guy over to the sales area and handed him a new kit.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Live Wire

Looking back you could not find better People than Glen, Hazel nd Maxie.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Ram Jet

I love Sig Manufacturing too. If I'm looking for something I go there first. They ship very promptly and their customer service is some of the best. Their wood is of exceptional quality also.

Bill
Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 AM
sugarfox
My Feedback: (1)

I met Hazel years ago at Oshkosh when we were eating lunch and she asked if she could sit at our table. Haven't met a nicer person since............sugarfox
Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 AM
MikeL@Sig

Hi Guys,

We don't have our manuals available online. We do have most of them available for email in a PDF format. If you are looking for one you can email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to email it to you if we have it.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 AM
_Chuck_

ORIGINAL: chemie

That's interesting. I have looked online as I like to read a manual before buying. Never thought about asking for a "lost one" to get the pdf.
I hear you. After how they took such good care of me, I don't think I'd fib to them in the future.

I was shocked they sent it to me. I was ready to email them a picture of the box of parts if got to that.

Hey! I assume that's the same Mike @ SIG who took care of me. Thanks Mike!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Mike is a great guy to talk to. Had a problem with some "not-so-good" quality balsa delivered my way just the other week and decided to let Mike know I was not pleased. Sent an email and thought that was the last of it. Got a return email very quickly and Mike offered to replace the balsa and did it in a real nice way. Way to go Mike! Also...their delivery is very fast and everything arrives in good shape too. Now..if they could give the gal that answers the phone a heads-up on coming across like she gives a darn when you call I'd say we'd have a winner here! Nevertheless I'd order from Sig without hesitation.

Joe
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised that the not so nice balsa made it into the kit in the first place. I LOVE my Hobby Lobby Skimmers and I've built a couple Dynaflight and Great Planes kits and but they are all comparatively Yugos where Sig's a Cadi........
Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM
squeakalong

Wasn't in a kit, was ordered in bulk. I've built a lot of Sig kits over time with no real problems however the balsa recently received wasn't anything like I expected. Mike Lee decided to make it right though and we'll see what happens when the box arrives.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Nergall

OK, so virtually all the kits I buy are SIG, so thanks for some great products!

However, why can't you put the manuals online? Like another person here, I really like to review the instructions before investing in the kit. (Not so much the money as the time!)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM
chemie

Let me add the reason I wanted to read the manual before buying is so my TH order can have all the right "bits and bobs"; either because it is needed or because I want to "change out" portions of the supplied hardware.
Also, as a beginner builder, reading the manual helps one gauge whether they can "handle" that particular kit. A confidence booster before buying.

I am working on a 4*-40 ARF and a SSE kit and both are a pleasure to build. Not that I have much to reference but the balsa in the SSE seemed top-notch and the instrutions could be followed by a 5-year-old (an old quote: "This is so easy a 5 year old could do it.....quick...someone get me a 5 year old!!).
Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Nergall

It's more than that to me. I do want to look at how things go together.

Are the aileron servos sticking out, or are they nicely tucked in, and still easy to get to like on the Four Star?

Like you said, how complete is the included hardware? Tower Hobbies does a great job of listing the odd extra things I need to order, but the manual is even better.

I've also checked the back of a few Great Planes manuals to read a more detailed explanation of the piloting skills the plane is aimed at.

So far, I've just trusted SIG, and honestly, I haven't been disappointed.

However, it seems like SIG wants the "discriminating" buyer, since they produce such good kits. In that case, I would think the more information they make available, the more likely the "discriminating" buyer will decide to make that purchase.

And, we are asking for manuals - NOT plans. It's not like I can scratch build from the manual anyway.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nothing but nice things to say about Sig kits, and hey their ARF's are wonderful too.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 PM
_Chuck_

I agree. I don't know about their other kits, but the manual for the LT-40 does NOT have a copy of the plans in the back. I don't know what harm it would be to make it available.

Heck, you could almost make your own Ultra Sport from downloading the manual from Great Planes. The image at the back of the PDF is of a pretty high resolution.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:57 AM
chemie

It would be easy enough to exclude the pages which show the cut-out forms.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Rufcut

I've dealt with Sig a number of times over the years and I have to say that as far as I'm concerned they are the standard by which all others are measured.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
squeakalong

Hi all!

A follow up note to say I am most impressed with the honest, straight forward, and fast service provided by Mike Lee and the folks at Sig. In an above post (#9) I mentioned receiving some less than ideal balsa from Sig and sending an email to Mike as a means of letting him know my displeasure. I received the replacement balsa this morning and I have to say Mike did an outstanding job in making a customer want to continue ordering Sig products. The shipment was very usable, packed very nicely, and arrived intact to my front door in a swift manner. What more could you ask for? Mike even made a notation on the billing form to send out decent wood and that they did. Kudos to you Mike and to the staff at Sig! [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 01-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Nergall

I did e-mail Mr. Lee to ask if he would send the manuals for planes I was "thinking about buying but haven't bought yet".

He responded this morning with the manual in question. (And, I'm now a little closer to buying because the manual covered a detail I was uncertain about.)

Thanks again SIG!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've built a number of Sig kits since I started flying R/C 12 years ago and have never been disapointed with the quality and the end result: flyability.
Kits built: LT-40 (2)
Seniorita
4*60
Citabria
Kougar
In box: Dornier DO 217
BTW all these have except for the 4*60, been converted to electric. My Kougar goes like snake with a Scorpion 3026-10 outrunner and a 5S Lipo. Absolutely vertical forever.
Kits I'd like to get: 1/5 CUB, LT-25 (for twin conversion) Space Walker, Sea Lane.
I agree that Sig is the standard by which all other kit manufacturers must be judged.Great people and great service. Glen and Hazel started something very special that we must not lose.
Nice work to all the gang at Sig!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Trivia question: What was Glen's real name?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 PM
catracer343

Glen Sigafoose! I too am a certified Sigaholic. My first was a Fourstar 40, then a Kougar, then another Fourstar 40, and a Kavileer, followed by a Somthin' Extra. The Kavi , and the SSE are the only two that I currently have, but I'm looking forward to picking up another Kougar or a Spacewalker soon! I hope they never go out of business, their like baseball and apple pie....
Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; Me too! Let's see Sig kadet, kadet mk 11. 3 Mid-stars, 2 Kavaliers. a 1/4 Spacewalker, 2 four star 60's and a four star 60 ARF, A Liberty Sport, a Morrisey Bravo, an old Zlin, and , no doubt some others. Their Mid=star is my all time favorite plane. There is going to be a clipped wing cub 1/5 soon. Oh I forgot to mention 2 Sig gliders I built, one was a riser the other a ninja. Every one of them was a plesant enjoyable build, and each one flew beautifully.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:04 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I forgot the Ultimatte fun fly and the Fazer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.