Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Greatplanes Extra 300s .40 Build/mods

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Greatplanes Extra 300s .40 Build/mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 PM
brenthampton79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Greatplanes Extra 300s .40 Build/mods

thanks navy, I will let you know hopefully soon and also my wife will do a video of them flying as well so you guys can check out the difference between my moded plane versus the stock setup

also i must give my wife credit for the great job she did painting the pilots, i wish i would've got some close ups of them so you can see the detail she put in them

again thanks
brent
Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 PM
brenthampton79

well not to wake up my really own dead thread but I have read through it and seem to forgot to mention how the thing ended up flying

Well test flight went perfrect and have been flying it for about a year now and she flies like a dream all the mods worked out really well, the cowling has held up well with no cooling issues for the .50 this thing loves to tumble too its my favorite manuver with it the ailleron servo's with the mini give it plenty of power and roll rate is definately increased over the stock blue one in the pics, I am really happy with it and hopefully none of you will be upset for me waking my own thread up but I thought I might as well complete it even though I'm a little late in doing it

As for Navy earlier in the post asking about the air tractor pics look into my photobucket link posted earlier in the thread you will find a few of the 602 from last year and one new one of the 802 we got for this season now looking for another 502 to run with the 802 next season

If anyone is interested in asking questions about the extra feel free to ask I'll try to answer the best I can
Old 09-25-2010, 10:24 AM
HFrank

Congratulations Brenthampton79, your Extras look superb. [8D] Do you feel some improvement in knife edge flight with the enlarged rudder vs. the standard one ? BTW thanks for the FG cowling tip, I'll build one of these Extras soon and I'll order the cowling too.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 PM
brenthampton79

Thanks for the compliment and the fg cowl is lighter than a fiberglass speciatlies and about half the price too, no problem frank and yes I feel that the rudder helps enough to make it do knife edge well. On my third extra I added an inch to it and it seemed to fish tale back and forth so I cut a half of an inch off of it and it seemed to fly really good then so thats how I come up with the half inch mod addition to it. Im not into 3d so Im just looking for a scale like flying extra, I also ordered two digital hobbico cs110 servo's from a new lhs that im going to try on my ailerons if they work well then I may be able to save another ounce by going to the cs115 for the rudder and elevator since it has more torque than a standard bb servo, check them out. If people want me to continue to update the thread on the new mods that I do to the plane to make it better then I will if a few are interested in my thread.

Thanks
Brent
Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

I am still interested and keeping track; I have been out of building for awhile but need to get back in. Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 AM
HFrank

I'm interested too, I have one NIB and it will be my next project.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
brenthampton79

well servo's should be in today so maybe i can get them tomorrow and I'll keep updating the thread as I update my extra.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:18 PM
brenthampton79

Well tried the cs 110 mini servo's out on the ailerons today wow what a difference crisp and a lot more torque I am definately going to use a cople of cs 115 hobbico mini servo's on the rudder and aileron, im going to use only one servo per surface since the 115 has more torqe than the standard 3004 futaba servo. I am thinking about using these two different servos on all my 40 size planes from now on as well as use them in some aplications on my 60 size stuff too, wow what a find light weight economical and high torque not to mention digital as well.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Navy18

Can you provide a link to these servos? Like to look them over. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
brenthampton79

sure here you go. the first one is the kind im using on the ailerons on the extra currently and the second is the ones I plan to exchange my standard size rudder with and try it out next It should be here this week so I can try it out this weekend and see how it works. I will let everyone know as soon as I try it out. If they work well I think I will start to use these two types of servos on my future builds since they are lighter and digital as well. pretty cheap for a light weight digital servo especially for the 40 to 60 size airplanes, I am currently building a 60 size gp extra and would like to incorporate these since I am planning on using the new dle 20 for power when it comes out so maybe these will offset some of the weight gained by the gas engine.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUDS3&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUDS4&P=SM
Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Navy18

Thanks... I will add them to my next servo purchase in place of my usuals.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:36 PM
brenthampton79

Well tried out the cs115 servo for the rudder and it worked better than my standard 3004 futaba servo at half the weight on my elevator so I will definately be changing the elevator servo out to one of these as well. They seem to have faster response too.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 PM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Brent,

I have been using the TowerHobbies TH-110 and TH-115 for throttle in my 40-60 size planes. They are the same Hobbico's. I have been thinking about using them in ailerons and elevator halves but I have chicken out. Please report if they hold on good for a few more flights.

Pedro
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
brenthampton79

pedro no problem I will post on here from time to time and also keep everyone posted on the servo's as well as other mods I am doing to the extra.

as far as the servo's I beleive these things will be very reliable they seem to have way more torque and speed than a standard futaba bb servo so I am not even concerned if anything I feel safer having them since they are metal gear as well. Also the hobbico's 110 are cheaper by the way on towers website

also pedro if you remember my giles build i did on here a couple of years ago I went with the 55ax for power and it does excatly as I expected and have been happy with it but I am thinking of going to the 75 ax and using the 55 for another 40 size project
Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brent,

The 75AX will bring your Giles to life. You will see a totally different flying model with more power. Go for it!!!

The only issue I would see is the total weight. If I remember well, your Giles was on the heavy side with the 55AX.

Pedro