Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Motor Mount for Flexibility - 4*60 & Hog Bipe

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Motor Mount for Flexibility - 4*60 & Hog Bipe

Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Mount for Flexibility - 4*60 & Hog Bipe

I have 3 SIG kits that can use a similar engine. The kits are Kadet Senior, 4Star60 and Hog Bipe. I have several similar "sized" engines that include OS 61 FX, OS 91 FX, Supertigre G90, and Saito 91 (ringed).

My challenge is to come up with a common mount (one for each engine) that can be swapped (with its engine) between the different models while using the same firewall bolt pattern. (Yes, I understand that the 4-stroke will likely require a different throttle linkage but that is another topic.) I took my engines to a LHS to check out some options. The one I found that fits the bill is the Hayes AL60. This is the "long" version which is necessary for the rear-carbed Saito 91. The 2-strokes don't need the luxury and there is a short version that shares the same firewall bolt pattern.

There ya have it (for what it's worth ) ...

Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Minnreefer

Default RE: Motor Mount for Flexibility - 4*60 & Hog Bipe

Very cool, I have been wanting to come up with something like that myself. Thanks for the info

Jon
Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
SeamusG

I was thinking (dangerous activity) ...

I believe that this approach will work irrespective of the engine orientation of a particular plane. If the engine is canted 90 degrees or 180 degrees the location of each individual engine's spraybar should not be too different between the various engines and as the tank location has been adjusted during the build I don't think that this will be a problem.

If someone has a "yea BUT" please share. [8D]
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Campgems

I ran into this problem a while back, I built a plane and installed a Mag 52 four stroke on it. It turned out to need about 8 oz of weight up front, so I decided to use a Mag 70 instead. The 70 was a little wider than the 52, so I caculated the difference and milled that amount off the inside of each lug of a new set of beams. I redrilled them for the distance from the firewall for the 70 and all was well. I use the Dubro Viberation mounts. The 52 to 70 width difference is max for those mounts. There was enough beam width left, but not if I had to go wider.

The beam will always be on the vertical centerline of the engine, looking at the engine with the head vertical. If the mount had the horziontal center OK, then milling them equally would keep that center with the larger engine.

The other option is to use an aluminum plate on the firewall and mount your engine mounts to it, and the make the plate to fire wall mount pattern the same on all planes. In other words, there are a number of ways to accomplish what you want. My first suggestion eliminates any weight gain while the second does add weight up front.

Don

PS, My main computer is down because of a power supply issue, so I can't show photos of the mods I did on the Dubro mounts.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I standardized on the Great Planes mount some years ago
Old 01-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Clay Walters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/279950.asp