Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

byron pitts kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

byron pitts kit

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
greg d
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default byron pitts kit

hey I could use some help from some of you golden oldie kit builders.I really like old byron kits and I am building a pitts.I have gotten to the wings and I have been advised by several people but each of them has a different opinion imagine that!I believe that byron on this kit recommended just sanding the foam wing and covering.Some say no I have to "skin the wings with balsa" others say fiberglassing is best.still yet one said mix elmers and water cover and sand.I dont want the weight to become a factor but I do want it to fly and look nice.help! all advice appreciated
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM
nuvaring
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: byron pitts kit

Ultimately you can do what you want with it.... However, the wings are ready for covering with "Econocote". I think that's what it was called?? its the lower temp version of Monokote. I don't remember the name of the process of how the foam wing is made but it's blown into it's final shape and already has the slight droop between the wing ribs. Same goes for the fuselage. I've built a few of them in my day and boy it was much simpler then.... No complicated gadges, just plain ole servos and radios. I think PCM was the lastest thing....
Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

I'm building a byron extra I was given and the instructions clearly state to sheet the wings and tail surfaces with balsa. I have built a few other foam core wing kits and have never done one where sheeting was not required. The foam core is not very strong until you add the sheeting to stiffen it up.

Here's the thread I started with my progress so far....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8368652/tm.htm
Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

I am quite familiar with the Byron Pitts Special. It was Byron's first kit. It has an all injection molded foam airframe with surface details molded in. The only exceptable finishing method is low temp iron-on film covering or "glassing" with .5 oz fiberglass cloth and either epoxy resin, or water based urethane varnish which some people have gone to for simplicity. Glassing, if done right, will add about a pound of extra weight but a much more durable finish. Since you are not too familiar with glassing, I would recommend you cover it with the low temp film. It would be impossible and uneccesary to sheet the wings with balsa due to the molded detail. Folks that have told you to do this are not familiar with the airplane. Do you have the instruction manual? All of this is covered in the manual...I'd follow it to the letter if you want to be successful.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

Yup I admit I had no idea they were that type of molded detailed foam. The foam wings I've done in the past including my current Byron 300 I'm doing were all simple foam (styrofoam, soft and weak) cores that get sheeted then finished with covering or glass.

Can you post some photos of the pitts?

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
wilmington_steve

Does anyone have any documentation on the Byron Pitts? I bought (what I believe is) one of these at an auction the other day and would like the specs (CG, control throws, etc.). Thanks!