Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Electric to build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Electric to build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
derek2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric to build

I planted my mini pulse today. Very sad, but I have been wanting to build a new plane anyway. So now I have a Park 480, Phoenix ESC,2 HS 56's, and 2 HS55's that need a new home. I want to build something aerobatic. I like extras, Caps, Yaks, I also like more unusual looking things like scale agwaggons, but I am leaning towards a more 3d capable plane. Of coarse the problem is that there just aren't many kits of this type available. What recommendations to you have? I also thought about converting a house of balsa warbird to electric. I do not want an ARF.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Ethesis

Default RE: Electric to build

How about trying to biuld a flying wing? They have basically the best performance and are very durable. You probably need to upgrade the servos, though. It depends if you want to biuld something out of balsa or foam.
HS-56's are those really small micro servos, right? If you could find a FIK you could turn it into a slope glider, as long as you have a good reciever.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:04 PM
derek2005

I want something the same size as my mini pulse. I have a larger nitro plane, I want a park flyer replacement for my mini pulse. My servos are mini not micro. The 56's are nice. Good speed and torque, better than the 55's. I would like either an extra, yak, or cap, but most of these are ARFs. I'm not up to a scratch build yet, so I want to find a kit. I guess if I can't find a kit I like, I will just get an ARF. There are a ton of those. I just really wanted to build a nice kit.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 PM
derek2005

Sorry, HS 55's and 56's are sub micro. I'm tire and just not thinking straight.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the planes from [link=http://www.stevensaero.com/]Stevens AeroModel[/link] and [link=http://www.mountainmodels.com/]Mountain Models[/link]. They both sell nice laser-cut kits for electric. The Etana from MM is supposed to be a great airplane and is a good match for your power setup.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:15 AM
mclina

I like that Mountain Models Lucky Ace:

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=589

I also have a set of electronics for a small electric looking for a home. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with the [link=http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=POL-1&Category_Code=AM]Polaris.[/link] Cheap, durable, fun to build...and even funner to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75283.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1118107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28217.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1118108  
Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 AM
derek2005

I have looked at the MM kits, and I know they have great reviews and support, but they just don't have the best finished look. I do like the etana enough to consider it, but I wish the cowl seemed to match the plane better. I suppose a good modeler could make it look alright. I may give it a go.