Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Clipped Wing Cub 1/6-Scale!! Need help!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Clipped Wing Cub 1/6-Scale!! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM
colbygfp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clipped Wing Cub 1/6-Scale!! Need help!

I want to buy this but I have never done a kit before. When I am done will the plane look like it is in the picture? What are some things I should consider when buying it? Any tips? I know this is not a beginner kit but my dad has built a few and I am sure he could help me out on parts of it. Thanks guys

Here is the one I plan on buying!

https://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200459797

Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Clipped Wing Cub 1/6-Scale!! Need help!

Your dad might have to help you a good bit on this kit. Most of it is "stickbuilt", meabing that you have to cut and fit each piece in the fuselage. the wing ribs are die cut, but that's about all that is pre-cut. It builds into a very nice looking and great flying plane, though.

Yes, it will look like the picture when you are done.........when you are done building the frame, and then covering it and then either painting the cover, or using trim strips to make the second color. With enough time, patience and effort, any kit can be built to look like the picture on the box, depending on how careful you are.

The 1/6 scale Sig Cub has been around a long time, and the design goes back to the days when most kits were just a box full of sticks and balsa sheet, and you had to provide the rest. the landing gear on this kit is piano wire, the joints have to be wrapped with copper wire and soldered. This also takes some degree of skill, but there's Dad again. This would not be the first kit I would recommend, even with help, but I do love Cubs.

I would recommend the larger 1/5 Sig Cub kit before I would this one. It is laser cut, the fuse builds as a trussed box, all the parts fit with tabs and for a beginner I believe it would be easier to achieve a good result. The 1/5 can be built as either the full span (84.5 inches), or the clipped wing (68.3 inches) from the same kit. I don't know if the larger size would work for you, and it is more expensive, as is the bigger engine needed for it.

You'll have a challenging job, but if your Dad can give you a hand (make it a joint venture), the 1/6 scale model can be done. That isn't a bad price, either, the full span 1/6 scale is over $80 from Tower. Go for it.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:11 PM
colbygfp

Hello khodges,

The 1/5 scale price is a pretty big jump. I don't know what I should do.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

I am finishing this kit now, Im not doing the clip wing however and i will say this

This is my second kit and it is NOT for beginners, i honestly think i could conquer any kit after building this Luckily i build with my father who has been building for probably 30years. You will need ALOT of patience and it will take quite awhile to build.
Ive not built the 1/5 scale but ive heard it is a great build and much easier.
Personally i liked the challenge of this kit and i have every tool accessible to me in my pops hobby room.

So thats my 2cp i cant tell you wether you should or not. only offer what i know about it

Best of luck! Look forward to see what you decide

IT IS DOABLE!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the Goldberg Anniversary cub. It's not as "Scale" as the Sig, but it builds much easier and with the clipped wing, it is the best flying Cub I've ever flown

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXDJC6
Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 PM
colbygfp

Hey guys thanks for all the replys. I decided I would just go with something simple for now sense I have never done this before. And my flying skills are probably not the best to be playing with bigger scales anyways. I got it from Sig. It's all laser cut, so it probably be easy for me. Not bad price either.

(3 channel recommended)

48" =wing
328sq." =area 328sq
20oz. =weight
8.8oz/sq.' =Wing load
.049 to .061 or Engine
Speed 400 Electric

I would like to maybe put alerions on it though. Any tips I how I might go about this? Is it possible?