Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

NIB"P-40 WARHAWK" by TOP FLITE "RED BOX" 60 in.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

NIB"P-40 WARHAWK" by TOP FLITE "RED BOX" 60 in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
KentuckyColonel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NIB"P-40 WARHAWK" by TOP FLITE "RED BOX" 60 in.

Can anyone direct me to anything on the internet about this kit? I have searched both RCU and RCG. I have found where people have the plane and mentioned it, but I'd like to find a build thread. This is, as I stated, going to be my first kit build, so I need to do some research.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I detect a slight note of apprehension. About all the help I can give to start is have a flat serfice. I use drywall on my bench so pins will stick into it. Second have adequate tools like triangles, squares, knives and saws. The object is to build square and straight. Follow the instructions. Measure twice, cut once. Should you encounter anything you do not understand there are plenty of guys here that will help. Just ask. If you are a member of a club, don't be ashamed to ask there or even at your local hobby shop even if you did buy the kit there. One problem I remember is shaping the balsa blocks like on the nose. I have a couple of small razor planes which is great for initial shapping then a lot of sanding. Have a different shaped sand blocks with different corseness of sand paper. Finally, don't hurry, take your time. Haist makes waist. I don't know about others but I am constantly adding tools to my shop. I have never seen a tool I did not need. In my opinion the best thing about building is at the field you can stick your chest out and proudly say I BUILT IT!!! Good luck and keep us posted on progress.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
KentuckyColonel

ORIGINAL: matadco

I think I detect a slight note of apprehension. About all the help I can give to start is have a flat serfice. I use drywall on my bench so pins will stick into it. Second have adequate tools like triangles, squares, knives and saws. The object is to build square and straight. Follow the instructions. Measure twice, cut once. Should you encounter anything you do not understand there are plenty of guys here that will help. Just ask. If you are a member of a club, don't be ashamed to ask there or even at your local hobby shop even if you did buy the kit there. One problem I remember is shaping the balsa blocks like on the nose. I have a couple of small razor planes which is great for initial shapping then a lot of sanding. Have a different shaped sand blocks with different corseness of sand paper. Finally, don't hurry, take your time. Haist makes waist. I don't know about others but I am constantly adding tools to my shop. I have never seen a tool I did not need. In my opinion the best thing about building is at the field you can stick your chest out and proudly say I BUILT IT!!! Good luck and keep us posted on progress.
No, not a little apprehension........a lot of apprehension. I suppose the best thing to do is to just get started.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Slightly off topic, but which of the VF 40size Warbirds do you like the best. I've noticed you have tried out a few of them. I'm leaning toward the ME109 or the FW190 for my next bird. StikDude
Old 02-07-2009, 03:00 PM
KentuckyColonel

Both the Fw 190 and the Bf 109 fly great, and are a pretty straight forward assembly, nothing really to look out for. Of the two, my favorite.......I think it's a tie, although I like the paint scheme on the FW 190 a little better. Not the Gray and green, but the green and sky (more classic Fw 190 look). I powered the 109 with a thunder tiger pro 46 and swapped that out later with a magnum .52. Both worked just fine. Having said that, my FW 190 is powered by a Magnum .70 4-stroke and I really like the performance. Not to mention that it sounds so much better. Bottom line, in my opinion, get which ever one fancies you! They are both great planes as far as I am concerned.
I bought mine from [link=http://www.vqwarbirds.com]VQ Warbirds[/link] and am, as you might tell from my postings, very happy with the service I have gotten from Tomas.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Thanks for the info., they look nice, I've just not met anyone in person who owned one, so I've never seen them assembled. Always helps to get opinions before pulling the trigger. I think it's the ME109 for me. Good luck with your build, I'll be watching for it to start!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:19 PM
KentuckyColonel

Got a start on the P-40 today. Best way to get started is to just, well, get started!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 AM
matadco

ORIGINAL: KentuckyColonel

Got a start on the P-40 today. Best way to get started is to just, well, get started!

The longest trip in the world begains with one small step!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
KentuckyColonel

First question. Stab supports. Can't find any wood the right size. I assume they'll be balsa? Should I keep looking because they are there somewhere, or do I cut them?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

There should be one piece same thickness as the fuse sides about 8"-10" long that you cut both out of.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM
KentuckyColonel

Found it. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:33 AM
matadco

Colonel: Been to many years since I built the Red Box Edition of the P-40, however I currently have a Gold Edition which I will be building just as soon as I can get a couple other projects completed. Looking over the Gold Edition instruction book about your question, you may want to order a copy of the Gold Edition from Top Flite. It is very detailed with instructions. I recall having difficutly installing retracts in my 1980 kit however this booklet is very detailed for retract installition. Also for Technical Assistance you can call (217) 398-8970. Just a thought!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 PM
jjscott

I've enjoyed following this thread. Brings back memories of the Red Box P-40 I built in 1982. It was kitbashed into a P-40F with the longer clear canopy and extended fuselage. Powered by a K&B 61, fixed gear. I sold it before I flew it. I often wonder what happened to it.

Just build yours. You can do it.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16739.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1133116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83163.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1133117  
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 AM
VeeAte

Don't for get to take lots of pics for us KentuckyColonel!

I am still deciding if I want to purchase a TF Gold Edition P40 warhawk.
Never built a kit and like you KC I reckon I would lose interest building anything but a warbird.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM
jsv1204

Great thread - Welcome to the hobby, Colonel! In my opinion, you haven't really checked out an airplane on her first flight until the plane sitting out there on the runway is one you've built yourself. I am working an old-school kit (Astro-Hog) now, and must say that new, engineered kits are a lot more friendly to a new builder, but if you take your time do it right, I think the plane you get will be a little bit more "yours". How is it going?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM
KentuckyColonel

Going pretty good so far. I just cut out the area for the rear window area of the canopy, but have yet to clean it up and add inserts. Looking a little more like a P-40 though!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26879.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1146253  
Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 AM
matadco

How do you keep things so neet and clean? Ship lookin good.