Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Servoless Mechanical Retracts.. Any experience?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Servoless Mechanical Retracts.. Any experience?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servoless Mechanical Retracts.. Any experience?

This might not be the correct forum.. So moderators.. move if you want to....

I ran across some servoless, mechanical retracts.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ing_Gear_set__

They look interesting. They seem too light duty for anything bigger than 40 sized bird.

Does anyone have experience with these? Or anything like them?
Are there other manufactures/sources?
I'd really like to find bigger/heavier units. Something that would be appropriate for 60 sized, or slightly larger, birds.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Servoless Mechanical Retracts.. Any experience?

Very nice! I'm guessing that the $44 price tag is for each unit, but that's not bad at all if the strut is included.

I'm with you, I wish they would work on a 60-size bird.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess someone has to try them out, heres the other company that started this idea, they look much beefier and traditional in style, there made by LADO.

[link]http://www.lado-tech.net/index.php[/link]
Old 02-03-2009, 02:01 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the other company that started this idea,

No, the company that started this idea was Kraft a long time ago. At that time, they were just called electric retracts.

Paul
Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

OK, sorry, but kraft is kaput and we now have only 2 choices in electric retracts, now don't we?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

OK, sorry, but kraft is kaput and we now have only 2 choices in electric retracts, now don't we?
I would narrow that down to one, the Lado site shows every item as "out of stock".

This is an idea I have been toying with. I have some what looks like nice stout mechanical retracts that I would like to motorize. The Hobby City ones look a bit light for what I wanted, and the Lado site looking like it may be out of business, I'm back to square one.

Don
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Campgems

Ops, I did a little more reading on the Lado site and it looks like they are basicly build to order at this point.

Don
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Sharpeye22

Lado is not out of busness. I just got an e-mail today from them saying they have shipped my retracts. I bit ago I ordered them and Doug told me he was having trouble getting the small electric motors that go in them. It was a temp. problem and expected his supplier to ship a new supply soon. He must of got them in for he has shipped my gear. He also mentioned they were changing from made to order to putting gear on the shelf to pull from. It may be a short while till his stock is built up enough to begin doing that.
Sharpeye
Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Star7

A friend just got a set of Lado retracts. My recollection is that it took 6-8wks between order and delivery. He showed them to me and I must say they are a work of art. The model hasn't flown yet so we shall see how they function. Construction was very impressive.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:25 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

This might not be the correct forum.. So moderators.. move if you want to....

I ran across some servoless, mechanical retracts.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ing_Gear_set__

They look interesting. They seem too light duty for anything bigger than 40 sized bird.

Does anyone have experience with these? Or anything like them?
Are there other manufactures/sources?
I'd really like to find bigger/heavier units. Something that would be appropriate for 60 sized, or slightly larger, birds.

Thanks in advance

Well... I ordered some... I ordered them on February 2nd.. They have yet to arrive. We'll see what they're like when I get them.. I bought a Slow Poke 40 at the recent TCRC auction.. I'm thinking it might be fun to try them in that...
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Sharpeye22

Well... I ordered some... I ordered them on February 2nd.. They have yet to arrive. We'll see what they're like when I get them.. I bought a Slow Poke 40 at the recent TCRC auction.. I'm thinking it might be fun to try them in that...
I also considered getting a set for my H9 P51 PTS. I will be waiting to see what you think of them.
Sharpeye
Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 AM
vmsguy

They finally arrived.

I've included pictures.

Picture 1 is the complete setup along with my Tx and Rx for testing. I also put a pair of GP .40 sized mechanical retracts in the picture for comparison.

This "main gear" setup compes with a controller box, about the size of my Rx. It has one lead coming out which plugs into the Rx. And like a Rx has 3 "gozintas" (Goes intos) Then the retracts themselves plug into it. And finally two bags of struts/tires.

The connections were pretty straight forward. And they worked right out of the box. It takes about 15 seconds for them to fully retract or extend.

Other pictures has just the retract and the mechanical retract beside it for comparison. Both in extended and retracted positions.

Initial impressions.

I would NEVER put them in anything bigger than a .40 sized airplane.. And that's pushing it. I would NEVER use them in a scenario where they retract forward. They don't look to have any "locking" capability. So I'd only use them in a scenario where they retract side-ways.

I had the thought of bashing them into a Slow Poke 40. They might work there. The plane is a slow flyer, can land at a slow speed. Etc. Rough grass fields might be a little iffy, especially on a fast landing plane..

Just my thoughts...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90653.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1162483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98618.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1162484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50590.jpg
Views:	16