Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Manufacturer

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Your Favorite Manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Korben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Favorite Manufacturer

Okay, So I'm an extreme newbie. I just ordered my first plane an RTF to learn the flying part. I'm more interested in the building part however. I've been doing a lot of research, but am feeling overwhelmed by all the choices. So I was wondering what the experts ( that's you) like to build and fly. Also any suggestions for a good first build, and also a good biplane kit would be awesome.

Thanks,
Korben
Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
draftman1

Default RE: Your Favorite Manufacturer

Hey Korben Mid Cal Spads is my favorite manufacture and the spad debonair is a great first time build plane! also I am partial to the goldberg eagle trainer kit and the sig fourstar 40 kit. dont worry about the bipe right now.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a question that can cover a lot of ground...................but here is my favorite kit builder that builds into real looking airplanes,

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/

but as you said, just starting out and want a good kit to start with that is not complicated, here is a starter for a biplane if and when you are ready for it,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ581&P=0

it's easy to build, gives some all out performance, but lands like a trainer.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Korben

I've been scoping out those spad planes, I made signs for 5 years and could get coro for cheap if not free. will defiantly give one a shot when I get my radio.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like anything else - what kinda plane puts a smile on your face? You need to help the peanut gallery by explaining how you fly now and how you want to fly this season? Are you an electric, glow or gas kinda flier? 2-stroke or 4-stroke? Do you see yourself flying slow-and-easy? Aerobatic crazy man? Arrrr, need for speed? Sport flying? Scale war bird bias?

If you can express your goals then the members of the forum can toss you in a direction to help you meet them.

I like to build. Frustrating because I'm a perfectionist (not a good character trait for a newbie builder like me). I have hooked up with SIG because their kits are good quality and their customer support is 2nd to none. You looking for a low-wing trainer that can do most of the patterns? A 4Star fills the bill - 40 size, 60 size or bigger - great 1st build? A Somethin Extra is a 46 size kit that will put a grin on your face as you roll from one side of the field to the other. Check out their website: www.sigmfg.com.

Check out the various build threads. MinnFlyer and RCKen have teamed up to provide a website that is a great introduction to RC stuff and building. Check RCKen's play it forward SIG LT-40 build.

Hth,
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 AM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

My favorite would be the Bridi line, especially the air-cruiser of which i've built two of.
Here is the link.
http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/aircruiser60.html
and a coupla pictures of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12067.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1142751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99850.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1142752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25514.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1142753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56482.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1142754  
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 AM
Korben

As far as crafts, i like the ones that look "real" airplanes. I got a hobbyzone super cub RTF to train on because that was what my local hobbyshop suggested. I checked out the somethin extra, and I like what I see, but it is listed as an intermediate - advanced level. Engines?? I have no idea. I would like a couple of electric park fliers for when I can't make it to the field. gas or glow???? Whats the difference?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One problem with ARFs is that when you decide that you'd like to start building, your flying skills exceed your building skills. Since you are just starting out, it's not too late for you to build a trainer.

Most trainer kits have good instructions, leading you through each construction step, with pictures. Trainers not only teach you how to fly, but how to build.

Sig kits are among the best. Their LT-40 would be a great place to start learning the basics of construction. As your building and flying skills improve, they have a fine line of sport and scale kits that should satisfy your needs.

For a beginner, glow powered aircraft is a good starting point. Glow fuel consists of alcohol, nitro, and oil.

Most gas powered aircraft are larger, more complicated, and heavier. You know what gas is. Think chainsaw motors, when thinking of gas motors. It's a rough analogy, but you get the point.

You say that you like "real" looking models. I'm with you on that, but don't get hung up on scale flight at this early point in your flying career. Scale models are more complex in their construction, and because of this, they generally have a higher wing loading than sport models. Builld a few sport planes, before diving in to a scale subject.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like Great Planes. I have had a lot of luck with their kits. However, Balsa USA makes some nice stuff. But the real thing to ask is what do you like? Like you said you're over whelmed with all the kits out there, well pick one you like and ask about it! Also, if it is going to be your first time building, try something easy...Telemaster, 4*, Easy sport, Slow Poke...etc. Good luck on your adventure and keep us posted!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Because your just learning to fly, all the planes you really love and want to build are a bit out of your flying skill level. Ken has a great list of trainers and second planes for you to think about over in the beginners forum {I think?} then you can do a search and see what trainer you may want to build first. I am more of a builder then a pilot but I had to learn to fly so my wife wouldn't get on me about all the planes I have. When you mention BIPES you have to know what type you want, stunt, WW1 warbirds, between the war warbirds, Golden age Bipes. There are a lot to choose from. In scale planes the choices can get overwelming. I like stunt planes like the Extras and Sukhois but also lean towards the old Pattern type of planes from the 60s and 70s. Lot of choices but build a trainer first.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are interested in learning to build and just learning to fly, check out RCKen's LT40 build thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm If you follow this, you will have a well built trainer to learn on. Also, chek out the sticky posts at the top of the beginners forum.

For an intermediate flyer and a good first build, the Sig Four Star 40 is a good choice.

The next step up in kits, and a step into scale models would be something along the lines of the Top Flite Gold Edition kits.

Scott