Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Guillows kit question??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Guillows kit question??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 PM
GIusedtoBe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillows kit question??

I saw a thread on cutting out Guillows die cut pieces and it just so happens I'm building a kit I've had for about 30 years. It's the Sopwith Camel 28" Wing span. Has anyone ever converted one this size to an electric powered park flyer? If so, how did it work out for you? What mods did you have to make?

Just trying to figure out whether this is worth the headache and hassle to convert to RC

Thanks,
Alan
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM
ChopperMike

Default RE: Guillows kit question??

Check out E-Zone. I remember a while back seeing info on there about converting rubber powered FF to RC. I've often thought about doing this as there are many nice FF kits and plans out there.

Mike
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Dsegal

The suggestion on searching the E-Zone forums is good advice. But from what I have read the Guillows kits are not really intended to fly. The experts who have successfully converted the kits to RC literally throw away all of the balsa wood because it is usually too heavy, recut the parts from light balsa and just use the plans and plastic molded parts. I think that for all the work you will be doing you could find a kit more suited to actual flight. Take a look at the high quality Herr and Dumas kits, for example.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
mclina

I would tend to agree with Dsegal that it would not be worth the hassle. BUT it depends a lot on why you are considering it.

If you're thinking is: "I am building this plane, what would be the additional effort involved in converting it to RC?" then it's not worth the effort.

If you really like the Sopwith Camel and would like an electric RC version of it, this wouldn't be the easiest way to go about it.

If you just like a challenge, and have decided that you want to convert this plane to RC, and you find the time spent doing so to be enjoyable, then go for it. Most people will think you are crazy, you will spend way more time and money than the finished result would justify, but if it gives you personal satisfaction then it is worth it.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
jsv1204

One of my boys is putting the finishing touches on Guillows P-51 model (Dad beams!). I'll tell you I would never attempt to tack an electric anything onto that model. It just wouldn't take it. Then again, the basic geometry is there on the plans and -could- become a kind of scratch project. If you wanted to see what kind of structure would work, look up the plans for a P-40 Warhawk by Gordon Whitehead published in RCM (Radio Control Modeler magazine) a (lot of) few years ago.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
GIusedtoBe

Thanks much for all the replies. You all kind of confirmed my thoughts on the feasibility of converting this. I used to build these things when I was younger but they were all static display and i never attempted to fly by control line or free flight.

BTW I just bought an Electrifly J-3 Cub w/ 58" wingspan and the difference in the kit quality is night and day.

Which other RC kit manufacturers do you experienced guys recommend as far as quality, price etc. ? From what I've read, Top Flite is obviously very good, how about House of Balsa? Somebody mentioned Dumas but to me the pics on most websites seem very guillows like.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mclina

I would tend to agree with Dsegal that it would not be worth the hassle. BUT it depends a lot on why you are considering it.

If you're thinking is: "I am building this plane, what would be the additional effort involved in converting it to RC?" then it's not worth the effort.

If you really like the Sopwith Camel and would like an electric RC version of it, this wouldn't be the easiest way to go about it.

If you just like a challenge, and have decided that you want to convert this plane to RC, and you find the time spent doing so to be enjoyable, then go for it. Most people will think you are crazy, you will spend way more time and money than the finished result would justify, but if it gives you personal satisfaction then it is worth it.

I must agree here.

Yes many of the Gillow's kits haver been converted to R/C with success. But those who were successful already jnew what they were doing. Had experience beyond most bewcomers.

I must say though that the models were intended to fly and many gaurantee that if you follow the instructions exactly that it will fly...
However, most don't fly well. particularly the scale models when built with no modifications.

The wood tends to be very heavy. Often it is warped. This is more true for an older kit that has been sitting for a while.
When converting to R/C, one must do some engineering in advance to plan for the movable control surfaces and radio installation and of course access to these things once covered.
Guillow's does not offer any provisions for access hatches, servo mounting, pushroud routing and only lines marked for the scale outline of control surfaces.

Other brand kits are better suited for conversion in my opinion but still need planning before you build.

One of the best of the smaller kits that has seen quite a bit of R/C success is the 25" span Fairchild 24.

Robert
Old 03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
mclina

ORIGINAL: GIusedtoBe

Thanks much for all the replies. You all kind of confirmed my thoughts on the feasibility of converting this. I used to build these things when I was younger but they were all static display and i never attempted to fly by control line or free flight.

BTW I just bought an Electrifly J-3 Cub w/ 58" wingspan and the difference in the kit quality is night and day.

Which other RC kit manufacturers do you experienced guys recommend as far as quality, price etc. ? From what I've read, Top Flite is obviously very good, how about House of Balsa? Somebody mentioned Dumas but to me the pics on most websites seem very guillows like.

Thanks,
Alan
Sig kits are great, and have great instructions. Same with Great Planes. I just finished up a Herr 1/2A Texan kit and it was a really easy build. I built it as an electric park flyer. I have wanted to try a small House of Balsa kit, but I haven't gotten one yet. That's probably my next build.

Good luck
Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember building these kits when I has 8 yrs old.

Never got one to fly either, even when I wound the rubber band as tight as I could get it and threw it off the top of my house.

Now I did use the Kits and convert to control line models using a Cox .049, back in the 60's. They flew quite well (not the bi-planes) with a .049 but really needed to beef up the landing gear.

You can fly anything with a big enough engine

Larry