Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Cub Rudder control ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Cub Rudder control ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
DAKOTANOVASS
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Cub Rudder control ?

I bought a Goldberg Cub that did not have the control rods in it. So I made some like the instructions say and went to install them and cannot get both to fit in the fuselage. I would have like to use some golden rod, but will not be able to support the rod in fuselage. Is anyone using a pull-pull system on one of these planes by chance.

Terrell
Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Cub Rudder control ?

Try making the pushrods from 5/16" Dowels instead of square stock
Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
DAKOTANOVASS
My Feedback: (17)

Dowels seem to have more deflection than square stock. Or would dowels be good enough for a cub.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used dowels many times - no problem
Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
4dogspete

I'm a bit late in posting a reply, but I frequently use the pull=pull system for the rudder. On my previous Goldberg J3 Cub, Iused the yellow rods and they worked just fine. Just do get most of the slop out of them so they pull nicely. You will not need any sort of internal support.
Good Luck and do let us know how it all works out.
Pete
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am finishing a GB Cub and made chages to have a J-2 in lieu of a J-3. I have pull-pull set up which is adjustable at the bellcrank. A servo has a small pushrod to the bellcrank (all mounted under the seats. I have a functioning 'door' and detailed interior). One cable goes from one rudder horn to guide on bellcrank, past a 'lock down' or anti-slip screw with washer that compresses cable to bellcrank, then to other bellcrank guide and cable terminates at other rudder horn. Can send a pic if ya want one. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have built a couple of them and used pull/pull for the rudder and a push/pull for the elevator halves. I use carbon fiber arrow shafts for the rod without support depending on the length of the rod. Very strong and very cheap. I buy arrows one at a time from my local sporting goods store.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM
4dogspete

Why can't I ever remeber that - using arrow shafts.
Gotta stick that somewhere so I can remember it!
Grand idea.....
Old 07-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to use the heck out of them some years ago. I was lucky because I lived in the country and hunting wasn't an evil thing and I had two hunting partners that hunted with bows. I had standing orders that all arrows that were damaged in any way was saved and came my way. I had a heck of a supply. One used an over draw bow and I had the small thin size and the other used a standard bow so I had the longer thicker arrows, that was great. If you have a shooting range for archers in your area they usually have a broken arrow bin and you can get all of them you need for free. I now have to buy them myself and one or two at a time. Still very cheap but I liked the free ones a lot better. Light weight and no flexing and I haven't had one take a warp yet.