Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Royal Staggerwing Tips?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal Staggerwing Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
KingCobra
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Staggerwing Tips?

I recently acquired a Royal Staggerwing kit from a club buddy. The fuse has been partially framed up, but otherwise it is still a box of wood. Has anybody out there built this kit and would be willing to share any tips, hints, etc... on things to watch while building to ensuring it comes out a properly flying example? I did a Google search and only found one item in RC Groups (I think it was). Poster had a picture of his and stated it was a bear to plank, it was tail heavy and it crashed on the maiden flight. Thanks. CC
Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
mikegordon10

Default RE: Royal Staggerwing Tips?

From the sounds of that I guess I'm glad I sold mine in the bones. That was about 10 years ago and I have no clue if the buyer ever got it up and flying. As I recall the only problem I found was in it's instructions, or should I say lack thereof. Definitely not a Great Planes or Top Flite Kit type of instructions. If you've built a kit er two you'll be able to figure it out. If you go in knowing it could turn out tail heavy then build it with that in mind.
I even have a complete set of pictures of the full scale from one of the commercial scale vendors. Bob Banka I think. I might be interested in selling the photo pack if your interested AND if I can find it.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
NapaFloyd
My Feedback: (1)

I also acquired a Stagger wing partially built... I am trying to find out who made the kit... It has a 57" top wing.... thought it might be a Royal Kit... It has a beutiful alluminum cowl... Looks like a set up for a 60 or 90 engine...

Any ideas...????

Floyd
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 PM
mikegordon10

Sounds like the Royal kit to me.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 PM
tod0001

'It has a beutiful alluminum cowl.'
'Sounds like the Royal kit to me.'
Yep, I'll betcha that's a royal kit.
My father had one 18-20 yrs ago, the main thing that I remember from the kit is the very pretty cowl, also the thin airfoil.
Heck of a lay out of lumber also, very advanced kit....
I'm sure it will be a work of art..............