Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dreamer??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dreamer??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Hurricane90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreamer??

I just got an old kit from a friend. It is teh "Dreamer" made by Gee Bee products. He has had it for years and never built it so when I got into the hobby, he let me have it. I cna't find any information on it or the manufacturer on the internet. Any of you guys know anything aobut this kit?
I just built my first kit so I have a little experience building but not a lot. This Dreamer will be quite a challange since I have to cut a lot of the pieces out and the instructions are only three pages and no pictures. There are two rolled up drawings to help out but it is quite different from my 4 Star 40 that I just built.
I would appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, or questions.
The label on the box says it take .40 to .46 for power so that will tell you what size it is.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:31 AM
susquach
My Feedback: (1)

Default Dreamer??

Hurricane,

recently finished a Dreamer and have a few flights on it. Suoer flying little plane. Put a .46 in mine and it a super package. The only modifications were : Didn't use dihedral on the lower wing, and am happy with that arrangement. Left the "cowl" off. Just personal preferrence, like bipes with the engine hanging out in the breeze. Used two mini-servos to drive the ailerons. Believe them to be Tower brand. The arrangement offers more aileron response than is needed to do a VERY brisk roll. Those are the only changes made to the original plan.
The plane balanced a bit tail heavy, but was corrected by using an MDS engine. Made in Russia= weight. The plane was covered with MonoKote. Sorry, can't remember the weight...I think somewhere around 4lbs.
I'm sure you'll like the way it flies. Feels like a much bigger plane than it is, and has all the attributes and quirks that any bipe has. Definitly a watch-pocket bipe that's worth building.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Dsegal

Default Dreamer??

See the thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...light=dreamer/

Dave Segall
Old 06-14-2003, 12:31 PM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dreamer??

The fellow who designed and manufactured this plane was named Don Foster and lived in Massachusetts. He also manufactured blow moded floats, a couple of kits that used the float as part of the fuse and a Tiger Moth. He ran the Brimfield Float Fly for many years - Brimfield is in mid-western Massachusetts and near Sturbridge - a well known historical tourist attraction. The Dreamer was published in Flying Models as I remember.

Paul
Old 06-14-2003, 04:32 PM
susquach

Default Dreamer??

rcpaul,

thanks for the info. Always interesting to know who designs these planes. Do you know any more about the Tiger Moth?
Old 06-14-2003, 09:58 PM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dreamer??

I have not seen a Tiger Moth by Gee Bee for some time - (> 12 years). The last one was built by Gil Greenberg who manufactures the line of engine test stands under the name American Hobby Products - his was very nice and flew well.

Paul
Old 06-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Hurricane90

Default Dreamer??

Thanks for the info, guys. I am really looking forward to building this one. I think it is going to take me a while since it is only my second build, but it should be fun. I will try to post my progress with it and some pictures once I figure out how to do that without them being too big to post.
Keep me posted on any and all advise and odd flight characteristics.

Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:19 PM
susquach

Default Dreamer??

HURRICANE,

good luck with your project! The only bit of advise I have to offer is , be sure to follow instructions regarding establishing a top and bottom of the wing. I used a little different color scheme on the top vs. the bottom. All this because of the washout you'll be building into the wing. As someone has already said, it doesn't get much easier.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Hurricane90

Default Dreamer??

ddubya,

Thanks for the advise. They sure do leave a lot to be desired in regards to the instuctions. There are only three small pages worth and no illustrations. That is why I came to you guys to help me out.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:02 PM
susquach

Default Dreamer??

Hurrican,

hang in there, like I said, it's a great flying little plane, and worth the effort. By-the-way, I just remembered one more small thing: the wheel pants are made of a kind of plastic. It's best not to sand them with anything courser than , say 360 grit, otherwise you may spend a good deal of time trying to fill sanding scratches. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Hurricane90

Default Dreamer??

Thanks again. Yeah, the wheel pants do seem to by a soft plastic. I will keep the grit as small as I can.