Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Aircraft Spray Paint??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tamiya Aircraft Spray Paint??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
SteveR3750
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Aircraft Spray Paint??

Does anyone have any experience with this paint? I am trying to get ideas to finish my TF P-40 warhawk. I plan on trying to follow the procedures outlined in the instruction manual for painting over the monokote but wanted to see what others were doing. I have read that ultracote is easier to use than the monokote so this being my first time trying to cover a plane I am leaning towards using the ultracote clear instead of the monokote. Would this Tamiya paint be a good choice to use to spray over the ultracote? If so, what type of clear would I use to fuel proof for 15% glow?

Any tips on how to prepare the balsa sheeting before trying to apply the clear ultracote?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Aircraft Spray Paint??

I have used Model masters paints in the same application except to paint over monokote could be a problem. The issue there is the fact that monokote will expand and contract and bubble as the weather changes. I dont know if there is enuff elasticity in the panit. I use lustrekote clear to fuel proof the paint. Mist it on 1st just to ensure there is no reaction. Thats the best I can do. Good luck and let us know.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Aircraft Spray Paint??

Tamiya make different types of spray paint with different characteristics for unique applications. Do you have any paint numbers? For example TS-13 is a lacquer clear.