Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CG Super Chipmunk sheeting issue.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CG Super Chipmunk sheeting issue.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 AM
shleprock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Super Chipmunk sheeting issue.

I am ready to put on the leading edge sheeting on the first wing panel. My problem is, the sheeting that is the correct width is too short. The sheeting that is long enough is too narrow. Do you glue the wider pieces together in order to get it long enough? Am I missing something? This is my first build.[&:] The instructions are a bit vague in this area. Also, What are you using for power for this plane? I am considering either OS 75ax or a Magnum 91 four stroke. I do love my Saito 100 on my 4*60. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: CG Super Chipmunk sheeting issue.

I don't remember the sheeting issue with my Chipmunk. But I can tell you I have an OS Max 61 and the power is good. Not great, but very good. One guy at the field actually has a 120 on his. Funny thing though, both planes fly nearly the same.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like something is wrong all right. You didn't accidentally use an incorrect piece of sheeting somewhere else, did you?

If it were me, I'd just go to the LHS and buy 4 sheets of whatever size is needed.

I had an OS 90 (Pre-surpass) in mine and it was great. Either of those engines will work well, but I think the Chippy really deserves a 4-stroke!

PS, you're gonna LOVE that plane!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Sharpeye22

use the ones that are long enough to cover right or left side. Joint them in the middle of the wing. Then use however many you need to cover the wing from leading edge to trailing edge.

I am planning to build this one soon. Just ordered it from Tower. I plan to do a few mods specificly fully sheet it and then glass it for paint. The purpose is to practice glassing and to have one to practice landing for my upcoming warbird builds. (higher wing load) I will be taking wood out where I can to compensate for the added wood for the glassing.

Question:
Has anyone put two servos in for the alerons instead of the bellcranks? If so how did it workout?
If anyone put in the flaps how did they workout?

Thanks,
Sharpeye
Old 03-30-2009, 11:39 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The flaps work great on it. I use mine whenever I fly the plane. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-30-2009, 12:34 PM
shleprock

I may have used the wrong sheeting on the tail pieces.[] Oh well. I have an excuse to visit the LHS now!! I can look at some engines while I'm there. I just might take the Saito 100 out of the 4* and put it in the Chippy then get a Magnum 91 four stroke for the 4*. I'm going to use two aileron servos instead of the bellcrank setup. I'll just copy the servo tray design off the 4*. I am looking forward to this season since I got the basics down last summer (barely). Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM
MinnFlyer

Yes, the only things I would change about the Chippy is the aileron bellcranks and the plastic wingtips. The wingtips aren't too bad, but the bellcranks gotta go.

Another slight mod is the cowl. My dad did this on his, so I did it on mine and it's great! The cowl comes in two halves that get glued together. Instead of gluing them, glue a few tabs of scrap ABS to one side so you can screw the other side to it. One of the screws can even screw right into the side of the top engine mount.

By doing this, you can remove one side of the cowl for any engine adjustments. Without this mod, you need to take off the spinner and prop to get the cowl off.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

PS, you're gonna LOVE that plane!

So, I take it you'd recommend this plane??? I've been eyeballing it.. Been thinkin'...

So.. should I fly this before.. or after.. the US60...

'course you'd probably want to shoot me for even suggesting electric power...
Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
MinnFlyer

Yes, this is another of those planes that every one should have at least once in their flying career.

It's a different animal from an Ultra Sport. Apples and Oranges
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
outdoorhunting

Do the servo tray thing. It just plain looks good. I built one last year. It was a fairly easy build. I put a ST 75 in for power. I fully sheeted the wings ( for strength). My maiden flight, I had a dead stick due to bad carb adjustment on the ST. It hit pretty hard with no damage to speak of. The only thing, with the extra weight, it doesn't manuver quite as quickly as it should. Trade-off, weight for strength. The plane flies like a dream, no bad habits that I've found yet. However, I definitley won't fully sheet the wings on the next "Chippy"
Old 03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sharpeye22,

I have a GC Super Chippy that is about seven or eight years old, and it gets flowen at nearly every session. I built it with servos (JR Slimline to fit in the thin wing) in each wing for the ailerons and with an Italian ST75 for power, that's how old the model is. I moved the rudder and elevator servos to the rear so as to balance without adding lead.

I didn't build it with flaps and don't regret it. I wish I had replaced the cowl with a fiberglass one as it has been repaired so many times it has more glass than ABS.

As Mike said you will LOVE this model

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Sharpeye22

Thanks Colin,
I am looking forward to the build. Tower says it is on the way. With all the kit makers reducing their kit lines and /or moving to ARFs I figured I better pick up the kits I wish to build. My collections is growing, LOL I have gathered most everything I will need for it except the engine. All I fly is 4 strokes so it is a wait and see for the decision of which saito to put into it.
Outdoorhunting,
Thanks for the insite about the fully sheeted wingsand the engine you used. I will lighten the basic framework as much as I can to compensate some for the sheeting, but I know it will still be heavyer than most would come out. Evenso, as I said I am mostly building it to practice my landings in prep for flying warbirds. It is good to know it still flys well with the sheeted wings.
Larry