Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

WHAT IS THE BEST ENGINE FOR AN ULTRASPORT 1000????

Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

WHAT IS THE BEST ENGINE FOR AN ULTRASPORT 1000????

Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
airbusdrvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default WHAT IS THE BEST ENGINE FOR AN ULTRASPORT 1000????

My next project may be an Great Planes Ultra Sport 1000 NIB kit I bought recently. I am planning retracts(tail dragger) and see the engine size recommended is 1.20 to 1.60 four-stroke. With glow fuel prices being what they are, I'm curious if anyone has built the US1000 with a gas motor? I know there would/could be weight and size considerations if a gas motor were used. If you have built the Great Planes UltraSport 1000 with a gas engine, could you share your experiences/ideas? I have a Saito 125 four-stroke engine but I hate to install an engine at the bottom of the recommended range. Also, I could buy something like the OS 200, but then I'm into the gas engine price range and fuel costs would be a lot higher using a glow engine this size. IDEAS?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: WHAT IS THE BEST ENGINE FOR AN ULTRASPORT 1000????

I don't know which is best, but I CAN tell you that I have considered the same question and if I were going to do a US 1000, I would definitely go with a gasser. A 4-stroke just wouldn't cut it IMHO, and a 2-stroke that size will eat you alive in fuel.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go to Troy built models, they now sell the RCS gas motors that are no bigger than your 120 If you didn't see the spark plug you would think it was a two stroke.good luck

Jacque Waco Brotherhood #27
Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
qldviking

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you'd be looking for a 26cc gasser
Old 04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Crash Campbell

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

I'm almost at the covering stage with my US 1000. Given power to weight ratio and the shape/dimensions of the fuselage, did I mention power? I looked at all the engine options and decided to build mine as a tail dragger around a OS160, (large shoe horn) swinging a three blade prop to give the ground clearance with Robart retracts and Robostruts. I know it will be thirsty but I mix my own fuel so the cost isn't a huge consideration except for the nitro which I run @ 10%.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-28-2009, 03:53 PM
airbusdrvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not quite to the fuel mixing stage. So available glow fuel at $17 plus per gallon in what I have to deal with. The RCS 26 motors from Troy Bilt are not available(soon, is the word). I hate to be a test pilot for some brand I have not heard of. Doesn't mean RCS would not be good, just not very many users of the engine now.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an old YS 1.20AC (the air chamber) on mine and it is absolutely perfect! Unlimited vertical and sounds GREAT. I do have access to "fairly cheap" glow fuel however....a few local guys/clubs buy drums from S&W out our way. That gets us in the 8-10 $ a gallon range for 10-15% nitro.
Steve
Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will be putting a Saito 1.80 in mine as soon as I get moved. I have 2 kits in the rafters & want one with a 4 stroke, & the other will be gas, but thats far in the future for me. I just built my last plane in this house, (ultra-sport 60) & have got to start packing things up. Bill
Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 PM
alpinestar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to see this thread... I have two US1000 kits and a Saito 150 laying around.  Is the 150 enough, or should I sell it & go for a 180?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 PM
airbusdrvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thought I would update this old thread. I built the US1000 and installed an OS FT-160 twin four-stroke engine. She has an on-board glow system that I designed and flies very well. She was maidened Tuesday(actually two flights) and four more flights today. A very good and easy flier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20125.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1291009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62070.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1291010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48156.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1291011  
Old 10-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Airbusdriver, I had to comment when I saw the main gear on your US. I have seen so many fixed gear arrangements on the US line that are just so lame, and I know the builder worked hard, but they simply don't look good. Your ship looks fantastic with the swept back arrangement. For mine I have always gone the trike retract route since I never(until now) could find a fixed strut that looked halfway decent. You really did it man, he looks great.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:33 PM
airbusdrvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Roary M, I have several retract gear airplanes and the US1000 would be a super plane for retracts. I just wanted to keep it simple. Several months ago at a swap meet an US1000 was sold with similar gear and that is where I got the idea for my US1000 build. At my field one day, I saw a Great Planes Ultimate Bipe and the gear looked like it would be just what I was looking for. I bought a set of landing gear and wheel pants from GP for the Ultimate Bipe. Since then, I have seen the same gear on another GP plane at my field. The only real challenge is getting them lined up and the fuse mount holes drilled. I used a 36" piece of 1/4" threaded rod thru the axle holes(held with washers and nuts) so that when the gear was held against the fuse bottom the gear legs were straight. It must have worked as the plane tracks straight down the runway with no left/right or unstable yawing. Here is a pic of the plane getting ready for her maiden flight last Tuesday.

Name:	Vs55926.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1292093  
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There was a guy around here several years ago that built a US 1000 and flew it with an OS BGX-1. He wanted to be sure it had enough power. It did.

Terry in LP
Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wonder if the DLE 30 would be a match for the US1000? It swings an 18" prop.

Greg
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any gasoline engine would likely be much too heavy for the model. The Ultra Sport 1000 was intended to be powered with a .90-1.50-size two-stroke glow engine or a 1.20-1.60 four-stroke glow engine. We thought it flew exceptionally-well on the FS-120 SP engine. Today, the FS-200 Surpass would likely be a goodie. It's about the same weight (35 ounces) as the FS-120 SP.

A gasoline engine will add about a pound over the weight of the glow engine, let alone the mounting difficulties, prop clearance, and the shaping of the airplane's nose. However, modelers will do as they want, regardless of how the model was designed.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have the US but I do have an old 120 size Kaos with the RCS 1.40 gasser. Any weight difference is almost nothing. What my problem is with this engine is the mounting due to the rear induction carb and the throttle linkage set up. The engine pulls much better then my 1.20FS and fuel cost is next to nothing. With some of the new gassers coming in from China the weight is no longer as big factor as it once was and the prices are much better then any of the new four strokes. The side induction on narrow planes may be a problem though? They are worth looking into.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The DLE 30 engine with exhaust pipe and ignition is 39 oz. This is why I was wondering if it is feasible to use. The only bad thing would be prop clearance problems. I have a US 1000 kit, I guess I could get it out and check the plans.

Greg
Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just finished setting up this old pattern plane, it has the OS 1.20 pumper installed. With a 15 inch prop ground clearence is real close, so close I didn't bother measuring. I will fly it and see how well I can land it without prop strikes. If I fail more then once then I will be going to a three blade just for that extra inch. I have the LG locked down so I could add some bigger wheels but after I have flown it a bit I will be using the retracks so I didn't want to do anything different yet. I have been flying with friends using the CRRC engines and so far they have been a great choice, no problems at all yet and they have been using them for over a year now.

Name:	Fd90786.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1293398  
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would rock a YS 1.70 in it....
Old 10-12-2009, 05:36 PM
twn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

spe26.

2 lbs 8 oz (40oz) will all the mounting hardware and ignition. This engine with a 16-8 or 16-10 zoar would pull it like a rocket.

The melody ignition is garbage and I would switch it to an rcexl as the melody needs in excess of 8volts to operate properly. ask me how I know!! I ran an spe43 for a while with the very same ignition. Good engine though!

Name:	Qo40272.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1293555  
Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

I would rock a YS 1.70 in it....
That's just what I said!!!!!!!!!!!! The OS was the only engine I had that would fit it though. My YS engines are in use and the biggest one I have right now is the 1.20NC.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Crash Campbell

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,

I now have over thirty flights on my US 1000 and I'm more than happy with the OS 160 two stroke as there is ample power such that cuban eights and double immelmans are flown at slightly less than half throttle so economy isn't too bad. Yes I'm learning the "Sportsman Pattern Schedule". Turn up the wick and unlimited verticle is the go!!!!

To anyone thinking of going this route with Robart retracts I had to go to a three blade prop to obtain adequate ground clearance. This may be an advantage as it doesn't gain as much speed on the down lines as it did with the two blade prop.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM
skidd1000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too have 30 plus flights on my us 1000. I run a super tigre 2500 with a 16/10 apc. A guy had radar gun at the field one night and clocked mine at 104 mph straight at us.I run the tail dragger set up with century jet air retracts, 2.25 inch tires. 14 oz tank of 5% give me about 15 min flights if I'm not on the go stick all the time.Love this plane.

Name:	Us55340.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	1315504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26710.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	1315505  
Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 AM
Srewinkel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know this thread is 2 a month old, but thought I would say i have a YS 120 in mine, pulls it good, clocked at over 115 MPH, think the 140 would be a better motor, but money money money is a factor.. 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ABDs plane looks really good with the two cylinders sticking out the side, very nice job. This week I finally got to fool around with one of the DLE engines, the 55. Fool around is a very loose term, it ran perfect right out of the box. I was really impressed with the performance of the engine. Some of the guys I fly with are buying the 30 so I may get to play with one of them soon. Maybe not if they are as good as this 55 is. I noticed the post by TWN about the SPE and the need for a new ignition after you buy the engine??I have seen several engines that required different/better ignitions, the Zenoah G-20 was one of them often mentioned and a number of the engines coming over from China. When you tack on another $100.00 + bucks for a new ignition it sort of takes away the savings or deal of the cheap engine idea???? Just wondering why anyone would bother?? It's worth reading the gas engine forum to see what is going on before you put down any money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service