Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Need thoughts on next build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Need thoughts on next build

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:27 PM
tapeandglue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need thoughts on next build

Hey all...

I have built the following:

Das Stick, 4-star forty, slow poke.. and am starting a short kit could dancer 60. While I am sure the Cloud Dancer will complete my building for winter 2015 as a RC Airplane guy that enjoys building as much or more than flying I am reaching out to ask a experienced builder, what would be a good next kit or short kit ?

I am a intermediate flyer and while not concerned with the immediate fly ability of a build, would like a plane that would somewhat fit.

Thanks....would really appreciate any thoughts either kit or short kit...Looking at the Tarvin Model Products Kinner Sportser 1/6. plan to have cut.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:45 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sig 1/4 scale Spacewalker ?
Old 01-17-2016, 02:13 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to bring it to the next level,I think your headed in the right direction.Tarvin is a great guy,I built his Monocoupe 110 spc. 1/3 scale.Hostetler has some great scale planes too.I'm assuming you want to get into gas engines,you can pick up a good used G38 for less than 200 bucks,if you hunt around on ebay.You will find that scratch building will require some imagination because most plans are not perfect.jeffo
Old 01-18-2016, 08:21 AM
RagwingFan
My Feedback: (31)

not new or fancy idea but I think a great next step would be your Sig 1/4 Cubs, Space Walker 1/4 or 1/3 or possible Morrisey Bravo. These are stick type built great flyers but everything is laid out and comes with hardware etc. Some parts even require to be cut out from printed sheets. Or for old school, any old Nosen 1/4 scale kits. Large lumberyard box, no real hardware except gear, definite stick construction that makes a large great flyer. ACE made a great 1/4 scale clipped wing Taylorcraft that can be still had out on open market.

Then as mentioned, plans and scratch building with possible kit cutter involved. I have done it all. Love to build as well. A plan/scratch build can become over whelming as mentioned, there will be some hiccups along the way to work through. The old complete stick kits have already figured out the hiccups.

my two bits
Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM
bikerbc

I have built the BUSA 1/4 Scale Cub ,and the Sig 1/4 Scale Cub ,the BUSA 1/3 Scale Cub . The 1/4 scale are much easier to transport and the Sig Cub is the easiest to set up at the field . I like the BUSA 1/4 scale Cub best for looks and the BUSA 1/3 Scale Super Cub on floats best for weekend events where you can leave it set up all weekend long . I think a Cub would be a great choice for a next build .
Old 01-18-2016, 01:58 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you should do a scale plane. 40, 60, 90, 120 it is up to you. Extra's are great flyers and lookers.
Maybe a warbird.

I always say "get what you like".
Old 01-19-2016, 03:50 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Ragwing.

Nigel is a nice guy, and sellsl some great designs. In my opinion, they require a little more building experience than the OP possesses.

The Sig 1/4 Cubs and the two Spacewalkers will help bridge that gap. The step by step, photo illustrated instructions make the build painless.

I would keep the Kinner Sportster in mind, but build it after some more experience is gained.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 AM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like building models of real planes. Although never very scale, the Top Flite kits walk you through every step and come with everything needed to build the plane. I'd suggest the TF P-47 60 size.

Incidently, I'd also keep the TF kits light as possible and not add "extra" features. No matter what you do they'll never be scale, for scale you need to upgrade into Mick Reeves or something - big $$$...
Old 01-31-2016, 04:14 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

While I like the idea of you building something scale... from what I see you are building and flying you might like a ULTRA SPORT.... They fly great, I think a bit cleaner than your current planes. I never liked the size or shape of an Ultra Sport canopy however, you could make it like an open cockpit plane however ...it wouldn't change much in the performance area. I built one years ago for a friend, I made a tiny streamlined cockpit back by the rudder. It was VERY sleek looking and flew great.

Last edited by foodstick; 01-31-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:40 PM
tapeandglue

Thanks for the info...also self taught on sig trainer.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:29 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I will never forget coming home from the school yard.. my SIG trainer still in ONE PIECE for the first time.

I literally went STRAIGHT to the hobby store and bought another airplane kit

Because I didn't have repairs to make on mine. I was so used to, and in love with building I couldn't stand to see my work bench empty..