Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Question on the F4U Corsair-stabilizer,rudder ??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Question on the F4U Corsair-stabilizer,rudder ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on the F4U Corsair-stabilizer,rudder ??

I'm in the process of building the F4U Corsair by top flite gold edition .60 size.This build is being posted here on another thread but wanted to ask this question here.Does anyone know why the elevator and rudder was built in the shape it is.Was there a specific reason for the way it is constructed verses the way these are built on most airplanes.As far as aerodynamics goes this just don't make any sense to me.I must admit I'm very tempted to moddify these as I'm just getting ready to build them.Don't know yet if I will change the way they are built,but I have for sure been thinking about it.

BIGMIG
Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on the F4U Corsair-stabilizer,rudder ??

Hi

The movable part of the Rudder and elevator were covered in fabric on the full size plane, Thats what they are trying to reproduce in the kit version.

Vince
Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
BIGMIG

I thank you for that Vince,I did not know the original tail feather's on the planes where cloth covered.

But on the building print they refer to each elevator end section and on the top of the rudder section as "Balance Tabs".Was wondering on a real life corsair there must have been a reason for these.Had hoped someone who has studdied the construction of this type airplane may know why it was built like it was.Must have been a purpose behing the way it was constructed. ?????

BIGMIG
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 PM
HE-162

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

I thank you for that Vince,I did not know the original tail feather's on the planes where cloth covered.

But on the building print they refer to each elevator end section and on the top of the rudder section as "Balance Tabs".Was wondering on a real life corsair there must have been a reason for these.Had hoped someone who has studdied the construction of this type airplane may know why it was built like it was.Must have been a purpose behing the way it was constructed. ?????

BIGMIG

Most control surfaces on high performance full scale airplanes are balanced to keep them from fluttering, that is why the hinge line is further aft also. Those balance tabs had ballast in them to balance the elevator. Frost build up inside an aileron can cause flutter sometimes if it throws the control surface out of balance enough, most modelers are under the misconception that gaps between the wing - aileron or stab - elevator are the cause of flutter, this is not so. To avoid flutter keep the control surfaces as light as possible and balanced if possible. Corsair ailerons were made of wood and fabric for this reason and that is why the elevator and rudder were covered with fabric, to keep them light. To avoid the waddle that you see many model corsairs doing you should keep the outer wings and tail as light as possible, that is why the full scale corsair had fabric outer wing panels also. If you change it then you will be deviating from the scale outline, if that does not matter to you then change away.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:03 PM
BIGMIG

Thanks for that info He-162,
I figured there was a reason they were refered to as "Balance Tabs".Most aircraft has certin designs for a reason.I figured here on the forum someone would know why this was done.Got a questionMost likely you will get the answer here.

Thanks again for the reply

BIGMIG
Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 AM
rwright142

Hey BigMig, even though you received answers to your question, check out my [link=http://f4ucorsair.freeforums.org]Corsair Information Site[/link]. It's a free site dedicated to the Corsair and of course the men and women who built, maintained, flew, fought, or paid the ultimately price in the Corsair.

Also, here on RCU is a [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7335038/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build[/link] thread where we are starting with Royal plans, Vought drawings, and other views and are building highly detailed Corsairs. I know it's a lot of reading but maybe as you build you can find the answers to any other questions you may have.

Good luck with your build.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Counter balance shouldn't be anything to worry about. Make sure you don't have any free play in the rods though.