Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bi-plane ID

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bi-plane ID

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 PM
sonnytex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi-plane ID

Does anyone recognize this airplane?[sm=72_72.gif] I bought it for practically nothing. It appears to have been a kit vs. an ARF. The lower wing is not installed but laying under the plane. It appears to be large .40 size or possibly a small .60 size. Length is approximately 36" with wing span approximately 46" (top wing) and 42-43" (bottom wing). It uses 4 servos (1 aileron, 1 rudder, 1 elevator and one elevator. I would guess the flying weight to be about 7 pounds.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90590.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1195253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98783.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1195254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53427.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1195255  
Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bi-plane ID

I don't know what it is, but it's good looking plane. 7 lbs though on a 46" span is quite heavy. I've got a SuperAeromaster bipe I built from a Great Planes kit and it weighs in at 9 lbs and it is 54" span. It called for a 91 or 1.20 four stroke in it. I couldn't figure a way to shoe horn in the 1.20, so I settled for a 91 magnum four stroke. I have yet to fly it though.

Check the engine mount if it is still in and make a guess on engine from it. I doubt that a 46" span would be happy with a .40. Maybe a 70 four stroke though. A good look at the interior construction will give you a clue. From the looks of the construction, the wire landing gear setup, I'm guessing this plane is probably 70's or 80's vintage. Just a guess though.

Don
Old 05-09-2009, 08:54 PM
sonnytex

Don,

Thanks for at least looking. Apparently the plane had a 2 stroke in it at one time. It has two holes in the bottom of the cowl which indicates a pitts style muffler and it has a round opening on the right side of the cowl (not seen in the pictures) that could have been for a .60 size engine. If the hole was just cut big I guess a .40 size could have been used too. Whoever built the plane (the person I got it from didn't know who built it) did a really great job. The monokote covering is almost perfect despite it's age (whatever that is). Hopefully someone will say "I had one of those once" and fill me in on the details.

Sonnytex
Old 05-09-2009, 09:05 PM
icegs

That would be a Great Lakes from Modeltech. It was an almost ready to cover kit from about ten years ago. If you do a search on here, you'll find a bunch of threads about that plane. It is a 40-size.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 PM
sonnytex

Icegs,

Thank you very much. Do you know the name of all the airplanes in the world or just this one?

Sonnytex
Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ModelTech_Great_Lakes_Setup/m_95268/tm.htm]Here's a thread.[/link]
Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 PM
sonnytex

Thanks Deadeye,

I have read this thread, as directed by another member. If everything (and I mean everything) I have read is true it appears I may have an impossible flyer on my hands. But...... One must try regardless of the force not being in my favor.

Sonnytex
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 PM
icegs

I just finished one that people said didn't fly either. I had read comments like "I've never seen one make a second flight," but I gave it a shot anyways. I've probably got about 30 flights on it now. It's a handful, but far from unflyable. Give it a shot, and take it easy; it might not be so bad.

I know that one, because I was looking for one a while ago. I didn't find until I had given up and bought something else.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 PM
sonnytex

Icegs,

Well, as you know, a real modeler does not give up on a plane just because someone else said it's no good. Kinda like having someone tell you a movie is bad or a certain restaurant has bad food - you don't know until you try it yourself. I will take some of the recommended mods if I think they will help. Thanks for the interest and opinion.

Sonnytex
Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Sonnytex, I had this plane and it flew great. The critical thing is the CG, make it nose heavy. I flew mine with a Saito 56 and it was a blast. I believe I still have the instructions if you would like them

JimO
Tallahassee FL
Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
sonnytex

Hey JimO,

Thanks for the offer - that would be great. Also, thanks for a rare up beat comment about the plane. Seems like 99 out of 100 didn't like it too well. I have already started some repairs on the plane. I will also incorporate a couple of the ideas by the others such as moving the servos farther forward. I also plan on installing an OS 61 4-stroke (1980's vintage) on it. That in it's self will put more weight to the nose. Again, thanks, the paperwork would really be appreciated.

Sonnytex
Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 PM
JimO

I will scan and send you a or drop me a PM with your address and I will snail mail to you.

Jim
Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM
JimO

Three things I remember, The CG is very critical, keep power up on landing and don't horse it off the ground. Power up and she will lift off on her own quickly. I had mine for two years till I lost her to a new member switching on for range check as I was landing.