Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Royal kits.......anybody out there cutting them?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal kits.......anybody out there cutting them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal kits.......anybody out there cutting them?

Anybody know of a laser cutter out there that has set up to cut any of the old Royal kits? It seems like these were really popular, so I'm a little surprised that nobody's doing it. I assume there's some copywrite issues that's at the end of it.

Kerry

Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Royal kits.......anybody out there cutting them?

There really should not be any copyright issues since the Importer (Royal) and the manufacturer (Marutaka) are both long defunct.  But what do I know? 

Yak

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Hansenr

Only one that Ihave found is this kit cutter http://www.kitcutter.com/cut/www.kit...framepage.html and he cuts the following - P38, Beechcraft Baron 58-P, P-51, B-17, B-25, and F4U. Can't vouche for the quaility but that is the only one Iknow of.

Cheers - Hans

Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with a set of plans there not to hard to cut out with a scroll saw to do yourself, there are a few mystery parts that need to be figured out even with the formers and ribs cut for you, there are some large pieces of wood in the origonal kits that can be worked around with some thought.

the wood blocks are so thick that even a lazer cutter would have trouble cutting them fully out,they would need to be marked and finished by the modeler, if your intention was to build a authentic Royal model.

its what I did to my Royal FW190,eleminated some of the blocks and built up some of the areas, using more updated tecniques, I have a build thread in the warbirds section http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...tm.htm#5620546 alot of information on working around the wood chunks

these kits are prety simple not as complicated as say a Top Flight build,just alot of wood blocks to deal with

Old 05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the info.  I've never had a Royal kit.  They were gone before I got in the hobby.  It seems like they had a nice variety of planes.  I'm particularly interested in the Ki-61.  I've seen the plans available on ebay, and I may pick up a set.

Kerry

Old 05-21-2009, 03:04 AM
bigtim

he also sells some of the plastic parts, and fiberglass cowls for those plan sets as well, I have purchased some of his canopys, and parts and there very close to the origonal kit parts.

I was pleasantly surprised, at how good the canopys were. 

Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Are the cowlings, by chance, the aluminum guys like the originals?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 PM
R. C. Day
My Feedback: (7)

Would these Royal plans enlarge well to 70 to 75 inches for a small gas bird?

Thanks,
R. C.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 PM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

I can't get any of the kit links to work on the Kitcutters.com site. I have plans for a Royal P-68 Victor that I want to build someday. If he has short kits for a realistic price I may get one. I just sent him an e-mail.

Joe
Old 05-23-2009, 06:24 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I Built the Royal Beechcraft Baron 58-P and it still flies. It has a 72 inch span. Flying on 2 Fox 36 engines. Flies unbelievably fast. Put retracts in it but when the nose gear is down it is nose heavy. With nose gear up it sits perfectly on CG. Take off is ok but landing is a handful as almost full elevator is necessary and practically puts it into "snap" mode.
I built the Royal Skymaster and it was about 72 or more inches. Key word there is .... was.
I also have a Royal Zero with 2 canopies and 2 sets of plans. Don't know the wingspan and am not ready to dig it out of the closet.
I have a scale spinner for the smaller Royal Zero. Nothing to go with it.
As for all the wooden blocks that come with a royal kit, I use my dremel sander and a wood file.
When I get it shaped up correctly I carve the inside out to get rid of weight. Just don't get it too thin.
After hollowing out squirt some thin CA to the inside area.
I may have go too far with what this thread is looking for but it may encourage you to proceed.
LOL.................................Ron

Anything larger than a 40 is too much engine. The fox 36 fit nicely inside the cowls, which, by the way are all wood.
Canopy is plastic but can be created with wood and plastic.

You might get some ideas from this thread. If anything touches your fancy contact the poster. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38..._1/key_/tm.htm
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 PM
bigtim

no there fiberglass reproductions
ORIGINAL: Roary m

Are the cowlings, by chance, the aluminum guys like the originals?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 PM
bigtim

Joe you need to do a search on kitcutters.com here on RCU,if there the same company as the posters have been talking about beware of them thereare alotof bad reviews on that dude
ripping people off.
ORIGINAL: turbojoe

I can't get any of the kit links to work on the Kitcutters.com site. I have plans for a Royal P-68 Victor that I want to build someday. If he has short kits for a realistic price I may get one. I just sent him an e-mail.

Joe
Old 05-23-2009, 10:59 PM
turbojoe

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigtim

Joe you need to do a search on kitcutters.com here on RCU,if there the same company as the posters have been talking about beware of them thereare alotof bad reviews on that dude
ripping people off.
[quote]

Do you have any of these links? RCU has the worst search engine on the web. The new one doesn't work at all right now and the old one chokes and hangs. I got an e-mail reply from the guy but if I need to avoid him I'd like to know why.

Joe

Old 05-24-2009, 02:48 AM
bigtim

here's a couple of cutters that are very reputable, I won't get into a rant just figured I would give you a heads up,deliverys not made and poor service in general I will just leave it at that.

if you can scan the plans then either one of these guys can burn a kit for you or direct you toward a reliable cutter that will.

lazer lizard http://www.laserlizard.com/

and Bob Holman http://www.bhplans.com/index.html

Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM
turbojoe

I have someone local that can scan and CAD the plans. Also have a local laser cutter. Sounds like that may be the safest route to go for me when I decide to start the project. I just figured if this guy had the kits already in stock that would be cool. If he's not reliable then........... It turns out he doesn't have them and wants me to send him my plans. Another turn off.

Joe
Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 AM
turbojoe

The local guy that converts plans to cad is Adam Bradley at http://plans2cad.com/. He's a member of our flying club. He just put up the website so it is still under construction. He already has a fairly large library of plans but if you have something off the wall you can send them to him or have them scanned to a file and e-mail that to him. His contact info is on the website. He's a great guy and VERY skilled in CAD. Joe
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
TIREMAN302

Hey Kerry,
If your are still looking for someone to cut a set of Royal plans, I have been using A&M Models to cut mine. He does a really nice job. If he doesn't have the templates, he will need your plans to scan them. He returns the plans with the kit. If your kit requires blocks, he does not cut those( the laser will set fire to the block of balsa). He cut a Royal F8F Bearcat and a P6E Hawk, and the kits a beautiful.
Here is his web address- http://a-mmodels.com/about_us.html.
Best of luck,
Joe

Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

Hay Joe, How much did A/M charge for cutting the P-6e Hawk?
John
Old 10-14-2009, 02:50 PM
makmov
My Feedback: (1)

I have an original Royal Zero Sr in the box that Iwas looking at maybe getting laser cut.

In the day they were the Cadillac kits. Alu cowl, full cockpit detals, full color plates.

Laser Lizard did a fantastic job with my Ziroli Zero and said he'd do first run from your plans for $225.00
Old 10-14-2009, 02:51 PM
makmov

Isecond Laser Lizard.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A question for people having kits cut from old kit plans. I do a lot of building from plans I have bought from places like MAN and these plans have all the profiles of the parts needed to be cut. On none of my kit plans are any parts shown in profile, little things like ribs and formers. How can you get a kit cut with just side views?? I'm not being a BUTTTT, just wondering how a cutter can do that. I have used a cutter before but I used builders plans and not plans from a kit.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM
makmov

You need to have the templates, which come on or with most plans.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:59 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

The Royal plans are made to be used for "scratch" building. All the ribs and formers are right on the plans and most even come with a separate template page. This is a scan of the P-26 plans.

Here's the note on the planes about scratch building:

Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you guys!! I sold the last Royal kit I got ahold of to a fellow here on RCU, it was the Giant Scale F4U. I was going to build it but the cost between the LG and covering was just way out of my price range. I bought it just for the wood but when I opened it I discovered the kit had never been out of the box so I figured someone else would enjoy it more then myself. Royal made some very cool planes. I built a couple a very long time ago but couldn't remember them having the profile of the parts on the plans. Anyone have an address where people can find a copy or two??
Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
grh_70

"All the ribs and formers are right on the plans and most even come with a separate template page. "

Not so with the Royal Bird Dog kit. Only a few formers and ribs are profiled on the plans. The accompanying
"template sheet" is inacurate for blowing up for real template use and is merely a parts identifier.
If you don't have all the actual kit die cut parts you are SOL.

GeneH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.