Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP patriot - ?retracts, ?flaps

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP patriot - ?retracts, ?flaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:39 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GP patriot - ?retracts, ?flaps

Hi,

Building a great planes patriot and would like recommendations for which retracts to use. Need to know if I should go air/mechanical and how many servos if mechanical retracts.

If anyone has set this plane up with a reliable system I would appreciat your input and photos.

Anyone ever built this plane with flaps?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Dennison
Old 06-19-2003, 02:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This plane would rock with retracts. I like kraft electrics, but the are impossible to find. I don't like the air retracts, but there are a lot more of them than anything else right now, so they can't be all bad. Mechanicals work well, but you need a good reliable system and good batteries.

I don't think I would waste the time with flaps on it. Could work well, but I don't think they would be as effective. Haven't tried one with flaps.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you fly from grass, skip the retracts. The two just don't mix.

I would, however use the flaps. I added flaps to several of my planes including the original GP Ultra Sport (which is the closest thing I have to a Patriot) and they were FABULOUS! Just cut 6" of the aileron stock and control them with the aileron torque rods. Then, run Nyrod through the wing for the ailerons. To exit the Nyrods, pick 2 ribs near the center of the ailerons and sheet over them instead of using cap strips. Works like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87779_7722.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	51023