Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*60 cg

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:14 PM
maxwell 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*60 cg

Hi all newb here just finishing first kit a 4*60 . Needing to add weight to get CG correct (tail heavy) would it be ok to add weight to the bottom of the motor mount just in front of the motor and behind prop Thanx Max
Old 05-23-2009, 01:34 PM
GaryHarris

Default RE: 4*60 cg

ORIGINAL: maxwell 1

Hi all newb here just finishing first kit a 4*60 . Needing to add weight to get CG correct (tail heavy) would it be ok to add weight to the bottom of the motor mount just in front of the motor and behind prop Thanx Max
Howdy Max and welcome to RCU. I'm currently building the same plane but havent got that far yet. Alot of guys here have built the plane and may give more info than I can. Just in general, two things. Allthough the 4*60 is sorta considered a trainer, it is not. It's more like a second plane after you have mastered a high winged flat bottomed trainer like a Sig Kadet LT-40 or the like. And I would try to add the lead in the inside of the fuse right behind the firewall if possible.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Jim Clausen

Max,
You might consider buying a new motor mount and relocating the engine more forward. The lighter the better. What ever you do do not put a heavy brass prop nut on it. It puts excessive loads on on the engine bearings during quick turns.

Jim Clausen
Old 05-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim's advise is good. Your idea of weight on the front of the motor mounts is also a good idea. weight on the firewal is not as effective in balancing, so you will require more weight.

I have built and flown two of the 4*60's and both were tail heavy. The second wasn't quite as bad. I used the stock motor mounts with 5/8"sq x the height of the mount of steel and bolted the mount to the firewall using this as a spacer. This was about 6 oz of steel. On the second, I used the Dubro vibration mounts and this moved the motor even futher forward than the spacers. I still needed a couple oz more and Imade a bar of 1/8 thick lead about1" wide shapped in a U with tabs on bot h of the uppers that I drilled for the motor screws. I thread my motor mounts rather than use nuts, so I just used a longer screw on the front two and then adde a flat washer and a nut with thread lock. That and moving the battery as far forward as possible put it in good balance.

Don
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

I added try stock on the out side of the fire wall as well as the inside. At least it wasnt dead weight,  I have also added weight on the fuselage side front.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM
cagrant

Would it be possible to buy your instruction manual for the 4-60? My dog ate mine (seriously a chocolate lab at 3 mos.). If not , maybe you have a suggestion as to where I might be able to find one? Thanks!

Clint Grant