Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

paint/decal packages for specific aircraft squadrons

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

paint/decal packages for specific aircraft squadrons

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
paulfromero
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint/decal packages for specific aircraft squadrons

Hi all,

Is there a retail outlet that sells the correct paint colors and decals in the form of a kit for those who would like to paint their models like a specific military squadron? I guess it would have to be custom made anyways, since models come in all sizes, but it would be cool to have this service available to speed/simplify the finishing of a kit.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 06-14-2009, 03:24 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: paint/decal packages for specific aircraft squadrons

The correct colors can be found here:

http://www.warbirdcolors.com

If you want to paint your squadron symbols etc., the paint masks can be custom made here any size you need for whatever scale:

http://www.getstencils.com
Old 06-14-2009, 12:09 PM
paulfromero

Hi WarBird,

thanks for the excellent reply. I do want to go scale on this model, as I was at the Mt. Air Guard years ago, but I may just paint it metallic red, white and grey for the visibility and coolness factor. Later, after I build my F-4 and get some flight time on the F-16, I think it would be great to repaint it in warbird colors. My goal is "NV air guard F-4 painted in the gray camo scheme and 1 MT air guard F-16 painted in the gray camo scheme" This goal can still be accomplished if I paint the F-16 now in the high visibility colors, and it will increase surviveability of the f-16 till I get the F-4 built.

safe flying,

Paul
Old 06-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The scale plastic models offered generally have decals. There are suppliers of decal sheetswhich you are describing, but the scale is, 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 etc. You would have to search the web to find them. Not a bad beginning if you're looking for art.

With some art, especially multi-colored, some detail can be lost using "stencils." I refer to these as "masks."

Many modelers size their own markings and nose art in Photoshop or some other program.

Home printers work fine on decal printing paper, however, the ink must be protected. I have customers who use Krylon clear over the decal paper, then clear with auto paint.

Traditional vinyl graphics or markings work fine and any sign shop can make them. You can also attempt to make them yourself.

This Thread tells you how.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8462647

You can clear coat over vinyl material.

Charles

www.cfcgraphics.com

Old 06-14-2009, 08:42 PM
paulfromero

Charles,

Those are some VERY valuable tips!...I think its best for business if you dont spread too many of them around !! LOL. This is so interesting that I'm gonna print something out...either a stencil or a graphic because I do have Photoshop and an inkjet. With the price of ink these days, a well protected (i.e. kyrloned or clear coated) decal shouldn't fade too much! Maybe, however, it would be safer to print out a mask/stencil for a longer lasting alas simpler graphic.

cya in the skies,

Paul
Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Avaiojet

Paul,

There's stuff called "frog juice." Sign and graphics guys use it over anything printed. The stuff is supose to keep out some of the UV light that fades inks.

I never used it because I never bought it. But I've seen it advertised for many years.

I've been in the Sign and graphicxs business for 40 years. Modeling much longer than that.

Sign shops will give you their short rolls of transfer paper. They toss them anyway.I send my short rolls out to guys that pay shipping.

You can trace, draw or sketch, right on this transfer paper. Using a #11 blade it cuts really easy. The stuff sticks well and makes a great "mask."

Used this stuff for years to do quick airbrush pictorials on Vans.

Many of the hobby shop enamel paints found in tiny aerosol cans, will except auto paint clear coats. So much can be accomplished with these cans, offered in many colors BTW, great results can be obtained without the use of an airbrush.

Art is creative and fun. Especially on models.

What are you building and flying?

Charles
Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 AM
paulfromero

Hi and happy monday,

Charles, I am going to paint my Combat Models F-16. It s a foam model covered with midweight fiberglass and resin. It has been going together fairly well, and soon I will have to make a decision on paint. As this is my first jet (pusher prop), I of course want to increase its surviveability; some guys have 100s of flights on this plane. When I'm out flying, the reflection of the sun on the wing and thus the wing's color will instantly notify my brain that I need to give airleron input this way or that, so this will prevent unintentional ground impact. If I dont see the difference between the top and bottom of the wing, then the only way I'll know the orientation of the plane is giving elevator; I'm sure more experienced pilots fly more smoothly, and I my goal is to join them with more experience gained thru this plane.

I have a bicycle (pedal type) helmet from TREK that is metallic red, white and gray. This I think would look cool with a tinted gray canopy (and also help speed up the building process by relieving me of the 'scale' cockpit construction). This would make it very easy to see nn flight, and also provide me with a model of the f-16more or less looking like the one I saw in the poster way back in '85 in Denmark.

On the other hand, I transferred to the Mt Air Guard unit back in '90, and they have a real cool emblem on their tailfin. This would be cool to paint the f-16 this way so that it looks like one of the units I was part of and ...when I get the F-4 finished...I could paint that one up like the NV Air Guard F-4s and enjoy memories of both units I was part of in the past. However, this would require more time on 'scale' stuff and also I'd lose the visibility factor in flying.

I would like to try painting the F-16 in high vis. colors and then down the line when 1- it is still in one piece and 2-the f-4 is successfully built...then I could repaint it in military camo.

Here are some pics of some planes I saw on the internet

your right...keep it fun...and make decisions on the paint and stuff...be creative!

happy flying,

Paul
Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Avaiojet

Paul,

Do you have any photos of your model?

Is this the model you have?

http://home.comcast.net/~keblair/CBMF16N.htm

Charles
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 PM
paulfromero

Hi Charles,

I found that page a few months ago...he sure did a nice job on that airplane! My F-16 is that exact plane.

thanks,

Paul
Old 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Avaiojet

I thought that might be the same model.

Keep us posted with progress and photos.

OK?OK!

Charles