Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Lins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

Sec. 45.29

Size of marks.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (f) of this section, each operator of an aircraft shall display marks on the aircraft meeting the size requirements of this section.
(b) Height. Except as provided in paragraph (h) of this part, the nationality and registration marks must be of equal height and on
(1) Fixed-wing aircraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that:
(i) An aircraft displaying marks at least 2 inches high before November 1, 1981 and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed;
(ii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on a glider;
(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under §21.191 (d), §21.191 (g), or §21.191 (i) of this chapter to operate as an exhibition aircraft, an amateur-built aircraft, or a light-sport aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS; and
(iv) Marks may be displayed on an exhibition, antique, or other aircraft in accordance with Sec. 45.22.
(2) Airships, spherical balloons, nonspherical balloons, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft must be at least 3 inches high; and
(3) Rotorcraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that rotorcraft displaying before April 18, 1983, marks required by Sec. 45.29(b)(3) in effect on April 17, 1983, and rotorcraft manufactured on or after April 18, 1983, but before December 31, 1983, may display those marks until the
aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed.
(c) Width. Characters must be two-thirds as wide as they are high, except the number "1", which must be one-sixth as wide as it is high, and the letters "M" and "W" which may be as wide as they are high.
(d) Thickness. Characters must be formed by solid lines one-sixth as thick as the character is high.
(e) Spacing. The space between each character may not be less than one-fourth of the character width.
[(f) If either one of the surfaces authorized for displaying required marks under Sec. 45.25 is large enough for display of marks meeting the size requirements of this section and the other is not, full size marks shall be placed on the larger surface. If neither surface is large enough for full-size marks, marks as large as
practicable shall be displayed on the larger of the two surfaces. If no surface authorized to be marked by Sec. 45.27 is large enough for full-size marks, marks as large as practicable shall be placed on the largest of the authorized surfaces.
However, powered parachutes and weight-shift-control aircraft must display marks at least 3 inches high.]
(g) Uniformity. The marks required by this part for fixed-wing aircraft must have the same height, width, thickness, and spacing on both sides of the aircraft.
(h) After March 7, 1988, each operator of an aircraft penetrating an ADIZ or DEWIZ shall display on that aircraft temporary or permanent nationality and registration marks at least 12 inches high.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Lins

Sec. 45.23

Display of marks; general.

(a) Each operator of an aircraft shall display on that aircraft marks consisting of the Roman capital letter "N" (denoting United States registration) followed by the registration number of the aircraft. Each suffix letter used in the marks displayed must also be a Roman capital letter.
[(b) When marks include only the Roman capital letter "N" and the registration number is displayed on limited, restricted or light-sport category aircraft or experimental or provisionally certificated aircraft, the operator must also display on that aircraft near each entrance to the cabin, cockpit, or pilot station, in letters not less than 2 inches nor more than 6 inches high, the words "limited," "restricted," "light-sport," "experimental," or "provisional," as applicable.]

I believe most Cubs are 'restricted' or 'experimental'. Enjoy the reading!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Lins

Sec. 45.22

Exhibition, antique, and other aircraft: Special rules.

(a) When display of aircraft nationality and registration marks in accordance with Secs. 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 would be inconsistent with exhibition of that aircraft, a U.S.-registered aircraft may be operated without displaying those marks anywhere on the aircraft if:
(1) It is operated for the purpose of exhibition, including a motion picture or television production, or an airshow;
(2) Except for practice and test fights necessary for exhibition purposes, it is operated only at the location of the exhibition, between the exhibition locations, and between those locations and the base of operations of the aircraft; and
(3) For each flight in the United States:
(i) It is operated with the prior approval of the Flight Standards District Office, in the case of a flight within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for the takeoff airport, or within 4.4 nautical miles of that airport if it is within
Class G airspace; or
(ii) It is operated under a flight plan filed under either Sec. 91.153 or Sec. 91.169 of this chapter describing the marks it displays, in the case of any other flight.
(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under Sec. 21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with Secs. 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:
(1) It displays in accordance with Sec. 45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter "N" followed by:
(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or
(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft ("C", standard; "R", restricted; "L", limited; or "X", experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and
(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter "N" anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.
(c) No person may operate an aircraft under paragraph (a) or (b) of this section
(1) In an ADIZ or DEWIZ described in Part 99 of this chapter unless it temporarily bears marks in accordance with Secs. 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33;
(2) In a foreign country unless that country consents to that operation; or
[(3) In any operation conducted under Part 121, 133, 135, or 137 of this chapter.]
(d) If, due to the configuration of an aircraft, it is impossible for a person to mark it in accordance with Secs. 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33, he may apply to the Administrator for a different marking procedure.

I deal with the Canadian regulations on a daily basis, but if you need it decoded some, I can help out!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Lins

Sec. 45.25

Location of marks on fixed-wing aircraft.

(a) The operator of a fixed-wing aircraft shall display the required marks on either the vertical tail surfaces or the sides of the fuselage, except as provided in Sec. 45.29(f).
(b) The marks required by paragraph (a) of this section shall be displayed as follows:
(1) If displayed on the vertical tail surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces of a single vertical tail or on the outer surfaces of a multivertical tail. However, on aircraft on which marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed in accordance with Sec. 45.29(b)(1), the marks may be displayed vertically on the vertical tail surfaces.
(2) If displayed on the fuselage surfaces, horizontally on both sides of the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. However, if engine pods or other appurtenances are located in this area and are an integral part of the fuselage side surfaces, the operator may place the marks on those pods or appurtenances.

I apologize for posting these out of order...
Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Lins

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...e?OpenFrameSet
Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 AM
box car

In the pictures in post 591, whats with that type of struts. Is this a PA-18? I could not find another PA-18 with struts like that.

Ken
Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

That link that HoundDog posted dates you can use 2" on the old ones.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

ORIGINAL: box car

In the pictures in post 591, whats with that type of struts. Is this a PA-18? I could not find another PA-18 with struts like that.

Ken

It says in the post that they are Super Cruisers.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Zor your talking about military, witch uses Amarillo, vrs civies who use Roman.

I may not be up to date if there is such a thing as current (present) compulsory standards.

What I have was compulsory for civil aircrafts in the 1950s and I think still is here in Canada.

I am not aware of any differences for militay aircraft.

However since downloads are available then I guess I cannot be of more help than let modelers download the fonts they wish to use.

I have noted that some aircrafts registered in the USA are showing oblique (slanted) characters.

Zor

Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Lins

The Canadian Aviation Regulations do allow slanted letters as well to a certain degree. I think maybe 30 degrees.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Lins

CAR 222.01(2) specifies:

Marks Displayed at an Angle

(n) where the letters of marks are displayed at an angle,

(i) the letters are displayed at an angle of not more than plus or minus 35 degrees to the perpendicular of their base,

(ii) the angle of each letter and of both sides of the hyphen comprising the marks are the same,

(iii) the height of the letters is measured perpendicular from the base line of the letters, and

(iv) the width of the letters, the spacing between the letters and the width of the hyphen are measured parallel to the base line and between the lines that define the outside edges of each letter and the hyphen;
Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

SDF- see what you started! LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Flyitorcrashtrying

I think you are just confusing yourself. The two pictures you selected that inspired you for the paint scheme (same aircraft with the red horizontal stab) show the small numbers on the tail. Then you show two different aircraft, one exactly like the one that inspired you (red stab with small numbers on the tail, except on floats), and one with a similar paint scheme (that does not have a red horizontal stab and large numbers on the fuselage) You aren't designing a paint scheme for full size aircraft, nor altering one that needs to comply with FAA regulations (unless you think you can fit inside and fly it yourself) I think you had already decided on the small letters on the tail (that's why you originally picked the paint scheme that inspired you), and now are trying to confuse yourself (and everyone else) by looking at a different plane.

You HAVE been painting, maybe you should check the filters on your paint mask (they may need replacing), or you haven't shaven in a week and the mask isn't making the proper seal and you are breathing in to much fumes and it is altering your judgement.

But then again, you have changed power plants three time now.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

Ken

See what happens when you get old,, thanks I feel better
Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM
knucklebutt

See what happens to your build thread when you go off and fly for a day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denis
Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

Ken

PA-18 is the Super Cub
PA-12 is the Super Cruiser

They are 2 quite different airplanes...

Gerardo
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The photos I posted were just ideas. This is not a scale plane and I am just looking to the photos for inspiration.

Then again, I don't want to put something on my plane that is totally incorrect.

Flying today was excellent too!

SunDevilPilot
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Tuesday is even better than Monday ... Ya should try it ounce ...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
SunDevilPilot

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Tuesday is even better than Monday ... Ya should try it ounce ...
Must finish painting the wings! After flying Ed's 1/4 Cub I have to finish mine.

Phil

Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Bring Ed too ... Too nice to be slaving ofer a HOT Spray Gun ... LOL
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM
SunDevilPilot

This morning I started things off with a little work on the tail brace wires. I found a nice kit from Dubro and so far I am really happy with how they are going together. One side is threaded and one side is a solder type connector. I will get all the wires made then spray them with a little paint when I do the top of the wings in a few hours. The builder needs to cut the wire to length and bend the attachment points. I am also custom drilling / cutting the attachment points as the stock ones are rather long.

Working on the brace wires prior to installing the rudder and elevators makes the process much easier.

I would have preferred some 2-56 wires but I couldn't find anything with such nice hardware. The wires with these brace wires are 4-40.

SunDevilPilot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42690.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1729978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67745.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1729979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34746.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1729980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33237.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1729981  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
SunDevilPilot

With exception of paint the tail brace wires are complete.

After the rods were cut to length I inserted the rod all the way through the solder style connector. Then I smashed one end preventing the rod from pulling back out of the connector. After that I roughed up the rod in the area of the solder connector, coated it with some flux, and soldered the end in place.

The kit from Dubro worked out great!

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Sq47782.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1730050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95799.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1730051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62536.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1730052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27112.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	1730053  
Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
mrwad
My Feedback: (4)

Hey SunDevil'

Could you get a part # on your tail wire kit ? The pic was a little too small......Just what I'm looking for ! Didn't see it on Tower site....?

Thanks, Don
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
OLDFLYER2
My Feedback: (5)

Wow those look great. Gotta havs a set on my cub. Nice work.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM
SunDevilPilot

ORIGINAL: mrwad

Hey SunDevil'

Could you get a part # on your tail wire kit ? The pic was a little too small......Just what I'm looking for ! Didn't see it on Tower site....?

Thanks, Don
Do a search on Tower Hobbies for "Dubro 205". That should get you to the ones I purchased. Each pack has two sets so for tail brace wires you need two packs.

Here is what they look like now.... I decided to just paint a portion of them, leaving the connection points silver. The white in the middle is just the reflection of the flash.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Wu61441.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1730127  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.