Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

ORIGINAL: cannonball200

You have inspired me to finish my arf Hanger 9 1/4 J-3 Cub. It has a Dle 20 installed already. I ordered the tail braces you used to put on it. You have done an awesome build and I have really enjoyed it.

Thanks,
Eddie
of OKC
The H9 Cub really flys nice. My friend has that with a Zenoah 26 on it. A lot of fun to fly!

Thanks for the compliments.

SunDevilPilot

Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

ORIGINAL: cannonball200

You have inspired me to finish my arf Hanger 9 1/4 J-3 Cub. It has a Dle 20 installed already. I ordered the tail braces you used to put on it. You have done an awesome build and I have really enjoyed it.

Thanks,
Eddie
of OKC
The H9 Cub really flys nice. My friend has that with a Zenoah 26 on it. A lot of fun to fly!

Thanks for the compliments.

SunDevilPilot
That's When it's in "ONE PEICE" he he he ... Naughty ....
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM
SunDevilPilot

Despite the setback with the windshield the work continues.. I got a good start on the instrument panel and decided to roughly copy one I found on the internet. More of a blend of two panels. The red one is a PA-18 and the black one is a PA-12... So, like my plane, the panel will be a mix of the two. Mine will be much more simple but the basic idea is from the attached photos. So far I have drilled all the holes for the gauges. I omitted the smaller gauges on the right side and will substitute something else in it's place, likely some simulated switches.

The sizes of the gauges were made based on the forsner bits I already had and not a scale size (Thanks Ron, one of the sizes was from the bits you purchased for your 1/3 Cub).

Next I will scan the panel into my computer and create the printed gauges.

More to follow on the subject......

SunDevilPilot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74051.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1735047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99633.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1735048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94940.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1735049  
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM
HoundDog

Despite the setback with the windshield the work continues.. I got a good start on the instrument panel and decided to roughly copy one I found on the internet. More of a blend of two panels. The red one is a PA-18 and the black one is a PA-12... So, like my plane, the panel will be a mix of the two. Mine will be much more simple but the basic idea is from the attached photos. So far I have drilled all the holes for the gauges. I omitted the smaller gauges on the right side and will substitute something else in it's place, likely some simulated switches.

The sizes of the gauges were made based on the forsner bits I already had and not a scale size (Thanks Ron, one of the sizes was from the bits you purchased for your 1/3 Cub).

Next I will scan the panel into my computer and create the printed gauges.

More to follow on the subject......

SunDevilPilot
Check this out for Instruments ... http://www.inzpan.com/1_3_Accessories_s/98.htm
Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM
SunDevilPilot

Here is what I came up with...

Not all the gauges are correct for the plane but at the scale they will print, in conjunction with "Who Will Notice", it should not be a problem. At least not a problem for me.

As you can see I scanned in the wooden panel.... Made it slightly opaque in photoshop.... Then imported the gauges into photoshop and using the opaque panel lined them all up..

Now I just need to print the gauges out and they will all line up with the wooden panel.

Because I have no ink in my printer I will just send the file to Wal-Mart and have the panel printed on some photopaper. (I never print anything out at home anymore).

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Ca80181.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1735115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25625.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1735116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60372.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1735117  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 AM
HoundDog

Here is what I came up with...

Not all the gauges are correct for the plane but at the scale they will print, in conjunction with "Who Will Notice", it should not be a problem. At least not a problem for me.

As you can see I scanned in the wooden panel.... Made it slightly opaque in photoshop.... Then imported the gauges into photoshop and using the opaque panel lined them all up..

Now I just need to print the gauges out and they will all line up with the wooden panel.

Because I have no ink in my printer I will just send the file to Wal-Mart and have the panel printed on some photopaper. (I never print anything out at home anymore).

SunDevilPilot
Where's the Artifical Horizon and you Need a radio at least one. As good as the plane looks a little acurate detail goes a long long way.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
SunDevilPilot

This morning I started working on the windows.

Because I have never done it this way I decided to start with the windows on the door. The windows are cut from the supplied material at a slightly smaller size than the opening. Then the Fourmost U-Channel is applied to the edges making each window the same size as the opening. After the U-Channel dries I will glue the window to the frame.

The U-Channel provides an area / frame that will obscure the glue from the exterior view.

In the photos the windows are just sitting in the frame waiting for the U-Channel to set up.

Unfortunately our cat is diabetic which requires him to have insulin injections two times a day. Because of this I have a continuous supply of tiny syringes. I took a couple used ones and cut the sharp end off the point. Then I filled the syringe with some canopy glue. I used the syringe to "Inject" the glue into the bottom of the U-Channel. Then I applied the U-Channel to the windows and wiped / washed away any glue that oozed out. Worked nicely.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	By76456.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1735690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83520.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1735691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63356.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1735692  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM
SunDevilPilot

Crescent window went without issue. For now all but the door windows are getting their trim installed but they are not being glued into the fuselage. I'm waiting until I get my arch nemesis (AKA the Windshield) installed. The door windows were glued in.

Having never done windows this way I can tell you it is a little finicky with the small trim but quite simple to do. I think it really looks really nice.

The manual instructs you to just cut the windows, in one piece, to the rough shape and glue the entire piece to the side of the fusealge. That sounded a little lazy to me and I would not have been happy with how it looked.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Yw66886.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1735700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11119.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1735701  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
SunDevilPilot

Sorry I missed you Ron... Thanks for the bungee cover plans. I was at Walmart picking up the printed gauges. Here is what they look like..

I still need to put a couple details onto the wood portion of thepanel and polyurethane it but so far it is looking like I wanted.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Tr49392.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1735736  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
roncannell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The windows look good, the instrument panel color copy turned out well also.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
HoundDog

Sorry I missed you Ron... Thanks for the bungee cover plans. I was at Walmart picking up the printed gauges. Here is what they look like..

I still need to put a couple details onto the panel and polyurethane it but so far it is looking like I wanted.

SunDevilPilot
SDP ... Not to be pickey ... BUT the right 2 instruments the Altimiter and the DG are missing their Knobs ... The Air Speed Being a TAS indicator should also have a knob ... Sorry he he he
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

That's just wrong.

Now he'll be up all night crafting some knobs.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

That's just wrong.

Now he'll be up all night crafting some knobs.
Not the SDP, He's on Patrol to early for that ... Boy, Then it's a Good thing I didn't say anything about a Wiskey Compass Shame shame I have NO Shame. he he he LOL

OOPs Missed it ... The DG has 2 Knobs ... so sorry!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Ip is a nice touch. It will look even better, once installed.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM
SunDevilPilot

I'm still waiting on the plastic from Balsa USA. I received my plastic order from Sig but I want to see what the thinner stuff from Balsa USA is like before I made my decision on which to use. It will be here Monday.

Today I went to an open house at the local airport but I did manage to get the radio installation into the fusealge completed. Here is what it looks like now.

The switch is failsafe style from Fromeco, the battery is a two cell lipo (Unregulated), running into a Futaba 6208 HV receiver. All the servos are rated for high voltage (8.4V).

The battery and receiver are attached via sticky back velcro and a velcro strap. The battery will be removed when the plane is stored due to safety concerns with Lipo batteries.

You can see in the photo the antenna guide tubes I just installed. I used some canopy glue to secure the tubes into place. The vertical antenna is still wet but the glue will go clear when it dries.

The antenna guides were bent with a heatgun making the antenna enter the guides at a natural angle preventing the chance of breaking an antenna.

I also messed around with another new tool, a mini wood lathe. Usually I get a new tool per plane but this plane is seeing a whole new collection. I have never turned wood, and having played a little with it today, I can tell you it is quite a bit of fun. The lathe should come in handy on certain aspects of model building.

Now, if only I had enough money for a metal lathe!

Tomorrow I will likely put the wings on, find the balance point, and create the main battery tray.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Us52571.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1737299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53574.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1737300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99412.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1737301  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Zor
Banned

SunDevilPilot,

With a wood lathe goes a good shop-vac.

You have one already ?

Zor
Old 03-11-2012, 05:00 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

SDP if you give up RC to turn pens where going to come after you!

Here is a sweet gum ball ped that one of our members turned.

Name:	Tq48536.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1737373  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 AM
SunDevilPilot

ORIGINAL: Zor

SunDevilPilot,

You have one already ?

Zor
One of my friends got into woodworking for a short time. He purchased a dust collector then it sat in his garage taking up space. He basically made me take it from him so he could get some space back in his garage. When I got it there was more dust on it than in it. I have used it many times and it is really nice. It hooks up to most of my tools.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Vt56080.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1737395  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: Zor

SunDevilPilot,

You have one already ?

Zor
One of my friends got into woodworking for a short time. He purchased a dust collector then it sat in his garage taking up space. He basically made me take it from him so he could get some space back in his garage. When I got it there was more dust on it than in it. I have used it many times and it is really nice. It hooks up to most of my tools.

SunDevilPilot
Looks more like an Hospital Operating Room ... ya gota Make some chips
Old 03-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Zor
Banned

SunDevilPilot

That is a nice unit ........ at a good price

HounDog

Right on man. Where we do the surgery on our models.

Zor
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM
SunDevilPilot

I decided I would like to make up a faux GPS for the open side of my Panel. So, for now that area is blank. I have, however, started to finish up the panel. I drilled some holes on the lower left side for some knob style controls. I am making the controls from some servo style screws and metal spacers painted red, grey, and black.

After the holes were drilled I put on a couple coats of gloss polyurethane to complete the wood portion of the panel.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Yw66560.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1737437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15100.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1737438   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45764.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1737439  
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM
SunDevilPilot

I didn't get much accomplished today but I did determine the plane's balance. I put the wings on the plane and with the main motor batteries up against the firewall the plane balances. So, it looks like I got lucky with this one and will not need any lead to balance.

I also took the chance to weigh the plane with everything on it. In a ready to fly configuration I'm at 19.5 pounds, batteries and all. From what I see on the internet the H-9 1/4 Cub comes in at about 17 lbs dry with a gas motor so they should be comparable. The batteries alone are 3 lbs so I guess the plane is at the target weight per the plans. A little on the porky side but it should fly good at that weight. I would have liked it to be a few pounds lighter but there wasn't much I could change during the build.

Tomorrow I'm going flying and I will pick up the needed wood for the battery tray on the way home. I should also be receiving my plastic for the windshield tomorrow and I hope to get installed Tuesday.

Now that I know the main batteries will be up against the firewall I can start planning for the slide in / bolt down battery tray. I am going to make a simple rail system that the battery tray can slide into and be secured via a single bolt. Kinda like a quick change battery tray.

SunDevilPilot
Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for reference, the Hangar 9 1/4 Cub molded windshield is a close fit to the Sig, and cost only about $5.00 It is a little wider so I cut the parts of the WS where it would fit between the wing halves so it overlaps the wings on each side. Be careful trimming the H9 WS, cause it is thin and cracks easily. Good luck. I fly my Sig Cub with an electronic ignition modified Zenoah G23. Loops easily from level flight and does a nice prototypical roll.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
SunDevilPilot

Thanks for the idea of the H9 Windshield but it will not work with my model, based on the lack of the "Eyebrows" on a Super Cub. Had I left it a J3 that would be a great option.

The Instrument Panel, minus the GPS that will be added later, is complete.

I'm really happy with it. Has that fine wood look that I was after.

Some of the eariler photos made it appear somewhat light in color. These photos are almost exactly what it looks like in person. A deep rich red.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Li20872.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1737776  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Phil, did you have anything over the gauges for glass? If so, what did you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.