Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four Star .60 worry.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four Star .60 worry.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:11 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Star .60 worry.

Hey guys. Im at the point of gluing the wing dowels in and I thought I would ask yall about something thats bothering me. When I joined the wing halves, I did all I could do to keep the LE and TE straight as in fore and aft as I could. After much sanding I still have about 3/8-1/2" of, hard to explain, swept forward wings. If I stand the wing upright on the LE, I have about half an inch of gap at the wings joint.

Will that be a problem?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Four Star .60 worry.

One picture worth a 1000 words
Old 07-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really hard to get the wings built wrong, so I wouldn't worry about it. Sanding will only cause you problems as you can't accuratly sand the root rib with the wing built up without sanding some curve into it. If you line up the LE and TE so there is no twist to the wing halfs and clamp the root ribs together when you glue the halfs to gether, yourwing will be fine. This assumes that you used the dihedral gage for the root ribs when you built.

If memory serves me, Iseem to remember thinking my wings were not straight on the two Ibuilt, but it turned out to be a bit of an ilusion, Even if there is a bit of sweep, no harm is done. I'm flying a Ruperts Dad that has a 60" span with do dihredial and is built as one pannel, Ibuilt in some forward sweep when I built this wing, by accident. It fly's very well.

Don
Old 07-04-2009, 01:47 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: Alex7403

One picture worth a 1000 words
Allthough I'm into photography, that would be really hard to do. DoF etc. When I sit the wing on it's leading edge, I have a 3/8-1/2" gap at the wings joint. Which means the wing tips are swept forward by that amount.

If I were in a garage I could take a photo, but I live in a very small apartment on the 3rd floor. I would have to drag everything downstairs in 100* heat. My lens would condensate and stay that way for an hour.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:52 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: Campgems

It's really hard to get the wings built wrong, so I wouldn't worry about it. Sanding will only cause you problems as you can't accuratly sand the root rib with the wing built up without sanding some curve into it. If you line up the LE and TE so there is no twist to the wing halfs and clamp the root ribs together when you glue the halfs to gether, yourwing will be fine. This assumes that you used the dihedral gage for the root ribs when you built.

If memory serves me, I seem to remember thinking my wings were not straight on the two I built, but it turned out to be a bit of an ilusion, Even if there is a bit of sweep, no harm is done. I'm flying a Ruperts Dad that has a 60'' span with do dihredial and is built as one pannel, I built in some forward sweep when I built this wing, by accident. It fly's very well.

Don
Thanks. Dihedral and everything else is fine. No twist or anything else to worry about. Just a tad of wing sweep. And I know what happened. I tried to build the wing halves over the drawings and pretty much nothing lined up. Next time I will use a framing square to make sure the LE and TE's are square with the root ribs.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ignoring it is also a way to deal with the problem, if it 1/2" wing tips look forward that is what i would do (if I understand correctly).
if you sand it too much you migt create bigger problems so i would leave it as is, a new wing kit can be ordered from Sig. something like $50.
i would try to fly it as is before i fix anything else.

Alex
Old 07-04-2009, 02:19 PM
GaryHarris

Thanks guys. I was just probably being over anal. The worst 3 words in kit building is...

"thats close enough"
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Andrewmc

I seem to remember this happening during the wing of my 4*40 also. I think it has to do with the geometric centre of the dihedral not being the same as the rotation point of the wing when you lift up the tips. I don't fully understand how this works but I was certain that both of my wing panels were square before I joined them.... but the plane flys great. This difference between your model and other 4*60's could be that you checked yours and others didn't. It would be interesting to know if other 4* wings behave this way.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:47 PM
flying pastor

I purchased a 4*40 from a swap meet 3 years ago and found that it had forward sweep on the wings. It flies well and the sweep appears to cause no problems. I should just ignore and continue with the build.
Chris. UK.